• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ACC officially scraps divisions

It is the 5th FBS league to scrap divisions. SEC is talking about it. Will the Big Ten follow suit? I personally like divisions, but I get the feeling that this will be the way going forward.

I think having the 2 best teams play for a conference championship is the best thing, how they get to that point I don't know or care really. Not my decision to make.
Don't disagree but how can you ever get to that point if you do not play everyone within your conference.

The 3-5-5 inherently has its bias's starting with your 3 permanent opponents.

Remember the year tOSU lost to Michigan to finish tied for the conference title but Michigan was selected for the Rose Bowl?

Don't disagree but how can you ever get to that point if you do not play everyone within your conference.

The 3-5-5 inherently has its bias's starting with your 3 permanent opponents.

Remember the year tOSU lost to Michigan to finish tied for the conference title but Michigan was selected for the Rose Bowl?
I will admit that I strongly think there is no perfect way to do this, like you said unless you play everyone in your division. I don't see how that can work. Big 10 has too many teams to play everyone plus who wants to watch their team play the same opponents year after year?

I sure don't know the answer but at least looking at the Big the best two teams have for the most part been from the east.

It is the 5th FBS league to scrap divisions. SEC is talking about it. Will the Big Ten follow suit? I personally like divisions, but I get the feeling that this will be the way going forward.
Almost guaranteed, 7th ...... added B1G and SEC. How soon?

5 out of 5 Power Five conferences. If so, redo starting at 2023 B1G schedule. Same venues/dates in non-conference foes?

Last edited:
3-5-5 format ???

B1G will play a 3-5-5 scheduling format. Three permanent opponents, annually. Iowa for sure, and two remaining foes ........ Wisconsin or Minnesota or NW.

Eight game conference schedule with four non-conference opponents each season. Need one more non-conference team. Right now in 2023, sCUm(A), N.Illinois(H) and La.Tech(H).

Or else 3-6-6. Maybe 4-5-5.

Last edited:

3-5-5 format ???

B1G will play a 3-5-5 scheduling format. Three permanent opponents, annually. Iowa for sure, and two remaining foes ........ Wisconsin or Minnesota or NW.

Eight game conference schedule with four non-conference opponents each season. Need one more non-conference team. Right now in 2023, sCUm(A), N.Illinois(H) and La.Tech(H).

Or else 3-6-6. Maybe 4-5-5.
you cant play 14 regular season games.

you cant play 14 regular season games.
ACC: 14 teams
B1G: 14 teams

B1G: carbon-copy clone with ACC format ??

https://fbschedules.com/acc-football-schedule-format-set-for-2023-through-2026-seasons/

ACC will play a 3-5-5 scheduling format. Each ACC team will have three primary, or permanent, opponents annually and will play the remaining 10 teams twice during the four-year cycle, once at home and once on the road.
With the 3-5-5 format, each ACC team will continue to play an eight-game conference schedule with four non-conference opponents

For example ...
  • Clemson: Permanent opponents ..... Florida State, Georgia Tech and North Carolina State (official)
  • Huskers: Proposed permanent opponents ..... Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota
  • Clemson non-conference foes: Wolford, Florida Atlantic, Notre Dame and South Carolina Cocks (2023, official)
  • Huskers non-conference foes: sCUm, N.Illinois, La. Tech and ?????
  • Clemson conference 8 foes: see FBS schedule (2023)
  • Huskers conference 8 foes ..... I prefer 2023 Husker schedule: Rutgers, Terps, Hoosiers, Illini and NW plus fixed opponents, Ditch Chickens, Dead Badgers and Rodents :Biggrin:

Last edited:

ACC: 14 teams
B1G: 14 teams

B1G: carbon-copy clone with ACC format ??

https://fbschedules.com/acc-football-schedule-format-set-for-2023-through-2026-seasons/

ACC will play a 3-5-5 scheduling format. Each ACC team will have three primary, or permanent, opponents annually and will play the remaining 10 teams twice during the four-year cycle, once at home and once on the road.
With the 3-5-5 format, each ACC team will continue to play an eight-game conference schedule with four non-conference opponents

For example ...
  • Clemson: Permanent opponents ..... Florida State, Georgia Tech and North Carolina State (official)
  • Huskers: Proposed permanent opponents ..... Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota
  • Clemson non-conference foes: Wolford, Florida Atlantic, Notre Dame and South Carolina Cocks (2023, official)
  • Huskers non-conference foes: sCUm, N.Illinois, La. Tech and ?????
  • Clemson conference 8 foes: see FBS schedule (2023)
  • Huskers conference 8 foes ..... I prefer 2023 Husker schedule: Rutgers, Terps, Hoosiers, Illini and NW plus fixed opponents, Ditch Chickens, Dead Badgers and Rodents :Biggrin:
why did you mention "Or else 3-6-6. Maybe 4-5-5." in your original post? thats more than 13 games., hence the 14 game comment. ncaa currently limits regular season games to 13. about 5 years ago there was talk of increasing it to 14 but it never went thru. so its still limited to 13 games. thats why i was puzzled by your 3-6-6/4-5-5 comment.

why did you mention "Or else 3-6-6. Maybe 4-5-5." in your original post? thats more than 13 games., hence the 14 game comment. ncaa currently limits regular season games to 13. about 5 years ago there was talk of increasing it to 14 but it never went thru. so its still limited to 13 games. thats why i was puzzled by your 3-6-6/4-5-5 comment.
I like 40 or so games per season! Year-round! A few bye-weeks, December holiday break and January Madness (CFP tourney).

:Woohoo:

Unfortunately, good chance Huskers not qualified in CFP tourney. Thus 35 games instead of 40.

December holiday-January madness-early February ...... Huskers' break.

Last edited:

3-6-6 and 4-5-5 don't work. Those are for 16 and 15 team conferences.

There are 13 other teams in the B1G, so 3-5-5 mean 3 permanent foes, 5 this year, the other 5 next year, thus all 13 teams accounted for. That means a switch to an 8 game conference schedule, which due to media rights it sounds like the B1G is reluctant to do. If they want to keep the 9 game conference schedule, it gets convoluted real quick.

They could do something like a 4-5-4, but that means 9 conference games one year and 8 the next.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back