• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Aaron Buozos has decommitted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fwiw, and I am not saying this negative whatsoever but we lost a recruit today and stayed the same in the rankings for those of you that care.

I see where he was a two star and had no ranking from Scout or Rivals. Might have even upped our number a little.

(Quite) a few years ago, I applied to the Air Force Academy. Was a pretty big deal even to get chosen to apply. I was actually chosen by my local congressman. Ended up not getting accepted due to eyesight, at the time they required 20/20 vision (or close) to qualify for flight duty, to even be admitted to the Academy. So, I didn't go, but had I been accepted, I'd have changed my plans from UNL to the Academy in a heartbeat. As others have said, being actually admitted to one of the Service Academies is a big deal, and I sure don't mind losing a commit to one of them - in this case particularly since he was an unheralded 2 star. Best of luck to the young man.

Back in 1963, I became a midshipman at the US Naval Academy.

I still shake my head at how some sharp guys got weeded out during physical and mental testing back then. For example, one fellow told me he did not get in because he'd had a deviated septum from a broken nose. Another didn't get in because his knee cracked when they worked his leg back and forth. Another didn't get in because in the mental testing he answered "yes" to the question, do you have trouble falling asleep at night?

And my eyesight was just then beginning to weaken, but I luckily conned a corpsman giving me the eye test, by saying I'd just been given 20-20 by my local optometrist.

I hope more commen sense prevails today when it comes to admittance.

Has more to do with his measureables than anything else.....kind of like Admire and Bodtmann from a few years ago.....coaches need to do a better job before offering players off of what the coaches or players say they measure.

Yup as I said earlier....in this case they trusted his coach....

Lucky enough both Nebraska and Aaron came out of this okay....great education and wonderful career at the USAFA...

Has more to do with his measureables than anything else.....kind of like Admire and Bodtmann from a few years ago.....coaches need to do a better job before offering players off of what the coaches or players say they measure.

Lucky enough both Nebraska and Aaron came out of this okay....great education and wonderful career at the USAFA...

Yeah, I have not been on the recruiting board or giving as much info lately...kind of depressing what is going on sometimes.

You know RR it could have been an even bigger score if he would have went to ROTC Det 475 and got his commission that way. It didn't hurt me at UNO ;)

This is ICBMer's way of having my cake and eating it too:lol:

All kidding aside you can't be disappointed with a young man who see's a higher calling.

I'm an OTS guy myself....but yeah I get what your saying....didn't hurt me either...:) :)

Very happy for him....:)

You know RR it could have been an even bigger score if he would have went to ROTC Det 475 and got his commission that way. It didn't hurt me at UNO ;)

This is ICBMer's way of having my cake and eating it too:lol:

All kidding aside you can't be disappointed with a young man who see's a higher calling.

Back in 1963, I became a midshipman at the US Naval Academy.

I still shake my head at how some sharp guys got weeded out during physical and mental testing back then. For example, one fellow told me he did not get in because he'd had a deviated septum from a broken nose. Another didn't get in because his knee cracked when they worked his leg back and forth. Another didn't get in because in the mental testing he answered "yes" to the question, do you have trouble falling asleep at night?

And my eyesight was just then beginning to weaken, but I luckily conned a corpsman giving me the eye test, by saying I'd just been given 20-20 by my local optometrist.

I hope more commen sense prevails today when it comes to admittance.

Glad you got in, Bucky, congrats. I graduated from HS in 1973, so about 10 years behind you. What I was told by the AF folks was - to get admittance to the Academy you had to be physically pilot-qualified. To be physically pilot-qualified, you had to have 20/20 uncorrected vision. I'd always wanted to fly - would have been my first choice at profession - so that was doubly disappointing to me. When I was given the bad news - including not being physically qualified for flight training, the recruiter said they'd still really like me to just join the AF (but not fly) when I graduated from HS. "Umm, thanks but no thanks, I'm headed to college." As you say, hope that's changed by this point, I'm not sure if it has or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back