• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked AA for the Heisman 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruddman23

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Ok I know it's early but why not? Our schedule is favorable, he is a beast, good WR core that will draw attention. What will he have to do to win???

I think if he keeps his 100 yard streak going he should have a good chance. Taylor might snag a carry or two next year but AA should be the feature. Will Cross move to FB? I do think AA has a very good shot at the trophy. Gurly will be tough but AA has a better supporting cast

If Ameer comes back I thoroughly think he has a chance to be one of the more deserving college football players next season. But do I think it will happen?? Well we all know that unfortunately we have to be undefeated or a one loss team and definitely in would be considered a BCS bowl... Shouldn't matter but it does. I am Ameer's biggest fan, I just hope we are lucky enough as fans to find out if he does win it or not...........

MUCH of AA's opportunity for a Hypesman depends on team success. NU will likely have to be 1-loss or better.

What is interesting is the B10 is loaded on runners next year - Gordon from UW, Braxton Miller - OSU, Langford - MSU, Zwinak - PSU, Wiseman - UI.

He won't be back. The payday in the NFL is too big a draw.

There are many reasons to declare for the NFL and many reasons to stay in college ... but if Melvin Gordon is choosing to stay in college (Who is a much better NFL prospect) then I suspect AA will stay in as well.

Look at the attached ranking:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/RB

First of all - he's not even included on this 3 page list which includes potential underclassmen. Secondly, I am guessing based on the talent on this list - AA is at best a 3rd round pick!

Running backs are simply less and less a factor each year -- in both college and the pros. It's a quarterback's game.

Concerning college football, only 2 RBs have won the Heisman in the past 14 years -- and both of those played in the national championship game (Reggie Bush and Mark Ingram). Ameer has little to no shot of winning the Heisman -- unless he has one of those once-a-decade types of years. Regardless, Nebraska passes too much. Gordon at Wisconsin would have a better chance. He nearly equalled Ameer's total yardage -- but with 75 fewer carries, as he was sharing the load with James White. White is a senior, Gordon and his 7.8ypc average (compared to 6.0 for Abdullah) returns for Wisconsin next season -- in an offense that features the running game more than does Nebraska.

And in the pros... I posted a graph not long ago. The disparity between rushing and passing is at an all-time high in the NFL. It's more than ever before a passing league. Running backs mean less than they once did -- and most teams have a running-back-by-committee approach anymore. All of this reduces their value in the draft.

Last edited:
I want to see him back next year really bad, but I don't see it happening. He's a stud, and I see the risk of injury being far greater than him raising his "stock" any higher next year. IMO, I'd put him coming back at about 30%.

On a side note, I am dreaming of a Jamaal Charles and Ameer Abdullah tandem next season!!!!!

Heisman trophy winners, by position

2000-13: 12 quarterbacks, 2 running backs.
1986-99: 6 quarterbacks, 5 running backs, 2 wide receivers, 1 cornerback.
1972-85: 12 running backs, 1 quarterback, 1 wide receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back