• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A really surprising non fiction book that you cannot put down

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
At least I couldn't.

Fantasyland by Kurt Andersen. Published a couple of years ago, this is a roving screech about the way the U.S. has always been susceptible to fantasy versions of events, people, places, facts, dreams, urges, and all the rest. He starts with the Puritans and walks through centuries of our country showing how we constantly swallow the P T Barnum raving. He provides stunning detailed description of dozens and dozens of situations and events and fantasies of all kinds of frauds to the point that most 1st world countries think we are close now to not knowing the difference between fantasy and reality.

This is not a Trump book, although the last few pages of his historical account get to that. It is a stunning litany in chronological form from earliest days to about 2017 showing how gullible we are and how our willingness to believe anything, and to assume that because you believe it it is true, is frightening.

I think you will be stunned at just how many historical examples he gives in his book.

This book will be the subject of our next book group and I look forward to the meeting. I suspect the first comment will be that he overlooks good parts in some of these situations, and that is probably true. But notwithstanding that, he certainly makes his point

At least I couldn't.

Fantasyland by Kurt Andersen. Published a couple of years ago, this is a roving screech about the way the U.S. has always been susceptible to fantasy versions of events, people, places, facts, dreams, urges, and all the rest. He starts with the Puritans and walks through centuries of our country showing how we constantly swallow the P T Barnum raving. He provides stunning detailed description of dozens and dozens of situations and events and fantasies of all kinds of frauds to the point that most 1st world countries think we are close now to not knowing the difference between fantasy and reality.

This is not a Trump book, although the last few pages of his historical account get to that. It is a stunning litany in chronological form from earliest days to about 2017 showing how gullible we are and how our willingness to believe anything, and to assume that because you believe it it is true, is frightening.

I think you will be stunned at just how many historical examples he gives in his book.

This book will be the subject of our next book group and I look forward to the meeting. I suspect the first comment will be that he overlooks good parts in some of these situations, and that is probably true. But notwithstanding that, he certainly makes his point
So is this a story of American Exceptionalism... or does the author prey on the ignorance of readers who believe this uniquely applies to Americans?

Since it doesn't include events up to 2021, and knowing your history, I'm going to assume there is quite the political slant to it.

Exceptional in our willingness to believe fantastic things as real, a condition he finds in many strands of society going back to the Puritans.

At our book group last night, two of our members (one a foreign national, the other one who has invested heavily in Africa) said that most of the continent of Africa has many strong beliefs in fantastic and unprovable "facts." He also pointed out that Nigeria is expected to have a population as great as the U.S. in 20 or 30 years.

With respect to the mid-East and Far east, what little contact the group has had (which is considerably more than nothing) the beliefs in fantasy are mixed but where they exist, just as incredulous as those in the U.S.

Europe less so than us. Of course, Europe is much more secular than the U.S.

The main difference, everyone agreed, is the rapid increase fueled by the far right wing and led by Trump that believing whatever you want by itself creates facts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back