• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A really good break down of the blocked punt and an indictment on the clear lack of attention paid to ST.

SO many things wrong on that play . . . that write-up covers a bunch of them very well. But apparently, Iowa (who has a ST coordinator) had us scouted extremely well. Iowa knew what the cadence tendency was and what some specific formation/field-position factors were and they got exactly what they scouted/practiced.

If we are going all the way down to this level of expectations on the coaches, then the problem is players relying too much on the coaches because they are unable to figure out the basics of their position or unwilling to take on the responsibility. Then that would be a much bigger cultural problem.

If your stop gap is do what the coach says, then it isn't going to work. Guys need to be able to read what is out there and make an alteration. In this case WP should always have a punt protection sceme for him and should know it is completely wrong. While everyone on the line is pointing out their assignments, the Iowa guy on the left end probably knew he was getting a block before it was even snapped.

Yep...it goes back to coaching these kids up. Ultimately, PP is responsible for making adjustments, but I get your point about others not noticing and speaking up.

That is what is so frightening about all this. How at this level did EVERYONE overlook the situation?
See bolded.......The Iowa punt blocker was giddy like a kid in a candy store. They didn't point at me!
I would have went for that punt block even if I was not supposed to......

How many things is a punter required to know? If he can't identify that the wrong punt coverage is on, then he shouldn't be punting at this level.

This is a failure across the board and the punter bears as much responsibility as anyone.
Were we lining up properly the other times WP was punting?

SO many things wrong on that play . . . that write-up covers a bunch of them very well. But apparently, Iowa (who has a ST coordinator) had us scouted extremely well. Iowa knew what the cadence tendency was and what some specific formation/field-position factors were and they got exactly what they scouted/practiced.

This should make every Husker fan furious.

We're getting out-coached week after week after week. Remember (way back) when our staff was always way ahead of the curve? Now they're not even on damn curve. If negligence were criminal, SF would be serving life without parole.

Last edited:

This should make every Husker fan furious.

We're getting out-coached week after week after week. Remember (way back) when our staff was always way ahead of the curve? Now they're not even on damn curve. If negligence were criminal, SF would be serving life without parole.

We've basically lost TWO games solely because the other team's ST coordinator knew our tendencies better than we did and scored TDs off those tendencies. MSU knew that Cerni sometimes kicked left accidentally, so they put two guys back and had the other call for a fair catch . . . and the returner on the right had an untouched trip to the endzone. Then this block againt Iowa.

Our ST coaching and self scouting just plain sucks.

Not sure how serious the debate on the kicker's speed is but that wasn't the problem.

I'll just throw out there that I'll bet Iowa's coaches knew they were going to block that kick even before they did.

When one team lacks attention to detail their opponents see opportunity all over the place.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
~Nepoleon

That does it.

This winter I'll fire up my Husker Time Machine for a trip back to 2017, I'll convince SF to build a dynasty in Orlando and get Matt Davison to hire the LA Rams assistant wide receiver coach.

So... what did he say? It would be nice to know which segment at minimum..
Here’s the article where the Iowa player talks about practicing for it all week.

I am on the point of pouring out the kool aid after this analysis: Clearly the punt team did not change the protection for a different kicker. If Frost changed the kicker, did he make sure the punt team knew to change protection? with a different kicker, did the st coordinator (linebacker coach) make sure the players knew to change protection or was he working on defensive alignment? And most devastating about the coaching of the punt team and development of players--apparently the punter had never been taught to check his protection, and, in this case, see it was wrong and call a timeout. So, clearly no player development.

I am on the point of pouring out the kool aid after this analysis: Clearly the punt team did not change the protection for a different kicker. If Frost changed the kicker, did he make sure the punt team knew to change protection? with a different kicker, did the st coordinator (linebacker coach) make sure the players knew to change protection or was he working on defensive alignment? And most devastating about the coaching of the punt team and development of players--apparently the punter had never been taught to check his protection, and, in this case, see it was wrong and call a timeout. So, clearly no player development.
I agree.

Does anybody think this is limited to special teams? I sure don’t.

I agree.

Does anybody think this is limited to special teams? I sure don’t.
Honestly we know it isn’t. Poor clock management, guys being lined up wrong, confusion. Delay of game penalties at crucial times. It’s a team wide issue. Every year it’s something.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back