• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A look at Frost's nine wins in two years

What some people call excuses, others call facts. To simply flat out say something is an excuse seems to indicate it is something "made up" and thus, incorrect. I think there is a preponderance of evidence that says while MR isn't "evil incarnate", he is, factually, not a very good coach.
Unfortunately neither is SF after 2 seasons!

I just don't believe Chin is the coach to produce the type of defense we need to succeed in the Big 10. We've lost to many games in the last 2 or 3 mins because the defense gave up big plays. I was really disappointed in the IA game where we played soft and allowed them to get into FG range with 40 seconds left. They played soft IMO and there wasn't a lot of effort to get after their QB. No IA shouldn't have ever got the ball back but that happens. I thought our D would play fast and agressive which hasn't happened. Our tackling has been beyond laughable at times. We've made so so running backs look like Heisman candidates.

I agree the offense hasn't helped the D nearly enough this season and put them in bad field position to many times. However I saw our defenisve players constantly out of position allowing many big plays. How many big plays were allowed because we had no edge contain? After 12 games it still wasn't fixed and allowed IA to make some huge plays. I thought there was some improvment but not nearly enough for me believe Chin can get this fixed for next season.

I hope I'm 100% wrong about him because he's not going to be anywhere anytime soon.

I agree and this is why I think we go 6-6 [at best] next year. We won't be competitive until we can win in the trenches. We still won't have the horses to do that consistently next year, especially against our last 5 opponents. I don't see AM improving much and with Washington type back not on the roster we are limited even more. Tackling, turnovers, QB play, WR play, O and D line play, LB play. All are a big question mark for me.

We all agree that there's no reason to bring up Riley to blame the current struggles. By the same token, there's no reason to bring him up in this way either. While I think he forever sucked as a coach, it was unfair that he got fired after 3 years. Frost will get a longer leash because he's a better coach and a former player.
I don't understand this sentiment. If he sucked, why keep him? It seems to me more unfair that players and fans should stick with a medicore coach "because."

I'll bet Riley doesn't have a second thought about his time at Nebraska. Failure never seemed to bother him much.
Actually, he fought pretty hard to keep his job and was clearly hurt by the way things shook out. I don't think he knew that when SE was canned, he was already gone. He is, however, optimist by nature and probably hasn't thought much about it since it happened...smart way to live.

Last edited:
Actually, he fought pretty hard to keep his job and was clearly hurt by the way things shook out. I don't think he knew that when SE was canned, he was already gone. He is, however, optimist by nature and probably hasn't thought much about it since it happened...smart way to live.
If Riley didn't see the writing on the wall after Eichorst was fired, he was the only one in the state. I think he did; that's why he lobbied to keep his job. There's a lot to learn from failure if you look at it as failure. I'm not sure Riley looked at it that way.

MR fattened up his retirement program big time so I doubt he's got many thoughts about what happened at Nebraska. He did the best he could but it wasn't a good fit for many different reasons. SF is going to get a lot more time because Nebraska owes him another 35 million with the last extension. That's a lot of protection for the next several years even if we have losing seasons.

Actually SF was 13-0 after his 2nd season, so i would say he is a pretty capable coach. If you want to compare the two, and their resumes, it says alot about your agenda.
Please don't be ridicilous. First off he's not at UCF and 3 out of 4 losing seasons hardly qualifies him for HOF status right now. I've supported SF more then most but I'm also intellectually honest on what I've observed the past 2 seasons. As for my agenda it's to tell it like it is and if that annoys some people so be it. I'm hoping for a big turn around next season but we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I don't understand this sentiment. If he sucked, why keep him? It seems to me more unfair that players and fans should stick with a medicore coach "because."

Because if you're gonna be stupid enough to hire a mediocre coach, then barring some scandal or a complete disaster, even a mediocre coach should get 4 years.

Please don't be ridicilous. First off he's not at UCF and 3 out of 4 losing seasons hardly qualifies him for HOF status right now. I've supported SF more then most but I'm also intellectually honest on what I've observed the past 2 seasons. As for my agenda it's to tell it like it is and if that annoys some people so be it. I'm hoping for a big turn around next season but we'll just have to wait and see.

13-0 is still 13-0. It doesn't matter where it happened and it shouldn't be dismissed.

13-0 is still 13-0. It doesn't matter where it happened and it shouldn't be dismissed.
That's ridiculous. SF's performance at UCF is meaningless at Nebraska except to the extent it got him offered the Nebraska job and allowed him to command extraordinary salaries for him and his entire staff. Larry Coker says hi!

Maybe Scott should go have a beer with Matt Rhule?

1-11 to 11-1...2017 to 2019.

Maybe get a few pointers?

Baylor was also somewhat of a dumpster fire.
Matt Rhule looks like someone that lived in his parent’s basement playing video games all day and was cleaned up so he could get a job. Guy can coach though. I would put money on BU this weekend +9, if I was a betting man.

On another topic, HuskerWeatherman reminded me that our focus shifted to hiring SF instead of supporting the team down the stretch in 2017. I would imagine that was the beginning of the “buy-in” issues and resentment we have been suffering from. Not a good situation for a new coach. Needed to be handled delicately and I’m not sure it was.

Because if you're gonna be stupid enough to hire a mediocre coach, then barring some scandal or a complete disaster, even a mediocre coach should get 4 years.
Nah, admit you made a mistake and takes steps to remedy it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back