• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A great problem to have.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I remember when Fidone first joined the team. We all marveled at how athletic he was for a TE. Now we have Carter Nelson. Who, no disrespect to Fidone, is way more athletic than TF.

I was not 100% in on this kid till I saw him in the Polynesian bowl. He was by far the best athlete on the field. Not only was he outrunning LBs but he was out running DBs as well.

The coaches have said they will play him on multiple positions. If you are MR and Satt. Where would you primarily play him? Here are the options as I see them.

TE may be the most.athletic TE that the college football world has seen in some time. He is faster than al.ost any LB that will try to cover him. Only question is, how will he block against D1 OL and LB.

WR he may be the biggest strongest WR since a guy like Megatron was in college. I can not imagine being a 6' 180 lb DB trying to match up with him. Try to bump him he does not slow down. Play off and he runs an under route that puts you out of the play.

For either of the first 2 positions he would almost negate the Defensive ability to blitz. Leave a hole in the LB slots he will find it. God help you if he has the ball with a full head of steam.

FB/HB these are intriguing options. Although I think less likely other than in specific packages. Where you want to have 5 or 6 potential recievers on the field. 2 minutes offense etc.

Like I said. A great problem to have. Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

I remember when Fidone first joined the team. We all marveled at how athletic he was for a TE. Now we have Carter Nelson. Who, no disrespect to Fidone, is way more athletic than TF.

I was not 100% in on this kid till I saw him in the Polynesian bowl. He was by far the best athlete on the field. Not only was he outrunning LBs but he was out running DBs as well.

The coaches have said they will play him on multiple positions. If you are MR and Satt. Where would you primarily play him? Here are the options as I see them.

TE may be the most.athletic TE that the college football world has seen in some time. He is faster than al.ost any LB that will try to cover him. Only question is, how will he block against D1 OL and LB.

WR he may be the biggest strongest WR since a guy like Megatron was in college. I can not imagine being a 6' 180 lb DB trying to match up with him. Try to bump him he does not slow down. Play off and he runs an under route that puts you out of the play.

For either of the first 2 positions he would almost negate the Defensive ability to blitz. Leave a hole in the LB slots he will find it. God help you if he has the ball with a full head of steam.

FB/HB these are intriguing options. Although I think less likely other than in specific packages. Where you want to have 5 or 6 potential recievers on the field. 2 minutes offense etc.

I think we have two. I think TF has much of these capabilities but has proven it. Having much improved qb play and surrounding cast will prove it out.
I had to go back to 2009 and 2010 to find TE production in scoring like TF did last year. And we can go way back before that where are passing numbers were as low as last year.
Now thats not a thing against what you said about CN at all. He's just that good and fully agree, if I had to choose which one to use as a wr its CN.
Learning to block bigger and heavier guys that will be slower I suspect CN will be good at, he certainly did it against smaller and quicker guys and he uses his leverage very well.
Yep, a great problem to have, similar to what Iowa has had, just not as good of qbing at iowa, but though that is likely, still has to be shown, but again, the surrounding cast is better, at wr and at least as good at rb.

Last edited:
I think we have two. I think TF has much of these capabilities but has proven it. Having much improved qb play and surrounding cast will prove it out.
I had to go back to 2009 and 2010 to find TE production in scoring like TF did last year. And we can go way back before that where are passing numbers were as low as last year.
Now thats not a thing against what you said about CN at all. He's just that good and fully agree, if I had to choose which one to use as a wr its CN.
Learning to block bigger and heavier guys that will be slower I suspect CN will be good at, he certainly did it against smaller and quicker guys and he uses his leverage very well.
Yep, a great problem to have, similar to what Iowa has had, just not as good of qbing at iowa, but though that is likely, still has to be shown, but again, the surrounding cast is better, at wr and at least as good at rb.

I understand that it might be easier to use initials when typing but Thomas Fidone has not earned the honor of being called “TF” at this point. :thumbsup:

200w.gif

I see nothing but advantages running double tight end set. It’s the other team that will have the problem particularly when the double tight ends have one of our speedy deep threats on the field with them.
And the other devouring the seams and middle with a great wr to compliment him who also has size with a couple of real burners on the edges.
Blitz at your peril

It takes time to get used to the speed, strength and physicality of the next level.

No doubt CN will be effective but it takes time to adjust, to accommodate, to become effective.

I hope they find a way to get the ball into Fidone’s hands 50 times this season. The kid could have gone to a top SEC school and had an immediate impact if he avoided the injuries he sustained during his Freshman spring ball. I talk to his dad about once a month at the gym and the kid’s commitment to making Nebraska a winner again has never wavered

According to 247 Sports, his 7-foot high jump, which broke a 30-year record, is the highest of any college football recruit in 2024. He also pole vaults over 14 feet and runs the 100-meter dash in 11.05 at 6-foot-4, 215 pounds. He also throws the shot put over 52 feet, so you can see why Georgia, Notre Dame, and others hoped to steal him away from Nebraska football.

His vertical is what has my attention.

His vertical is what has my attention.
Even at 11 in the hundred he's going to make safeties and dbs work, then have to get position on that huge catch radius

Because he's a frosh. A very capable contributing frosh.
Never said he wasn't.

Fidone was nearly five star, rated higher than Carter. Had terrible luck with the knees. But saying Carter is more impressive at this stage of the game based on an all-star game with the best QB in the country throwing to him is a bit premature in my opinion.

Fidone will be playing on Sundays and I expect him to take one of the biggest leaps out of anyone this year with a capable quarterback.

I've seen posts about about depth and injuries (not just in this thread). After the number of injuries the past few years, will this year be better? Will the fact that the players are in their second year of a different S&C team make a difference in the season ending injuries that have plagued the team recently?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back