• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A fun one to watch or re-watch: 1988 Okie State

My last Husker season as a single man.

My wife and I watched in our apartment in Colorado. She was relatively new to my obsession, but had seen other games with me. I was alternately loosing it when we'd just blow down the field and score and loosing it when we couldn't do anything to stop Sanders or Dykes.

My favorite comment from her was: "Are they supposed to be scoring this much?" after Oklahoma State scored their third TD of the second quarter.

My answer, of course, was 'NOOOOOO!!!!!!'

Hart Lee Dykes was amazing.

... and also well compensated. That dude helped put three four schools on probation. I can't remember if it was A&M or Texas Tech, but he supposedly received a brown paper bag full of cash from a booster/bagman when he said he was going there,... and then he didn't. What are they going to do, take him to court to get their cash back?

Last edited:
In a matchup of AP top-10 teams in Lincoln:

• It was 21-0 before Nebraska even had 60 seconds of time of possession.

• It was 42-0 before the Cowboys could get anything going.

• In the first quarter, Nebraska ran the ball 11 times for 299 yards.

This is also a chance to see Mike Gundy back before HE WAS A MAN!!! We know that he was A MAN when he was 40, and we know that his QB wasn't (who I believe was 21 at the time), so I'm curious what the magical age is when a man becomes a Gundy MAN!!!

In a matchup of AP top-10 teams in Lincoln:

• It was 21-0 before Nebraska even had 60 seconds of time of possession.

• It was 42-0 before the Cowboys could get anything going.

• In the first quarter, Nebraska ran the ball 11 times for 299 yards.

Ugh. I was a sophomore in college and had to sing at a wedding that day. It was the worst! I think it was only 1 of 2 games I wasn't able to attend over a 5 or 6 years period. Everyone was in their cars listening to the game right up until the wedding started and then everyone ran back out to the cars as soon as they were able to. Bad planning for a wedding but it was kind of a rushed situation. LOL

Well Coach, the only other men that I know of who play college football are the Michigan Men. I don't know that age, but it is a clue. If we can figure out how old a Michigan Man is when he becomes a Michigan Man, we may stumble upon the coming-of-age of the Gundy Man.

I remember that OSU (before OSU meant tOSU) game. Indeed a fun game to watch. I forget if it was Dykes or someone else whom Charlie McBride refused to shake hands with, saying we don't shake hands like that at Nebraska, i.e. with the passing of money. Could have been a different coach, but I remember it being Charlie.

I forget if it was Dykes or someone else whom Charlie McBride refused to shake hands with, saying we don't shake hands like that at Nebraska, i.e. with the passing of money. Could have been a different coach, but I remember it being Charlie.

My biggest gripe about the whole NCAA rules enforcement is that their toughest sanctions almost always fall on the players and the coaches that follow the ones who were cheaters. They have no way of punishing the boosters beyond the most obvious--you can no longer be directly associated with the program--and the players who took the money are hardly ever punished. I don't have an answer, but there has to be a better way of doing this.

Fun to listen to the Okie State announcers try to find something positive to say about their offense. Sanders was an amazing RB but NU had too many quality athletes on defense and on offense.

Last edited:
Fun to listen to the Okie State announcers try to find something positive to say about their offense. Sanders was an amazing RB but NU had too many quality athletes on defense and on offense.
I thought that they'd get on my nerves quickly, but I actually didn't mind that they were calling the game. They were even pretty good. It might have been different if Okie State was up 42-0.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back