• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A Christmas Story Christmas

Red Dead Redemption

Baba Yaga
10 Year Member

Released to HBOmax a couple days ago. I watched it tonight.

Set your expectations low, this is not a very good movie. Boring dialogue, bad acting. But if you love, and I mean really love the first movie like I do, then there will be enjoyable moments in this one. It's a decent tribute to the original, with lots of nostalgia, including several of the original actors reprising their roles.

It has a few of it's own funny moments, and has a genuinely heartfelt theme and ending. It mostly rides on the coattails of the original, but since it was created as a tribute to the original movie and the passing of the Old Man (Darren McGavin), it mostly just reminds you of how much you love the original movie and it's characters, and makes you want to watch the original again, which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

Set your expectations low, this is not a very good movie. Boring dialogue, bad acting. But if you love, and I mean really love the first movie like I do, then there will be enjoyable moments in this one. It's a decent tribute to the original, with lots of nostalgia, including several of the original actors reprising their roles.

It has a few of it's own funny moments, and has a genuinely heartfelt theme and ending. It mostly rides on the coattails of the original, but since it was created as a tribute to the original movie and the passing of the Old Man (Darren McGavin), it mostly just reminds you of how much you love the original movie and makes you want to watch the original again, which isn't a bad thing.

The original has been a staple at our house for many many years. Sometimes you can't recreate the magic...and shouldn't try. Thanks for the review.

The original has been a staple at our house for many many years. Sometimes you can't recreate the magic...and shouldn't try. Thanks for the review.

What's really neat though, is that this is not just a sequel. It's also an 'origin story' for the making of 'A Christmas Story'. That was a nice touch and is quite clever.
There are enough little payoffs to make it worth watching this movie if you really loved the first one. It's fun looking for Easter eggs

Last edited:

It has a few of it's own funny moments, and has a genuinely heartfelt theme and ending. It mostly rides on the coattails of the original, but since it was created as a tribute to the original movie and the passing of the Old Man (Darren McGavin), it mostly just reminds you of how much you love the original movie and it's characters, and makes you want to watch the original again, which isn't a bad thing.

Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra!

What's really neat though, is that this is not just a sequel. It's also an 'origin story' for the making of 'A Christmas Story'. That was a nice touch and is quite clever.
There are enough little payoffs to make it worth watching this movie if you really loved the first one. It's fun looking for Easter eggs
Why can't you wait until after Christmas!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back