• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A Change In The Big Ten's View Of The Rose Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

LingonVin

All American
15 Year Member
I just read the Omaha World Herald article by Barfknecht: "Bloom off the Rose for Big Ten teams".

For the first time in a long time I completely agree with him. The Big Ten Conference needs to aspire to a higher bar than the Rose Bowl. I have never really understood the ties the Big Ten and the Pac 12 have had with the Rose Bowl. It always seemed so limiting to both conferences involved. Especially since the inception of the BCS.

Now that times are a changing, we can get back to aspiring to be the best, the top dog.............the Champion! At Nebraska we have been there mentally and are headed back there as we speak.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120428/SPORTS/704289851

Barfy nailed it!! If the Rose is your only goal, you will have problems achieving a National Championship. It will take awhile to shift the B1G mindset, but a Final Four will force some change.

I just read the Omaha World Herald article by Barfknecht: "Bloom off the Rose for Big Ten teams".

For the first time in a long time I completely agree with him. The Big Ten Conference needs to aspire to a higher bar than the Rose Bowl. I have never really understood the ties the Big Ten and the Pac 12 have had with the Rose Bowl. It always seemed so limiting to both conferences involved. Especially since the inception of the BCS.

Now that times are a changing, we can get back to aspiring to be the best, the top dog.............the Champion! At Nebraska we have been there mentally and are headed back there as we speak.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120428/SPORTS/704289851

Agree completely.

He made some points that were worth noting. However, until we see how the BCS 4TP works out it is too early to tell.

For example, the bowls could be entirely left out of the format. You only have 3 games to get to #1. Right now, there are 4 BCS bowls. I am not a math dude, but just a first blush it would seem a little hard working those BCS $TP games into 4 bowl games, as someone is going to be out each year. They could rotate, but seems like a real PITA. It would be easier to severe BCS ties with the bowls and let them go back to conference ties.

That goes to Lee's point that the bowls are going to become less significant. If they are out of the BCS 4TP, he is right. Yet, if they retain conference ties and are still able to get a few conference champions who aren't in the top 4, they will be able to get some great teams and have some great match-up. They will still be able to put on nice events for the fans and the players. It might even force some of the real lower level bowls to go away. So while they may become less significant, if they go back to regional and conference ties like before BCS (Bowl Coalition and before) they will still be able to build a great product that compliments that 3 game playoff for all the marbles.

One thing Lee missed the boat on is calling JD out for his proposal earlier this year involving the Rose Bowl. JD is very calculating. I am not sure how much negotiating Lee has done in his life, but JD was clearly using a skilled tactic when he did this. In a non-threatening manner, he layed out a pretty extreme stance regarding the Rose Bowl. However, he did it more as an off the cuff remark and not while in the midst of negotiations. He also did it knowing that last week's meeting was on the horizon and this would be a big issue. I would not call JD out until all th dust settles and we see how everything shakes out. I do not gamble, but if I did, JD would be a guy I rarely bet against.

But, the way it sounds with those 4TP discussions, a team will NEED to win its conference before it can go to the play-off, which, in the BIG means playing for and in the Rose Bowl. Doesn't it?

But, the way it sounds with those 4TP discussions, a team will NEED to win its conference before it can go to the play-off, which, in the BIG means playing for and in the Rose Bowl. Doesn't it?

No, I believe the conference champion talk is dead. Also, it's about a mindset, not a destination that Barfy is referring to.

he lost me at

"In 30-some years of covering big-boy college football, I've never gotten my head around the Big Ten's fascination with the Rose Bowl." oh that was the first sentence. lmao...cat needs to get over himself

its not rocket science...

I think its fair to say that back in the Big 8 days, we were all quite fascinated with the Orange Bowl, seeing as the Big 8 Conf. champ would get to play in it, and we always aspired to be the Big 8 Conf. champs...

Of course we were able to let those feelings go once we went through "The Change"

Last edited:
I think its fair to say that back in the Big 8 days, we were all quite fascinated with the Orange Bowl, seeing as the Big 8 Conf. champ would get to play in it, and we always aspired to be the Big 8 Conf. champs...

Of course we were able to let those feelings go once we went through "The Change"

weird...doesnt look so bad when we are forced to look in the mirror.

mirror mirror on the wall

weird...doesnt look so bad when we are forced to look in the mirror.

mirror mirror on the wall

Yes.

I'm not sure it is good form for the followers of an institution that has been in a conference less than one year to be bitching about the traditions and mindset of the conference that have been in place for multiple generations.

It is like asking to be invited to someone's house for Thanksgiving dinner, being invited to join the family of three generations of grandparents, parents and children, then once there telling them when and what to eat.

Last edited:
Yes.

I'm not sure it is good form for the followers of an institution that has been in a conference less than one year to be bitching about the traditions and mindset of the conference that have been in place for multiple generations.

It is like asking to be invited to someone's house for Thanksgiving dinner, being invited to join the family of three generations of grandparents, parents and children, then once there telling them when and what to eat.

To utilize your metaphor...It's like the rest of the world is eating turkey for Thanksgiving, but the B1G is trying to tell us that corned beef is the best thing for dinner since they have been eating it for years.

Last edited:

Yes.

I dunno, I don't really have a problem with it. It's just him expressing his opinion, it's not UNL's official stance on the matter or anything. It could be argued to be the case too. But I wouldn't presume as I have never lived in B1G country and never really spent a lot of time around B1G folks. But they do seem to have a stronger affinity for the Rose than other conferences ever had with their tie-ins.

I don't think the Orange Bowl is an apt comparision though, back in those days it didn't matter if NU was 11-0 and ranked #1, they were going to the Orange Bowl. So the aspiration of always going to the Orange Bowl was also part of going undefeated and winning the MNC.

Last edited:
To utilize your metaphor...It's like the rest of the world is eating turkey for Thanksgiving, but the B1G is trying to tell us that corned beef is the best thing for dinner since they have been eating it for years.

Did Nebraska not do its due diligence before asking to join the conference? :)

But the national championship was always the big goal. And a fascination with the orange bowl would never have prevented the Big 8 schools from pursuing something other than "orange bowl or nothing!" Ultimately, the tie with the Orange Bowl WAS severed...the emotional attachment wasn't a hinderance.

Big 8 fans, Nebraska fans, etc. would have canned the idea of the Orange Bowl in 1997 for a shot at Michigan...in the Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl or Independence Bowl. Would the Big 10 powers that be? Of course, the answer is "no".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back