• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

9 game league schedule

Should we abandon 9 the game conference schedule

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
Mentioned in the Omaha World Herald, with the 12 team Playoffs coming soon, should we abandon the 9-conference game schedule. SEC teams like Alabama and Georgia have an 8 team slate, while we face another Foe right from the gate. Looks like the strength of schedule really to me means nothing, why put ourselves in that Box especially since we definitely need some cupcakes for the first 3 games to at least build some confidence in a program that has lacked it for years. Vote and give your opinion.
You have to be like the SEC and put one of those cupcakes in November while everyone else is in the meat of their schedule. Much easier to jump teams in the rankings late in the year.

Mentioned in the Omaha World Herald, with the 12 team Playoffs coming soon, should we abandon the 9-conference game schedule. SEC teams like Alabama and Georgia have an 8 team slate, while we face another Foe right from the gate. Looks like the strength of schedule really to me means nothing, why put ourselves in that Box especially since we definitely need some cupcakes for the first 3 games to at least build some confidence in a program that has lacked it for years. Vote and give your opinion.
I do think that once the 12-team CFP approaches that SEC teams, maybe not Alabama/Georgia, will end up missing the CFP because a 10-2 Tennessee played a weaker schedule than 10-2 Michigan.

I do think that once the 12-team CFP approaches that SEC teams, maybe not Alabama/Georgia, will end up missing the CFP because a 10-2 Tennessee played a weaker schedule than 10-2 Michigan.

Although I think it's pretty common that the SEC teams have stronger strength-of-schedules than the Big Ten teams.

Here's last season's s-o-s rankings from Sagarin:

Georgia: 12
Alabama: 20
Tennessee: 27
LSU: 10

Ohio State: 29
Michigan: 52
Penn State: 43
Iowa 32

The SEC give’s its team's an exhibition game prior to “rivals week”. I hate it but I understand it. I don’t know why the B1G doesn’t do the same. 8 conference games, 9, who cares. Give your conference the best chance at success on the national stage. That’s what matters. It’s not about how many tshirts you sell in Nebraska or Ohio or Michigan, it’s about how many you can sell every where else.

With more noncon, I would posit that we get more developmental reps for second and third string. That is huge because we know injuries happen.

That was one thing I liked about the Bill Busch defense. They rotated guys and got them meaningful reps. Imagine if we had been doing that since the beginning of the year, or ....gasp.... during HCSF tenure. Instead we had DiCaprio Bootle running deep routes with WRs a ton, while playing every defensive snap. Bootle was a tough dude in my book.

Although I think it's pretty common that the SEC teams have stronger strength-of-schedules than the Big Ten teams.

Iowa 32
I have to question SOS … some of it is incestuous … and I know Saragrin is supposed to be objective and mathematical but I hope you agree something doesn’t make sense

… the SEC on a whole plays one less P5 team the the B1G,
… the SEC plays relatively speaking a soft non-conference schedule,
… the bottom half of the SEC (Miss St, Missouri, Vanderbilt, USC, Ole Miss …) have their SOS boosted by playing the upper half but they’re consistently losing those games,
… the SEC was 7-5 in bowl games with losses to notable powerhouses such Oregon St, Wake Forest, TTU and Iowa.

Iowa 32
Here are the Sagarin ranking for Alabama’s and tOSU’s 2022 opponents:

Team 1: 116, 8, 142, 95, 29, 39, 4, 19, 10, 30, 151, 45
Team 2: 17, 146, 79, 31, 114, 54, 21, 6, 103, 86, 37, 5

Team 1 average: 57.33
Team 2 average: 58.25

Team 1 played 3 teams in top ten: 8, 4, 10
Team 2 played 2 teams in top ten: 6, 5

Team 1 played 3 teams above 100: 116, 142 and 151 (another at 95)
Team 2 played 3 teams above 100: 146, 114 and 103 (next one at 86)

Team 1’s Std Dev … 53.8 (difference in caliber of opponents)
Team 2’s Std Dev … 46.6

SOS is determined, by who you play (and beat) and who your opponents played (and beat). The SEC doesn’t lose non-conference games so that inflates their SOS even if their opponents aren’t great. Then they beat up on each other.

Team 1 is Alabama and they had a #2 Sagarin rating overall. Team 2 is tOSU and they had a #3.

I have to question SOS … some of it is incestuous … and I know Saragrin is supposed to be objective and mathematical but I hope you agree something doesn’t make sense

… the SEC on a whole plays one less P5 team the the B1G,
… the SEC plays relatively speaking a soft non-conference schedule,
… the bottom half of the SEC (Miss St, Missouri, Vanderbilt, USC, Ole Miss …) have their SOS boosted by playing the upper half but they’re consistently losing those games,
… the SEC was 7-5 in bowl games with losses to notable powerhouses such Oregon St, Wake Forest, TTU and Iowa.

Doesn't really matter what does or doesn't make sense.

If strength-of-schedule is a consideration, very likely the playoff committee will use a source like Sagarin to determine it.

The SEC give’s its team's an exhibition game prior to “rivals week”. I hate it but I understand it. I don’t know why the B1G doesn’t do the same. 8 conference games, 9, who cares. Give your conference the best chance at success on the national stage. That’s what matters. It’s not about how many tshirts you sell in Nebraska or Ohio or Michigan, it’s about how many you can sell every where else.
The least the conference could do is give both teams a bye week the week before the Friday game

Legend…lol

He has you wrapped around his finger. Hopefully it isn’t double knotted. :thumbsup:

He is a legend among legends.

jmatlock will type 1-2 sentences ... 5-10 posters will react unkindly -- and it never phases him at all. Over and over and over again.

I love watching posters get their panties in a bunch over jmatlock posts. Some posters fall into his trap on a regular basis. Freakin' legend!

:Clap:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back