• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

9 game league schedule

Should we abandon 9 the game conference schedule

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
In fact, the middle of the pack in the B1G is tougher than the SEC.

Just think about Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, etc... and compare that against Kentucky, South Carolina, Mizzou, Mississippi State, etc.

B1G is deeper, top to bottom.
Uhhhhh no.

Just think about Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, etc... and compare that against Kentucky, South Carolina, Mizzou, Mississippi State, etc.

I don't see it that way.

The B1G + SEC rankings below are from Winsipedia's All-Time Power Rankings.

From what I can see, the Big Ten has 10 teams in the Top 25 while the SEC has 9. The SEC is stronger at the top, but the lower half of the Top 25 is dominated by Penn State, Wisconsin, UCLA, Michigan State, Iowa, and Minnesota.

On paper they stack up very equally, but I give the nod to the B1G for being thicker in the middle.

Alabama
USC
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Texas
Michigan
Nebraska
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Penn State
Florida
Texas A&M
Auburn
Wisconsin
UCLA
Michigan State
Iowa
Minnesota
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Purdue
Missouri
Maryland
Illinois
Kentucky
Mississippi State
South Carolina
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Indiana

Side note - FWIW, these two conferences combine for 19 of the Top 25 teams. The other ones are Notre Dame (5), Florida State (13), Clemson (15), Miami (18), Washington (19), and Pitt (25).

I’m not sure about the BIG being deeper. Kentucky could clock Iowa, Minnesota or Michigan State. Northwestern is just terrible. I think mostly, most of the power 5 is similar after you get past the top 2-3 best teams. I just don’t think the SEC is much better after the top few. They have more athletes, as evidenced by the NFL draft, but that doesn’t mean they have better squads.

GET TICKETS

Back