• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

9 game league schedule

Should we abandon 9 the game conference schedule

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Irish_Red

Recruit
Mentioned in the Omaha World Herald, with the 12 team Playoffs coming soon, should we abandon the 9-conference game schedule. SEC teams like Alabama and Georgia have an 8 team slate, while we face another Foe right from the gate. Looks like the strength of schedule really to me means nothing, why put ourselves in that Box especially since we definitely need some cupcakes for the first 3 games to at least build some confidence in a program that has lacked it for years. Vote and give your opinion.

The 12 team playoff is going to create a battle between networks looking for quality games and teams looking for easy wins. I like the 9 conference games, we just need to be in a position where we don't care if some of our conference mates don't get in because we gave them an extra loss :Biggrin: Hopefully sooner than later.

I'd be ok if they ditched that opening week conference game though, but I know that is network driven.

I like 8 and scheduling interesting teams. I always enjoyed non conference slates with one UCLA, Washington, Oregon, VaTech, Florida. Let's just say teams that have been historically in the top 30. One of those along with a Arkansas State and a FCS school to warm up and hit a rhythm.

The league rotations will come. I like seeing variety with at least one rival game that doesn't change. USC vs UCLA, UM vs OSU, Nebraska vs Iowa, Wisconsin vs Minny etc. Granted some are better fits than others but rivalry games are important and drive viewership. Look at OU vs NU televised for all those years.

Fans want to take some new road trips in more of the south where it is warm.

I do think that determining the 10th, 11th and 12th CFP participants may come down to SOS. But that will be for teams with 2 and 3 losses. So say a 10-2 NU squad with losses to Michigan and Wisconsin is vying for a CFP berth does playing a heftier non-conference make a difference? Would playing UCF be better than Indiana?

Teams playing 10 or more Power 5 opponents in 2023:
  • ACC: 10 of 15 (counting Notre Dame)
  • Big Ten: 13 of 14
  • Big 12: 11 of 14
  • Pac-12: 10 of 12
  • SEC: 2 of 14
Michigan is the one B1G team not playing 10 P5 opponents. East Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green.

Last edited:
Why? Alabama does - 3 cupcake non-conference games and usually one P5 game, many at a neutral site south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

We don't have ESPN pimping us like they do. That was half joking, but reality is, that is true and it carries weight.. it shouldn't but it does.

9 conference games makes sense, otherwise why add so many teams to each league.

The SEC has loopholed their schedules for years. They'll hide cupcake games later in the season when they are attempting to maintain their high ranking, rather than open the year against the cupcake. Playing one less conference game also means that half the teams in your conference have one less guaranteed loss, compared to the other conferences. The SEC should conform to everyone else, not the other way around.

Teams playing 10 or more Power 5 opponents in 2023:
  • ACC: 10 of 15 (counting Notre Dame)
  • Big Ten: 13 of 14
  • Big 12: 11 of 14
  • Pac-12: 10 of 12
  • SEC: 2 of 14
Michigan is the one B1G team not playing 10 P5 opponents. East Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green.

that is pretty freaking crazy, yet people still think the SEC is the toughest conference because they are told it again and again by ESPN.

ESPN should not be allowed to get involved in conference TV contract's. They are not just another conference TV channel, they are, and have been, a sports channel.

Last edited:
With the 4 games I would like to see us play 2 cupcakes and 2 power 5 teams with one of the P5 teams always coming from the old Big 8 each year.

7o5o2j.jpg

I think the SEC will end up playing 9 conference games. If for no other reason than that they will want to have a bigger media package to keep up with the Big 10. They'll need more quality inventory. But even if they don't, I'm a lot more excited about playing more conference games in the bigger Big 10.

With the 4 games I would like to see us play 2 cupcakes and 2 power 5 teams with one of the P5 teams always coming from the old Big 8 each year.
Being a elderly follower of the Cornhuskers, (and having husked a lot of corn in my time) I like to revisit the past occasionally. Having a game from the Big 8 Conference would help remember the good old days. On the practical side of things for the fans, most of the schools are within driving distance, even on game days.

GET TICKETS

Back