• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 10-4......pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are kidding right...if our own coach doesnt think 9 wins isnt good enough, why should I...support your coach

He's not kidding. He is not a fan in the sense of the word "fanatic" which is what "fan" is derived from. You see, cm is more a spectator, or witness, to a sporting event...and he happens to prefer the local team--he doesn't expect them to do well.

Wow...few statements could be further from the truth:

2008 OL players on roster (Bo's first year):

Mike Huff - Wasn't he a career back-up?
Andy Christensen - He was suspended, wasn't he? That's the only reason he was still there, if I recall correctly
Mike Smith - Starter
Barret Cruz - Did he ever contribute
Jacob Hickman - Starter
Keith Williams - Starter
Matt Slauson - Starter
Javario Burkes - Didn't contribute as expected
DJ Jones - Career back-up
Ricky Henry - Starter
Lydon Murtha - Starter
Marcel Jones - Health Problems
Mike Caputo - Walk on
Derek Meyer - you forgot him

Where are Bo's recruits? Walk on's?

14 players, that's it. That's a problem, not enough for a true two-deep. And, 5 of those guys were Seniors. See above for more comments.

14 players, that's it. That's a problem, not enough for a true two-deep. And, 5 of those guys were Seniors. See above for more comments.

With Bo at the helm our OL isn't even 1 deep.

PS- there were more on the roster, but most of the guys I listed were good/known players. Two started TODAY.

Last edited:
With Bo at the helm our OL isn't even 1 deep.

PS- there were more on the roster, but most of the guys I listed were good/known players. Two started TODAY.

Caputo and Jones, I know. But, Caputo walked on, he wasn't recruited. As I scan the roster, I don't see any other linemen that are not freshmen in 2008... Which who knows who to credit for those walk-ons.

So, you think the O-Line performed better under Callahan than it did under Pelini?

PS - I think this may be one of the places where Pelini needs to consider a change, so I wouldn't call the play stellar under Cotton. But, I wouldn't go back to the days of Callahan either.

Meh...Ohio St and Florida battled it out to see which team finished with a losing season.

Notre Dame just promoted a defensive coach to be their offensive coordinator.

Texas is actually tinkering with the idea of giving mack an extension.

Strange days, indeed.

It seems that our best players that contributed to us being competitive with top notch competition were Callahan guys and has we have progressed in years the more his players have filled up the program have not cut it against the big boys...again I dont want him fired, but anyone who is critical on this board is labeled as a bad fan and it is tiresome to have to defend oneself for thinking independently and not with the herd

I'm not sure I agree with your first assertion re: BC v. Bo players, but I'm willing to listen to your evidence.

Nothing wrong with being critical of the team, but you should expect people to possibly be critical of any evidence you use to support your conclusions, if the evidence is open to criticism. Thus far, your's has been, IMHO.

I don't think Bo should be gone. Should any of the others? Don't know. But if Bo decided to shake things up by removing Barney from his current responsibilities, I wouldn't think Bo was off base. But I'm also ok if he keeps him.

Some people may be bad fans and be critical; some are just bad fans I suppose. I don't recall anyone calling you a bad fan...maybe poor evidence, or reasoning, but not a bad fan. And I think there's pretty much a spectrum of views currently on the board with people agreeing with the varying views across the spectrum that obviates any herd type mentality for now. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Mike Huff - Wasn't he a career back-up?
Andy Christensen - He was suspended, wasn't he? That's the only reason he was still there, if I recall correctly
Mike Smith - Starter
Barret Cruz - Did he ever contribute
Jacob Hickman - Starter
Keith Williams - Starter
Matt Slauson - Starter
Javario Burkes - Didn't contribute as expected
DJ Jones - Career back-up
Ricky Henry - Starter
Lydon Murtha - Starter
Marcel Jones - Health Problems
Mike Caputo - Walk on

Nice job, Newi. I started to do what you did above, but realized I'm just pounding my head against a wall. Anyone who was paying attention knew the problems with that list. The cupboard was pretty bare, which is surprising for a guy that many consider an OL guru.

BTW, I don't think Burkes ever played for Pelini (or if he did, it was very sporadic). If I recall correctly, he had some condition that forced him to give up football.

Nice job, Newi. I started to do what you did above, but realized I'm just pounding my head against a wall. Anyone who was paying attention knew the problems with that list. The cupboard was pretty bare, which is surprising for a guy that many consider an OL guru.

BTW, I don't think Burkes ever played for Pelini (or if he did, it was very sporadic). If I recall correctly, he had some condition that forced him to give up football.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the specifics about Burkes, so I kept it generic.

People still see stars I guess. For a long time, I thought your defensiveness around Callahan/Solich/Osborne/Pelini/Pederson was imagined. I get it now. I guess, consider this an apology a long time coming.

People still see stars I guess. For a long time, I thought your defensiveness around Callahan/Solich/Osborne/Pelini/Pederson was imagined. I get it now. I guess, consider this an apology a long time coming.

No apology needed. Most of the guys who were critical of Solich and wanted him fired became huge calllahan fans, and most of them are the ones who are complaining about Pelini today. You may have gotten unfairly lumped in with them at one point in time. They didn't use the same standard to judge Solich that they used to judge calllahan, nor do they use that same calllahan standard to judge Pelini. I still think some of them are looking for revenge.

Last edited:
No apology need. Most of the guys who were critical of Solich and wanted him fired became huge calllahan fans, and most of them are the ones who are complaining about Pelini today. You may have gotten unfairly lumped in with them at one point in time. They didn't use the same standard to judge Solich that they used to judge calllahan, nor do they use that same calllahan standard to judge Pelini. I still think some of them are looking for revenge.

Many have what can only be described as a very unnatural hatred of Osborne (not many on this board... at least one... but most are operating on other boards now).

It's really weird.

No apology needed. Most of the guys who were critical of Solich and wanted him fired became huge calllahan fans, and most of them are the ones who are complaining about Pelini today. You may have gotten unfairly lumped in with them at one point in time. They didn't use the same standard to judge Solich that they used to judge calllahan, nor do they use that same calllahan standard to judge Pelini. I still think some of them are looking for revenge.

Make no mistake, it's not revenge (they are) after...it's a reckoning.

[/docholliday]

Thanks, I was certainly a Callahan fan (until, of course, it was impossible to be anymore), but I was also a Solich fan, and am now an ardent Pelini supporter.

I still think Callahan is a heck of an offensive line coach in the NFL. But, will never be anything more (at least not if smart people are making the hires). And, that comment doesn't mean I think he did anything well at the college level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back