• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

8 recruits.

Wow... shocked one of the recruiting media members went there....

I've said on here a couple times, our staff expected us to be at 10-12, and we are sitting at 8. So, could theoretically say we are 50% behind. It's not going awesome right now, but still a lot of time to change that.
Not trying to Cherry pick here but I believe they said 10-12 by the start of the season? We are still a few weeks away from the first game and it would only take 2 more recruits to be there.

Not trying to Cherry pick here but I believe they said 10-12 by the start of the season? We are still a few weeks away from the first game and it would only take 2 more recruits to be there.
I was the one that stated that. But putting things together, that 10-12 included commitments from Reed, Sekona, Morrison with a 1 commit buffer both ways.

Here's what Scott Frost has to deal with on recruiting:

5 Star Recruit: "What was Nebraska's record last year?"

SF: "4-8"

Recruit: "And the year before?"

SF: "4-8"

Recruit: "I see. And when was the last time Nebraska won a conference championship?"

SF: "Before you were born."

Recruit: "Alrighty. Hey do you mind if I put you on hold? Nick Saben's on the other line and I really want to talk to him."

Top recruits want to play for a winner, pure and simple. SF will get us there, but until we do get there don't expect a lot of 4 & 5 star kids to come knocking at the door.

Frost knows the guys he wants for his system. We're going to win some and lose some obviously, but I think in the current class you already see some that will be the kind of players who will be more highly rated in the future (after Frost shows what he can do with these classes).

A couple of examples:

Hutmacher - 3 stars. No doubt in my mind he's at least a 4 star. In teams that have a track record of recent success with their recruits, he's an automatic bump to 4 stars. He limited his recruiting pretty early, but a Wiscy, Oregon, and NU offer list shows quality already

Gunnerson - 3 stars. He's another guy who limited his teams to more local, but is clearly a higher level guy than a 3 star.

Others on our current list are potentially better than their rankings - a guy like Lynum is one that if we show we can take this bigger corners and work with them, will get a auto bump from us pursuing. In Lynum's case, does anyone think Frost can't ID the guys he wants in Florida?

One other thing that I think is limiting the commits right now is that we don't know where we need the most talent just yet. I'm guessing they get more aggressive when they see where things stand after Fall camp. If Duval's been as successful as people are saying, it may mean we can be super aggressive in going after highly contested and difficult to land players who are difference makers, but if not, we may need to offer and land depth at certain spots.

Winning helps the most, but I trust Frost to find, offer and land the guys he needs to turn this program around... when he does that, the recruiting services will take notice and guys like Hutmacher will be auto 4 stars in the rankings, IMO

On 247 Gunnerson is a 4 star and #132 on the Top 247

Nash Hutmacher is also a 4 star in 247 just outside of the Top 247

On 247 Gunnerson is a 4 star and #132 on the Top 247

Nash Hutmacher is also a 4 star in 247 just outside of the Top 247
Do you have a link? This one doesn't show that:

Go to their recruiting profiles on 247Sports. Gunnerson is a 247Sports 4-Star ranked #132 and Hutmacher is a 247Sports 4-Star ranked #311. Both are 3-Star Composites. The links are found in the 2020 OV thread....on my phone or I could post those here.

Last edited:

Frost knows the guys he wants for his system. We're going to win some and lose some obviously, but I think in the current class you already see some that will be the kind of players who will be more highly rated in the future (after Frost shows what he can do with these classes).

A couple of examples:

Hutmacher - 3 stars. No doubt in my mind he's at least a 4 star. In teams that have a track record of recent success with their recruits, he's an automatic bump to 4 stars. He limited his recruiting pretty early, but a Wiscy, Oregon, and NU offer list shows quality already

Gunnerson - 3 stars. He's another guy who limited his teams to more local, but is clearly a higher level guy than a 3 star.

Others on our current list are potentially better than their rankings - a guy like Lynum is one that if we show we can take this bigger corners and work with them, will get a auto bump from us pursuing. In Lynum's case, does anyone think Frost can't ID the guys he wants in Florida?

One other thing that I think is limiting the commits right now is that we don't know where we need the most talent just yet. I'm guessing they get more aggressive when they see where things stand after Fall camp. If Duval's been as successful as people are saying, it may mean we can be super aggressive in going after highly contested and difficult to land players who are difference makers, but if not, we may need to offer and land depth at certain spots.

Winning helps the most, but I trust Frost to find, offer and land the guys he needs to turn this program around... when he does that, the recruiting services will take notice and guys like Hutmacher will be auto 4 stars in the rankings, IMO

That might have been the case heading into last year, but if this staff doesn't have a handle on where their roster sits in terms of talent, depth, need, etc., that's a huge concern. Trust me, that's not the case.

I guess my take is he was referring to instant gratification for hard work versus waiting to have the gratification in a couple of years? Athletes at this level, for the most part, have worked hard. Yes, some are just truly blessed to have ability handed to them.

I disagree with the premise that he made of "a lot of elite players aren't all that excited about coming to a place where hard work is job #1."

A lot? I guess it's all relative, but there are a TON of kids who go to programs ready to work their asses off. Are there some who don't? Of course. But that's where vetting kids is so important. You want to identify kids who are not only elite athletes, but kids who love the game and want to work hard and be great. Like you said, there are kids who just have the game come so easy to them, they really don't have to work hard (or as hard as others) to be successful in HS.

A lot of kids are just athletes. They're good at every sport they play. They play football because it's their best sport and have opportunities with it. Then they get to college, find out there are 80 other kids just as naturally talented, and aren't willing to do the things necessary to take take their games to another level. It's a lot of hard work, sacrifice and commitment and some kids aren't interested deep down to do that.

The top schools created a culture of competition and hard work. They sign four and five-star kids who choose schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc in large part because they want to compete. They know those schools get kids into the league and play for championships. Frost is still building his program. They'll get to that point.

Go to their recruiting profiles on 247Sports. Gunnerson is a 247Sports 4-Star ranked #132 and Hutmacher is a 247Sports 4-Star ranked #311. Both are 3-Star Composites. The links are found in the 2020 OV thread....on my phone or I could post those here.
OK I see it: But still shows 3 Stars.

Gunnerson: 247 Composite= 370, Top 247=132

Blaise Gunnerson

Blaise GunnersonKuemper Catholic School System (Carroll, IA)
SDE
6-5 / 250
Natl:364 Pos:17 St:3
Nebraska

Hutmaker: 247 Composite=480, Top 247=312
Nash Hutmacher

Nash HutmacherChamberlain (Chamberlain, SD)
DT
6-5 / 285
Natl:471 Pos:44 St:1
Nebraska

OK I see it: But still shows 3 Stars.

Gunnerson: 247 Composite= 370, Top 247=132

Blaise Gunnerson

Blaise GunnersonKuemper Catholic School System (Carroll, IA)
SDE
6-5 / 250
Natl:364 Pos:17 St:3
Nebraska

View attachment 27367

Hutmaker: 247 Composite=480, Top 247=312
Nash Hutmacher

Nash HutmacherChamberlain (Chamberlain, SD)
DT
6-5 / 285
Natl:471 Pos:44 St:1
Nebraska

View attachment 27368
Yep, I pointed out they both had 3-Star composite rankings. Their 247Sports rankings have them at 4-Stars.

Its on each recruits page. Don't look at the composite but the 247 rating at the bottom of the page on each page

Gunnerson just got his big bump

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back