• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

8 recruits.

I hope this isnt a sign that Frost and this staff are sub par recruiters and great game day and development coaches. We need a staff thats great at recruiting.
Overall last years class was pretty darn good, so you have to wonder what the deal is?? Has to be a reason. One that isnt spun to seem like some big positive, but a real reason?

Last edited:
I agree with everything he said in your synopsis. People want to spin it as a good thing that Nebraska only has 8 commits. That's ridiculous. There's a reason most teams are sitting at twice that, and teams like Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Florida State, Penn State, etc are around 20 (or more). Nebraska would like to head into the season with 15-18 on a regular basis.

I mean, seriously, people think Frost wants to add 60%+ of his class during the season? Gimme a break. Ideally, teams want to focus on a half dozen spots and zero in on their big fish who are taking their recruitments to signing day.
RR will always spin stuff in some positive manner. REgardless. We will see if he continues, if not thats a big sign of concern lol

I'm guessing we'll have capacity to take 26'ish this year but I bet we leave a few on the table given the slower than expected early results. Hopefully we can put some good wins together this year and bring in a great 2021 class.

IMO we will get our big surge after N. Illinois provided we take care of business at CU. A big win at CU will open a lot of recruit's eyes and the commits will begin after the many official visits for N. Illinois.

I agree with everything he said in your synopsis. People want to spin it as a good thing that Nebraska only has 8 commits. That's ridiculous. There's a reason most teams are sitting at twice that, and teams like Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Florida State, Penn State, etc are around 20 (or more). Nebraska would like to head into the season with 15-18 on a regular basis.

I mean, seriously, people think Frost wants to add 60%+ of his class during the season? Gimme a break. Ideally, teams want to focus on a half dozen spots and zero in on their big fish who are taking their recruitments to signing day.

Interesting segment on Early Break this morning with Mike Schaefer on recruiting. He says that there just are not enough high-end guys left out there to move this class into a top 15 class as he had thought would happen for 2020 unless they can flip some guys. He also mentions that if you asked the coaches they would tell you that they are surprised at the lack of commitments up to this point.

He also suggests that they may not hit a top 20 recruiting class his year. This discussion starts around the 14 minute mark.

https://theticketfm.com/early-break/700-mike-schaefer-247-sports-huskers-illustrated-part-1/

Well that blows chunks.....and I don't think I'm faint-hearted.

Last edited:
Well that blows chunks.....and I don't think I'm faint-hearted.
This is indeed interesting. I still think S&C and good coaching can make a tremendous difference. I can remember times under both CD and Tom when the recruiting classes were not well regarded, but both coaches put very good teams on the field. I will wait a couple of years before jumping off of the cliff.

Interesting segment on Early Break this morning with Mike Schaefer on recruiting. He says that there just are not enough high-end guys left out there to move this class into a top 15 class as he had thought would happen for 2020 unless they can flip some guys. He also mentions that if you asked the coaches they would tell you that they are surprised at the lack of commitments up to this point.

He also suggests that they may not hit a top 20 recruiting class his year. This discussion starts around the 14 minute mark.

https://theticketfm.com/early-break/700-mike-schaefer-247-sports-huskers-illustrated-part-1/
Yup, the fact that so many players are committing early is not a good development for us. Our game day experience is a huge selling point, and many players are now committing before the season even starts.

This is indeed interesting. I still think S&C and good coaching can make a tremendous difference. I can remember times under both CD and Tom when the recruiting classes were not well regarded, but both coaches put very good teams on the field. I will wait a couple of years before jumping off of the cliff.

I don't think anyone is jumping off a cliff because Mike Schaefer and N2FL says Huskers might not be where they want to be in recruiting at this point. That's not something fans want to hear, but certainly not worth plunging off the cliff.

I think this year's class will be very highly regarded. The guys in it so far are all studs! ..and there will be more. My comment had nothing to do with class rankings....just hate to hear that the experts think the coaches have more work to do during the season than maybe the coaches themselves would like.

This has been my concern all along. This year it seems we have been the bridesmaid more than ever. On top of that an extraordinary amount of high end commits to the top teams certainly makes it more than an up hill battle. We need some flips in the season and then get our remaining guys and not miss, if we want a top 15 class. I'm not seeing it this year.

Could this be a facilities issue? We will see much more talk about an upgrade this fall? Maybe a hot team? big wins and renewed national interest would make an ideal time for fund raising!

Of course this isn't ideal, but I'm not in total panic like some. I don't see this as a failure in the coaches attempts to bring kids in, but in some well deserved skepticism in where we are as a program. When you look at the kids who we've targeted, and primarily the ones we've lost, many were going to places that have simply been more visible, Bowl games, competing well in the conference, network/prime time games. Some were staying closer to home, and that’s kind of understandable. I don't understand the shock in all of this. The silly notion that the 'coaches might not be good recruiters' ignores that any coach, at just about any P5 school can recruit. There are a ton of really great guys out there, building relationships, pushing the right buttons, selling the strengths of their schools, and one of those strengths that our coaches don't currently have is recent success. Heck, when a coach mentions they were in San Diego last New Year's Eve playing in the Holiday Bowl, and then follows it with 'ask Coach Frost where he was last year, or where Coach Riley was the year before', that kind of puts a damper on the conversation.

If we'd gone out and put up 7-5 last year, I think the class would be looking far better. And before we get too excited about the strong 4 games, and including solid losing performances against OSU and Iowa, let's not forget we basically crapped the bed the first half of the season. I'm with many of my counterparts in believing that based on our results early this year, we will see some serious interest, including flipping at least a couple of kids we'd targeted earlier. I hate to use the term 'place holder', but that's what some of these situation will look like when we flip some kids back. I really think our lack of numbers is purely because of some uncertainty, and you know full well that's been a topic opponents are bringing into the equation. I don't think we need to be undefeated the first 5-6 games to get the ball rolling, but we can't stagger and expect things to fall into place. Each win that keeps us above .500 can bring in 2 to 3 new commits, and we will put 4-8 further in the rearview mirror.

Last edited:

Could this be a facilities issue? We will see much more talk about an upgrade this fall? Maybe a hot team? big wins and renewed national interest would make an ideal time for fund raising!
It might be. I was a little surprised and disappointed to see We were not in the top 20 of this listing:

Last edited:
While this is certainly a concern, I will still take the glass half full approach somewhat. They already have their class QB (a really good one), and their top OL, DL, and LB targets (all 4-5 star talents). We'd all be rightfully freaking out if Nebraska hadn't landed 1 or more of those guys.

RR will always spin stuff in some positive manner. REgardless. We will see if he continues, if not thats a big sign of concern lol

And you will personally attack other posters again and again when you and I have had this discussion both on the forum and in PMs more times than I can remember. I have given you brake after brake however that stops now.

Your banned from this thread and I am giving you a couple of days off because I am tired of telling you

Oh and for the record I agreed with N2FL that recruiting is a concern right now. However I think before its said and done we will be Top 20

I could go all personal on you now but there is no point

RR

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back