• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

8 recruits.

Winning fixes everything, GBR.

And not just winning but I think creating some excitement will go a long way. If NU beats Ohio State there'll be a lot of "Nebraska is Back" talk. We'll be the most talked about school on ESPN for a week. I would take a win over OSU if it meant we had to take losses to the likes of Purdue and Minnesota. I think 9-4 with a win over a big time program like the Buckeyes would do more for recruiting than 10-3 with wins over the mediocre teams on our schedule and losses to the good ones.

I kind of like what your 9-4 scenario depicts — losses to Purdue & Minnesota translates to probably 2 wins of the following three: Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin ... and, a B1G Championship appearance.

That would be very substantial progress in year two!

I kind of like what your 9-4 scenario depicts — losses to Purdue & Minnesota translates to probably 2 wins of the following three: Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin ... and, a B1G Championship appearance.

That would be very substantial progress in year two!

Not only would it be progress but the preseason hype for 2020 would be through the roof. We have (most likely) the entire starting offense coming back next year. If we can find a defensive playmaker or two to make up for the loss of Mo Barry then we're a preseason top 10 team. Recruits buy into hype just as much as substance. We'll be able to bag some really highly ranked kids in that scenario.

I know this has been discussed a bit in other threads but I don't want it to get lost in the 84th post. If ever there was a year to go into a season with a low number this is it. There are a lot of factors that haven't taken place yet that are affecting it. Most notably is they had to use up all their official visits in their first year. I really believe that SF has set the tone for a great set of recruits that are a little bit on the fence right now. I think a great season this year...….which I am expecting...….and we will see a flood gate of recruits coming in that will satisfy both the fans that study player evaluation/position needs and those of us that are star gazers. I'm glad we don't have 20 commits right now with no room at the Inn for those end of season highly ranked recruits who have had they eyes awakened.

Great post. I think one of the reasons for creating a huge roster and walk on development is to swing for the fences on highly rated players.

Not only would it be progress but the preseason hype for 2020 would be through the roof. We have (most likely) the entire starting offense coming back next year. If we can find a defensive playmaker or two to make up for the loss of Mo Barry then we're a preseason top 10 team. Recruits buy into hype just as much as substance. We'll be able to bag some really highly ranked kids in that scenario.
There's a 5* ILB from Alabama that just re-entered himself in the transfer portal.

There's a 5* ILB from Alabama that just re-entered himself in the transfer portal.

Yep saw that. Eyabi Anoma. Looks like he's entering though because he got suspended. It's always great to add talent but I'm sure Frost would do his due diligence related to any potential character issues before accepting someone on to the team.

Yep saw that. Eyabi Anoma. Looks like he's entering though because he got suspended. It's always great to add talent but I'm sure Frost would do his due diligence related to any potential character issues before accepting someone on to the team.

Without question, he's a talent you roll the dice with.

our on-field performance this year seems to important to our recruiting. this is a "show it" moment - if we can get to the Big ten championship game, if we can just at least put on a show for the recruits who come to tOSU, then this thing is really going to get hot. we'll probably be a hair too late to see it really kick in for this class. on the other hand, if we have a 6-7 win season, we will really suffer on the trail, and we could find ourselves in a rut

Interesting segment on Early Break this morning with Mike Schaefer on recruiting. He says that there just are not enough high-end guys left out there to move this class into a top 15 class as he had thought would happen for 2020 unless they can flip some guys. He also mentions that if you asked the coaches they would tell you that they are surprised at the lack of commitments up to this point.

He also suggests that they may not hit a top 20 recruiting class his year. This discussion starts around the 14 minute mark.

https://theticketfm.com/early-break/700-mike-schaefer-247-sports-huskers-illustrated-part-1/

Last edited:

Interesting segment on Early Break this morning with Mike Schaefer on recruiting. He says that there just are not enough high-end guys left out there to move this class into a top 15 class as he had thought would happen for 2020 unless they can flip some guys. He also mentions that if you asked the coaches they would tell you that they are surprised at the lack of commitments up to this point.

He also suggests that they may not hit a top 20 recruiting class his year. This discussion starts around the 14 minute mark.

https://theticketfm.com/early-break/700-mike-schaefer-247-sports-huskers-illustrated-part-1/

Thanks for sharing. Looking at the remaining prospects on the board, I don't doubt that Mike is right in his assertion. I still think we can be a top 25 class but last year's haul will be tough to repeat. I'm betting we flip a couple folks, especially when we get rolling this year and firings happen toward November and December. I also think we'll identify a few under the radar folks that have big senior years. I don't recall Myles Farmer or Jimmy Fritsche being on our radar at all this time last year (though I could be wrong).

I'm wondering why this recruiting class has played out as it has thus far. I think a lot of us felt we had Top 15 potential this year, especially since Frost and co. had done a terrific job of getting out ahead for 2020 in talking with prospects. And that did pay off with guys like Corcoran, Hutmacher, etc. We did nab our top prospects at a lot of positions and that's been understated in the wake of our hand wringing at only having 8 commits to this point.

A lot of folks have cited our back-to-back 4-8 seasons, and I certainly think that's a big culprit. But I also wonder if we're still adapting to the expedited recruiting calendar in light of the December signing period. I remember back in 2009/2010, Ted Gilmore made a remark that when the coaching staff came back from their summer vacations, a lot of their top prospects had committed elsewhere, signaling that they weren't prepared for the way recruiting had changed in recent years.

If that's the case, you have to know a competitor like Frost will adjust accordingly in the cycles to come.

I agree with everything he said in your synopsis. People want to spin it as a good thing that Nebraska only has 8 commits. That's ridiculous. There's a reason most teams are sitting at twice that, and teams like Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Florida State, Penn State, etc are around 20 (or more). Nebraska would like to head into the season with 15-18 on a regular basis.

I mean, seriously, people think Frost wants to add 60%+ of his class during the season? Gimme a break. Ideally, teams want to focus on a half dozen spots and zero in on their big fish who are taking their recruitments to signing day.

I agree with everything he said in your synopsis. People want to spin it as a good thing that Nebraska only has 8 commits. That's ridiculous. There's a reason most teams are sitting at twice that, and teams like Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Florida State, Penn State, etc are around 20 (or more). Nebraska would like to head into the season with 15-18 on a regular basis.

I mean, seriously, people think Frost wants to add 60%+ of his class during the season? Gimme a break. Ideally, teams want to focus on a half dozen spots and zero in on their big fish who are taking their recruitments to signing day.
It’s not hard to imagine that this class will have it’s share of guys who are considered “projects” rather than guys who can contribute right away.

Maybe it’s just that kids need to see results on the field before they hitch their wagon to the program. I hope that is the case. We don’t want a repeat of this for the 2021 class.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back