• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

8 recruits.

According to the ranking guide below, anyone ranked above a 98 is a 5 star. If that is the case why isn’t Turner Corcoran a 5 Star when his score is .9820 on the 247 Composite index?

100 - 98 = Five-star prospect. One of the top 30 players in the nation. This player has excellent pro-potential and should emerge as one of the best in the country before the end of his career. There will be 32 prospects ranked in this range in every football class to mirror the first round of the NFL Draft.

97 - 90 = Four-star prospect. One of the top 300 players in the nation. This prospect will be an impact-player for his college team. He is an All-American candidate who is projected to play professionally.

I disagree with the premise that he made of "a lot of elite players aren't all that excited about coming to a place where hard work is job #1."

A lot? I guess it's all relative, but there are a TON of kids who go to programs ready to work their asses off. Are there some who don't? Of course. But that's where vetting kids is so important. You want to identify kids who are not only elite athletes, but kids who love the game and want to work hard and be great. Like you said, there are kids who just have the game come so easy to them, they really don't have to work hard (or as hard as others) to be successful in HS.

A lot of kids are just athletes. They're good at every sport they play. They play football because it's their best sport and have opportunities with it. Then they get to college, find out there are 80 other kids just as naturally talented, and aren't willing to do the things necessary to take take their games to another level. It's a lot of hard work, sacrifice and commitment and some kids aren't interested deep down to do that.

The top schools created a culture of competition and hard work. They sign four and five-star kids who choose schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc in large part because they want to compete. They know those schools get kids into the league and play for championships. Frost is still building his program. They'll get to that point.
This is basically the point I was trying to make. Maybe A LOT is too strong of wording but there are examples everywhere. Someone already mentioned Tyjon Lindsey, Bookie Radley Hiles is another example. You could apply it to some of the players interested in NU and Riley's clubhouse atmosphere who left when Frost came. I don't think they were interested in hard work.

This is basically the point I was trying to make. Maybe A LOT is too strong of wording but there are examples everywhere. Someone already mentioned Tyjon Lindsey, Bookie Radley Hiles is another example. You could apply it to some of the players interested in NU and Riley's clubhouse atmosphere who left when Frost came. I don't think they were interested in hard work.

How's Bookie an example?

IMO Bookie was promised immediate playing time with Riley. That wasn't going to happen with Frost. The courtship with OU was short and I don't think the conversations w/Lincoln Riley were about how hard he was going to work & how he would earn a starting spot. Lo & behold, immediate playing time and not at his natural position. Again, just my opinion.

IMO Bookie was promised immediate playing time with Riley. That wasn't going to happen with Frost. The courtship with OU was short and I don't think the conversations w/Lincoln Riley were about how hard he was going to work & how he would earn a starting spot. Lo & behold, immediate playing time and not at his natural position. Again, just my opinion.

So you don't think that Bookie could have started as a Freshman on Nebraska's secondary that was loaded with newcomers, lacked depth and had no players returning that would be anywhere near thought of as All Americans. BUT...he started on Oklahoma's secondary on their way to the final four playoffs because he was guaranteed a spot?..rightttt... I'm going to have to strongly disagree.

Last edited:

So you don't think that Bookie could have started as a Freshman on Nebraska's secondary that was loaded with newcomers, lacked depth and had no players returning that would be anywhere near thought of as All Americans. BUT...he started on Oklahoma's secondary on their way to the final four playoffs because he was guaranteed a spot?..rightttt... I'm going to have to strongly disagree.
I never said Bookie couldn't start at NU, you did. IMO he was guaranteed a starting spot at OU, why do you think he played safety when he was a corner? He wasn't good enough to win a spot at corner so they gave him a safety spot. And don't think they made the final 4 because of him, he looked lost quite a bit.

I never said Bookie couldn't start at NU, you did. IMO he was guaranteed a starting spot at OU, why do you think he played safety when he was a corner? He wasn't good enough to win a spot at corner so they gave him a safety spot. And don't think they made the final 4 because of him, he looked lost quite a bit.

No, you made the assumption that he was guaranteed a starting spot, which is equally ridiculous to suggest of a playoff team. You're ignoring the more likely scenario, that he's a 5 star talent that they felt they couldn't keep off the field. He was a freshman, I believe he'll be just fine. Lincoln Riley had no obligation to start the kid. If the kid didn't earn it the culture would fall apart, and likely he wouldn't be the only 5 star promised a starting spot. Why only Bookie? Or who else did they make this same promise too. I don't believe OU would have sustainable success (which they have - or even make the playoffs - which they did)with culture killing actions like guaranteeing a starting spot to incoming recruits.

Last edited:
One reality is that a lot of elite players aren't all that excited about coming to a place where hard work is job #1. A lot of elite players are going to go where promises are made, success is already established and hard work is something 'lesser' athletes have to do to be successful.
. Holy Cow. I guess Nebraska is the only school that works hard and everyone else make promises to recruits.
Can we quit rationalizing every failure.

. Holy Cow. I guess Nebraska is the only school that works hard and everyone else make promises to recruits.
Can we quit rationalizing every failure.
No, you made the assumption that he was guaranteed a starting spot, which is equally ridiculous to suggest of a playoff team. You're ignoring the more likely scenario, that he's a 5 star talent that they felt they couldn't keep off the field. He was a freshman, I believe he'll be just fine. Lincoln Riley had no obligation to start the kid. If the kid didn't earn it the culture would fall apart, and likely he wouldn't be the only 5 star promised a starting spot. Why only Bookie? Or who else did they make this same promise too. I don't believe OU would have sustainable success (which they have - or even make the playoffs - which they did)with culture killing actions like guaranteeing a starting spot to incoming recruits.
I was in a convo with another poster and was asked to reply about Bookie specifically. You two not knowing the context of our discussion felt free to jump in the middle and start slamming me. I'm not arguing about the merits of OU's program or rationalizing failures, I'm in a discussion with another poster which you 2 were not invited to. Feel free to leave now.

Everything I’ve heard about Lincoln Riley leads me to believe that he would never guarantee a starting spot to anyone including Jalen Hurts. Too many including you seem to think Nebraska has the monopoly on players that want to work hard, are better conditioned, have better strength training, and higher character recruits. This is delusional thinking and if our recent rash of marijuana busts don’t illustrate it, not much will convince you that we are no different than most power five programs right now. I believe Scott Frost is trying to make us different then other schools but it will take time. To say we are not getting recruits because they have to earn it it’s fantasy and a way for you to rationalize legitimate concerns in recruiting.

Last edited:
We already grabbed one in Lynum, and are in the top 3 for another project DB.

You are spot on, since D1 has been a reality to these kids (roughly 4 years), Nebraska has had 3 losing seasons.
Image result for just win baby gif
Yep, start winning games and start getting guys drafted into the league and paid. Until that happens it’s going to be hard to convince the top talent to come here

Everything I’ve heard about Lincoln Riley leads me to believe that he would never guarantee a starting spot to anyone including Jalen Hurts. Too many including you seem to think Nebraska has the monopoly on players that want to work hard, are better conditioned, have better strength training, and higher character recruits. This is delusional thinking and if our recent rash of marijuana busts don’t illustrate it, not much will convince you that we are no different than most power five programs right now. I believe Scott Frost is trying to make us different then other schools but it will take time. To say we are not getting recruits because they have to earn it it’s fantasy and a way for you to rationalize legitimate concerns in recruiting.
You must have me confused w/someone else because you keep on talking about 'my opinion' as if you know what I'm thinking. Again you jumped into my convo w/another poster spouting this, that & the other. FYI I have zero concerns with recruiting and won't be concerned until December.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back