• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

8 recruits.

The recruiting has been a concern since Callahan, so nothing new here. We are still out recruiting the teams that we should be measuring ourselves against however. NW, Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin, basically everyone in conference except OSU and Michigan. Last year HCSF lost to Troy. Colorado. By 46 to Michigan. 17 to Wisconsin. 14 to Purdue. I like who they have brought in, however there has been some attrition as well. Some marijuana citations(maybe some mom's don't like that culture).

When you have to say things like I don't care about stars or rankings...then you have a roster outside of the top 20 in college football in terms of overall talent. Pretty simple.

There's a reason we aren't exactly tearing it up on the recruiting front right now. When we decide to put the talent we have through some significant development in successful schemes we will be way more attractive. The brand has to be re-built. We will need a few years to win some meaningful games, go to a few bowls, and pony up for improved facilities. It starts with beating the teams we have better talent than. If we lose to Colorado, Iowa and NW again, then we can't be asking why elite players aren't coming here. I think measuring the coaching staff can start now, in year 2, as do we go at least 8-4. If not, and we are simply waiting around on talent to improve, well, see the last 15 years.

One reality is that a lot of elite players aren't all that excited about coming to a place where hard work is job #1. A lot of elite players are going to go where promises are made, success is already established and hard work is something 'lesser' athletes have to do to be successful.

The recruiting has been a concern since Callahan, so nothing new here. We are still out recruiting the teams that we should be measuring ourselves against however. NW, Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin, basically everyone in conference except OSU and Michigan. Last year HCSF lost to Troy. Colorado. By 46 to Michigan. 17 to Wisconsin. 14 to Purdue. I like who they have brought in, however there has been some attrition as well. Some marijuana citations(maybe some mom's don't like that culture).

When you have to say things like I don't care about stars or rankings...then you have a roster outside of the top 20 in college football in terms of overall talent. Pretty simple.

There's a reason we aren't exactly tearing it up on the recruiting front right now. When we decide to put the talent we have through some significant development in successful schemes we will be way more attractive. The brand has to be re-built. We will need a few years to win some meaningful games, go to a few bowls, and pony up for improved facilities. It starts with beating the teams we have better talent than. If we lose to Colorado, Iowa and NW again, then we can't be asking why elite players aren't coming here. I think measuring the coaching staff can start now, in year 2, as do we go at least 8-4. If not, and we are simply waiting around on talent to improve, well, see the last 15 years.
yes we have done less with more than the rest of our division. That trend has to change

One reality is that a lot of elite players aren't all that excited about coming to a place where hard work is job #1. A lot of elite players are going to go where promises are made, success is already established and hard work is something 'lesser' athletes have to do to be successful.

I don't agree with this at all. You think hard work isn't job #1 at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia...?

I don't agree with this at all. You think hard work isn't job #1 at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia...?
Well if you cherry pick the top teams in the nation then you may be right. On the other hand I don't see hard work as a selling point for Texas, FSU, Miami, both Mississippis, etc.

Interesting segment on Early Break this morning with Mike Schaefer on recruiting. He says that there just are not enough high-end guys left out there to move this class into a top 15 class as he had thought would happen for 2020 unless they can flip some guys. He also mentions that if you asked the coaches they would tell you that they are surprised at the lack of commitments up to this point.

He also suggests that they may not hit a top 20 recruiting class his year. This discussion starts around the 14 minute mark.

https://theticketfm.com/early-break/700-mike-schaefer-247-sports-huskers-illustrated-part-1/
Wow... shocked one of the recruiting media members went there....

I've said on here a couple times, our staff expected us to be at 10-12, and we are sitting at 8. So, could theoretically say we are 50% behind. It's not going awesome right now, but still a lot of time to change that.

It’s not hard to imagine that this class will have it’s share of guys who are considered “projects” rather than guys who can contribute right away.

Maybe it’s just that kids need to see results on the field before they hitch their wagon to the program. I hope that is the case. We don’t want a repeat of this for the 2021 class.
We already grabbed one in Lynum, and are in the top 3 for another project DB.

You are spot on, since D1 has been a reality to these kids (roughly 4 years), Nebraska has had 3 losing seasons.
Image result for just win baby gif

This is indeed interesting. I still think S&C and good coaching can make a tremendous difference. I can remember times under both CD and Tom when the recruiting classes were not well regarded, but both coaches put very good teams on the field. I will wait a couple of years before jumping off of the cliff.
No need to jump off the cliff, but Osborne had some pretty great classes. Also, on this forum we've been told top 10 classes are what win championships. Duval and Frost can't get us where we want if we don't bring in the horses.

No time to hit the panic button, I see top 20 class still.

Could this be a facilities issue? We will see much more talk about an upgrade this fall? Maybe a hot team? big wins and renewed national interest would make an ideal time for fund raising!
I suppose you could spin it that way, but 2 of the kids we thought were committing to us that wasn't the case. 1 went to Wisconsin because they put more LBs in the NFL than us. 1 went to USC because he wanted to be in a 4-3 and not take double teams instead of a 3-4.

Glass is half full, locally we are just competing with Wisconsin for 3-4 players. We got Hutmacher and Gunnerson. That's a solid haul at two spots people say are impossible to recruit to (OLB and NG).

Well if you cherry pick the top teams in the nation then you may be right. On the other hand I don't see hard work as a selling point for Texas, FSU, Miami, both Mississippis, etc.

I disagree about Texas and Miami, but I get what you're saying.

Yep. See Tyjon Lindsey. Was just reminded by RR why he left.

I've been hoping for a 10 win season to turbocharge recruiting for a few years now. Maybe this year. But even if not, going 8-4 this year will close the deal on some and it would be a decent class in any case.

In any realistic scenario for Frost to have success his crew will have to be able to do more with less anyway. Starting that and showing that will get us quite a ways.

Frost knows the guys he wants for his system. We're going to win some and lose some obviously, but I think in the current class you already see some that will be the kind of players who will be more highly rated in the future (after Frost shows what he can do with these classes).

A couple of examples:

Hutmacher - 3 stars. No doubt in my mind he's at least a 4 star. In teams that have a track record of recent success with their recruits, he's an automatic bump to 4 stars. He limited his recruiting pretty early, but a Wiscy, Oregon, and NU offer list shows quality already

Gunnerson - 3 stars. He's another guy who limited his teams to more local, but is clearly a higher level guy than a 3 star.

Others on our current list are potentially better than their rankings - a guy like Lynum is one that if we show we can take this bigger corners and work with them, will get a auto bump from us pursuing. In Lynum's case, does anyone think Frost can't ID the guys he wants in Florida?

One other thing that I think is limiting the commits right now is that we don't know where we need the most talent just yet. I'm guessing they get more aggressive when they see where things stand after Fall camp. If Duval's been as successful as people are saying, it may mean we can be super aggressive in going after highly contested and difficult to land players who are difference makers, but if not, we may need to offer and land depth at certain spots.

Winning helps the most, but I trust Frost to find, offer and land the guys he needs to turn this program around... when he does that, the recruiting services will take notice and guys like Hutmacher will be auto 4 stars in the rankings, IMO

I guess my take is he was referring to instant gratification for hard work versus waiting to have the gratification in a couple of years? Athletes at this level, for the most part, have worked hard. Yes, some are just truly blessed to have ability handed to them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back