• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7th round vs. free agency

LurkSker44

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
For those in the know, I’ve heard it’s better to be a free agent then say a late 7th round pick. What’s the logic behind that, or am I just wrong? Better contract negotiation if they make the team?

For those in the know, I’ve heard it’s better to be a free agent then say a late 7th round pick. What’s the logic behind that, or am I just wrong? Better contract negotiation if they make the team?

I think it makes sense as you're part of the process. As a Free Agent, you get to negotiate with prospective teams and that actually goes on all day on the last day. Being part of the process is always preferable, IMO.

I think it makes sense as you're part of the process. As a Free Agent, you get to negotiate with prospective teams and that actually goes on all day on the last day. Being part of the process is always preferable, IMO.
Spot on, you get to pick where you think is the best spot for you rather than going where someone else thinks is good for you. It’s actually better to be a FA.

If you have some different offers, you and your agent can pick a situation that gives you the best chance to make a roster

ha, sorry, I was late!

What they said above!

Last edited:
Spot on, you get to pick where you think is the best spot for you rather than going where someone else thinks is good for you. It’s actually better to be a FA.
Cool, thanks guys. Is there a negative side to it? Like guaranteed terms to have a longer duration to prove oneself?

Also, is there a financial benefit to free agency if they actually make the roster & contribute?

Cool, thanks guys. Is there a negative side to it? Like guaranteed terms to have a longer duration to prove oneself?

Also, is there a financial benefit to free agency if they actually make the roster & contribute?
The financial benefits are better to be drafted as opposed to UDFA but keep in mind if they cut you those financial benefits disappear. So again, way better to pick the right spot to get the most staying power thus way more money.

Last edited:
The financial benefits are better to be drafted as opposed to UDFA but keep in mind if they cut you those financial benefits disappear. So again, way better to pick the right spot to get the most staying power thus way more money.
As minimal as the signing bonuses are for a 7th rounder, usually under $100K, I’m guessing it’s quite a bit more then what UDFA gets if any

My reactio from simply reading sports pages is that most undrafted players sign immediately if any team offers them. A few get a choice so can pick the best spot for them, but I doubt that is what happens to most of them. Threfore, I think its better to be drafted unless you really are good enough that three or four teams want you but just didn't get around to drafting you. At least if you are drafted, you know immediatley that you have a spot to work from and don't have to hope you get a call from someone.

My reactio from simply reading sports pages is that most undrafted players sign immediately if any team offers them. A few get a choice so can pick the best spot for them, but I doubt that is what happens to most of them. Threfore, I think its better to be drafted unless you really are good enough that three or four teams want you but just didn't get around to drafting you. At least if you are drafted, you know immediatley that you have a spot to work from and don't have to hope you get a call from someone.
Many of our guys had multiple choices. They only talk about who they signed with, not who they didn’t choose.

UFDA gives the player the choice (if multiple teams offer), of picking a team with the greatest need at his position.

If drafted, I think a team is more likely to keep you on the team, if for no other reason they would have to admit they made a mistake in drafting that player, if they cut you. Though they are probably not losing sleep over a 7th round draft pick.

Would you rather be the 224th best salesperson hired by a company (Mr. Irrelevant) or an independent contractor who gets more control.

When you're talking 7th round, it's a total crap shoot anyway (Tom Brady?) and the financial boost over UNFA seems negligible versus the amount of control you get in your own destiny. Plus, there has to be a bit of buyer's remorse on the part of the teams after they finish the draft and realize they needed to pick up an extra RB, etc.

Would you rather be the 224th best salesperson hired by a company (Mr. Irrelevant) or an independent contractor who gets more control.

When you're talking 7th round, it's a total crap shoot anyway (Tom Brady?) and the financial boost over UNFA seems negligible versus the amount of control you get in your own destiny. Plus, there has to be a bit of buyer's remorse on the part of the teams after they finish the draft and realize they needed to pick up an extra RB, etc.
I think the other thing people forget about is mobility. If you are a 7th round pick and you sign a contract by rule you can not renegotiate or choose to leave that team for I believe 3 years. As an UDFA everything is year to year. So if you do become a starter with decent numbers the next year you can renegotiate or become a free agent. So first year you may take a hit but the potential after that is greater.

Take SM Jr. as an example. Many on here have said that the Browns situation is shaky. If true he may have a reasonable shot at making the active roster. For the sake of argument if he has a season where he gets say 800 yards. He could then next year either renegotiate for a larger contract or become a true free agent. Drafted players do not have that option. They are locked in by rule.

I think the other thing people forget about is mobility. If you are a 7th round pick and you sign a contract by rule you can not renegotiate or choose to leave that team for I believe 3 years. As an UDFA everything is year to year. So if you do become a starter with decent numbers the next year you can renegotiate or become a free agent. So first year you may take a hit but the potential after that is greater.

Take SM Jr. as an example. Many on here have said that the Browns situation is shaky. If true he may have a reasonable shot at making the active roster. For the sake of argument if he has a season where he gets say 800 yards. He could then next year either renegotiate for a larger contract or become a true free agent. Drafted players do not have that option. They are locked in by rule.

Exactly. As a draftee, you might get signed to a 3-year contract but it's not like the team can't/won't cut you as soon as they feel like it. And unless you're a top 10-15 overall pick, it's not like you're getting megamillions in compensation. With a few exceptions (punters?) I'd argue that if you can't be a first round or maybe high second round pick, you're probably better off as a free agent, especially if you can back up your claims on the field.

Instead of hoping the right team has the right pick available at the right time - and they sign you - as a free agent you have the ability to get picked up with a crappy team, put up some good numbers and then transfer elsewhere after your rookie season.

Last edited:

Its is not year-to-year ... teams retain your services for 3 years. Most contracts are very pro-team friendly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back