• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

75th Anniversary of VE Day

Today is the 75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe. Take a moment today to reflect on what that meant/means. I had two uncles who returned from the war different men. They were indeed "the greatest generation."

I know this isn't football but I don't think this should go in the Hot Topics either.

Thank you for this post. You're right - it shouldn't go in "Hot Topics".

It should be inserted into every thread on Huskermax as a reminder of how close we came to not being here at all. Thanks again....

First wave of Marines at Iwo Jima. Machine Gunner. One of the finest men I've ever known. Never talked much about it. Lived life like every day was his last with a smile on his face. My ex-father-in-law. My own father was a career Air Force Colonel - Joint Chiefs. "Tough" was the only word I heard used to describe him....they were right. I'm grateful and wouldn't change a thing. Lucky.

So i was fortunate enough to have my grandpa give me a few of his spoils of war not long before he passed away. When it spread around the family that I got these after he passed needless to say there were some angry people, so I won’t go in to detail about what they are because it’s possible i have a relative or 2 on the board. With all the extra time at home lately, I went ahead and got them out today after I read the original post on here. I can tell you he collected them on a battle field. How he got them home is beyond me. The items sat in his closet and I used to sneak up there and look at them when i was a kid. It wasn’t until so was older did I realize he took them off dead Nazi’s. I haven’t looked at these since the day I brought them home several years ago. The first thing i feel is a deep sense of connection to my grandpa. After that it’s what the hell did he have to go through in order to survive and walk out of there the day he got these. Last is how much I miss him. As I’ve gotten older my admiration for him has only grown. Every adversity I’ve experienced is “puppy nuts” (an expression he liked to use to describe something small) compared to what he went through from 1930-1945. Sorry for rambling, I’m knee deep into my 2nd growler of the day

Last edited:
My Mom grew up in Butte, NE in the 40's and 50's. My Grandpa was one of the many that built the Dam. I remember hearing stories about it. I wish I could remember the details. I have been there. I tried to imagine what it was like in the 1800s as well as when the Dam was being built. I have a great appreciation and interest in history.

What is her surname? I've got a bunch of folks buried in the Butte cemeteries.

Visit my link about the museum. Very informative.

Speaking of Butte, my great great grandfather, great grandfather and grandfather Homesteaded two miles south of Butte. Been to Butte many times.

Ditto … lots of Fuhrer, Zimmerlie, Teske, Ott and more settled in that area in the 1890s.

Going to do a PSA, plug, whatever. to all of the members of HuskerMax who are veterans, or currently serving, or have fathers, mothers, grandparents, who have served in the military, are you a member of the Legion, Legion Auxillary(sp) , or Sons of the American Legion. There is no better way to uphold this nations beliefs, and honor those that served, and instruct the younger generations of the sacrifices our ancestors gave to keep us free.

My grandfather was in the Army and stationed in Karlsruhe, among other places. He was largely there after the bulk of the fighting had passed and didn't see any serious action that I'm aware of.

His group was responsible for repairing vehicles and working on radio equipment. After the war he used those skills to work as a lineman for a power utility until he retired.

R0z6zRq.jpg

v03eIAh.jpg

Last edited:
What is her surname? I've got a bunch of folks buried in the Butte cemeteries.

Ditto … lots of Fuhrer, Zimmerlie, Teske, Ott and more settled in that area in the 1890s.
Staples. My Grandparents, Great Grandparents, and Great Great Grandparent are buried in the Butte cemetery

Thank
Visit my link about the museum. Very informative.

Speaking of Butte, my great great grandfather, great grandfather and grandfather Homesteaded two miles south of Butte. Been to Butte many times.
Thank you. I will.

Staples. My Grandparents, Great Grandparents, and Great Great Grandparent are buried in the Butte cemetery
My Great Great Grand father was Frederick Horst. Great Grandfather was Johann Horst. Both were Germans from Russia. Their homesteads were located two miles south of Butte on the east side of the curve on Hwy 12. They are buried in the Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery. My GG Grandfather donated that plot of land to the church.

My Great Great Grand father was Frederick Horst. Great Grandfather was Johann Horst. Both were Germans from Russia. Their homesteads were located two miles south of Butte on the east side of the curve on Hwy 12. They are buried in the Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery. My GG Grandfather donated that plot of land to the church.
Some unique family names up there and most of my paternal family & some on my maternal family were Germans from Russia.

True story — on one of my last deployments in either 2002 or 2005 I sat across the breakfast table from a Horst & started a conversation about where he was from ... said he was from Washington state & as I continued I said that the surname was known in Gregory County & Boyd County. He acknowledged that his parents or grandparents came from Herrick, SD ... by the way, he was a Brigadier General & Asst. Division Commander of the 3rd ID!

Nebraska is FULL of German and Russian immigrant towns, and many of those folks Anglicized their surnames as there was a lot of anti-German and anti-Russian sentiments during the WWI-WWII eras. Most were just trying to escape corrupt regimes and start a new life in America.

Lots of "von Braun" becoming "Brown" and so forth.

Some unique family names up there and most of my paternal family & some on my maternal family were Germans from Russia.

True story — on one of my last deployments in either 2002 or 2005 I sat across the breakfast table from a Horst & started a conversation about where he was from ... said he was from Washington state & as I continued I said that the surname was known in Gregory County & Boyd County. He acknowledged that his parents or grandparents came from Herrick, SD ... by the way, he was a Brigadier General & Asst. Division Commander of the 3rd ID!
Curious to know who that would have been.

Nebraska is FULL of German and Russian immigrant towns, and many of those folks Anglicized their surnames as there was a lot of anti-German and anti-Russian sentiments during the WWI-WWII eras. Most were just trying to escape corrupt regimes and start a new life in America.

Lots of "von Braun" becoming "Brown" and so forth.
Yes, I have done extensive research on the Germans from Russia. Most move here to prevent their sons from being drafted into the Russian military. North Dakota State University has a huge resource library about these immigrants.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back