• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7 v 7 Lewis Central vs Bellevue West (Fidone, Johnson, Riley, Helms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to see Kaden Helms play. Seems like that kid has raw talent and the physical size to be a huge player for the Huskers down the road.
Bellevue West is loaded. Keagan Johnson, Micah Riley, Kaden Helms, Daevonn Hall, that's 3 WRs and a TE with P5 FBS offers. They do have to replace Northern Illinois commit Jay Ducker at RB and their QB who is heading to Iowa Western.

Bellevue West is loaded. Keagan Johnson, Micah Riley, Kaden Helms, Daevonn Hall, that's 3 WRs and a TE with P5 FBS offers. They do have to replace Northern Illinois commit Jay Ducker at RB and their QB who is heading to Iowa Western.
Bellevue West is becoming a skill position factory. Hopefully we get all of the guys that we want from there in the future.

I think since he was in 8th grade this past year teams are waiting until he plays at least one high school game. While I hear about kids getting offered in 8th grade, it’s pretty unprecedented. Iowa State will offer this year tho for sure IMO. He’s going to be a Xavier Betts talent tho, he’s pretty special already.
thanks, and hopefully keep the head on the shoulders and in classroom

Didn't think they'd beat Iowa State to the punch:

This feels like a warning shot across your bow. Iowa knows how much Frost is focusing on Iowa and is getting a couple really good kids every year. Not that Hall isn't worth an offer. Nebraska will offer here soon too, it's just creating a narrative that they believed in him first. Going after Nebraska kids to sort of punch back so to speak.

This feels like a warning shot across your bow. Iowa knows how much Frost is focusing on Iowa and is getting a couple really good kids every year. Not that Hall isn't worth an offer. Nebraska will offer here soon too, it's just creating a narrative that they believed in him first. Going after Nebraska kids to sort of punch back so to speak.
I’ve never understood the whole “Nebraska needs to be getting all the Nebraska kids” sentiment. Most of these high level prospects in Omaha don’t even grow up husker fans.

Most of these high level prospects in Omaha don’t even grow up husker fans.
I think that’s the point. Things have really changed the past few years. For the past decade any Omaha kid would have jumped at the chance if offered by Nebraska with the exception of Fant and we botched that recruitment anyway. Now we have 3 absolute beasts for the 2022 class that we have uphill battles for and 2 of the top 3 kids in the 2021 class from Omaha decided to go elsewhere.

Now that we are starting to lose our stronghold in our state its interesting to read the narratives. We need to get Omaha back to wanting to go down to Lincoln like it was a few years ago.

Last edited:
I think that’s the point. Things have really changed the past few years. For the past decade any Omaha kid would have jumped at the chance if offered by Nebraska with the exception of Fant and we botched that recruitment anyway. Now we have 3 absolute beasts for the 2022 class that we have uphill battles for and 2 of the top 3 kids in the 2021 class from Omaha decided to go elsewhere.

Now that we are starting to lose our stronghold in our state its interesting to read the narratives. We need to get Omaha back to wanting to go down to Lincoln like it was a few years ago.
The metro seems to be on an upswing in terms of talent in football and basketball both. 2 5 star talent in one year is unheard of (Fidone, Sallis) I’m not buying that things have only changed in the past “few” years though. Deshawn Woods isn’t a husker fan now and he wasn’t 5 years ago.

Frost & Co are offering in-state kids at an unprecedented rate. We’ve got the two best 500 mile radius recruits in the country the past 2 years. I’d argue i’d take Fidone this year over the two omaha kids we lost combined. Rivals has us with the two top metro commits this year, both in the top 75 overall.

As i’ve said im more concerned with this staffs gameday coaching over recruiting. Some questionable calls, game management last year for sure.

The metro seems to be on an upswing in terms of talent in football and basketball both. 2 5 star talent in one year is unheard of (Fidone, Sallis) I’m not buying that things have only changed in the past “few” years though. Deshawn Woods isn’t a husker fan now and he wasn’t 5 years ago.

Frost & Co are offering in-state kids at an unprecedented rate. We’ve got the two best 500 mile radius recruits in the country the past 2 years. I’d argue i’d take Fidone this year over the two omaha kids we lost combined. Rivals has us with the two top metro commits this year, both in the top 75 overall.

As i’ve said im more concerned with this staffs gameday coaching over recruiting. Some questionable calls, game management last year for sure.
Well, i'm not really concerned about if Woods was a Husker fan or not as a 6th grader, not sure why that matters. I can tell you he would be more of a fan of Nebraska if not for the losses and a couple recruiting missteps by our staff. But that's neither here nor there...

What i'm telling you is look at the trend. For the past decade, any kid (besides Noah Fant who we recruited as a DE and wanted to play TE) would have came to Nebraska if offered from Omaha. That includes the likes of Harrison Phillips, Daishon Neal, Michael Decker, CJ Johnson, Casey Sayles, Cole Fisher, Nate Skold, Bronson Marsh, Jon Lechner, CJ Zimmerer, Scott Criss, James Davis, Daryle Hawkins, all the way to 2008 where you get to Trevor Robinson and the Praters.

We better start following through in Lincoln. It's not because they aren't Husker fans. You have high school coaches with shrines to Nebraska in their houses telling them to hold off if they are going to commit to Nebraska because you need to make sure this staff isn't giving you lip service on how good they are going to be. I think that all goes to your point of better gameday outcomes. No shot that 2019 team should have been under .500. Kids notice that.

I can tell you he would be more of a fan of Nebraska if not for the losses

We better start following through in Lincoln. It's not because they aren't Husker fans. You have high school coaches with shrines to Nebraska in their houses telling them to hold off if they are going to commit to Nebraska because you need to make sure this staff isn't giving you lip service on how good they are going to be. I think that all goes to your point of better gameday outcomes. No shot that 2019 team should have been under .500. Kids notice that.

This is soooo true. We flat out haven't produced on the field. For FIVE YEARS running we have been recruiting on a promise that we'll get better. That has not happened.

Well, i'm not really concerned about if Woods was a Husker fan or not as a 6th grader, not sure why that matters. I can tell you he would be more of a fan of Nebraska if not for the losses and a couple recruiting missteps by our staff. But that's neither here nor there...

What i'm telling you is look at the trend. For the past decade, any kid (besides Noah Fant who we recruited as a DE and wanted to play TE) would have came to Nebraska if offered from Omaha. That includes the likes of Harrison Phillips, Daishon Neal, Michael Decker, CJ Johnson, Casey Sayles, Cole Fisher, Nate Skold, Bronson Marsh, Jon Lechner, CJ Zimmerer, Scott Criss, James Davis, Daryle Hawkins, all the way to 2008 where you get to Trevor Robinson and the Praters.

I agree with you here. My point is the current staff has nothing to do with any of those kids, so why should Omaha still be holding a grudge about them? More of those kids would have gotten offers had Frost been here. And if i’m a coach im telling my kids “go there and help make them get better” as opposed to “ wait and see if they become good before you go there” but to each his own there.

I’m just as frustrated over losing Dickerson and Johnson as the next guy, but i also think there’s only so much you can do as a recruiter. Johnson has had it in his head to spurn Nwbraska ever since watching his older two brothers get shunned, and i don’t blame him. But as im trying to say, it aint Frost’s fault so why punish him for something that happened when he wasn’t even here. Hopefully Fidone is in KJ’s ear. As always good discussion.

In one moment you say we aren't recruiting them hard enough, then it's we have too many offers out, and then we are blowing landing guys because we are incompetent, and in others it's we are recruiting players too far away, and now it's all about the record? You've covered the bases well here. Good god, how do Frost and company manage to tie their shoes in the mornings?

In one moment you say we aren't recruiting them hard enough, then it's we have too many offers out, and then we are blowing landing guys because we are incompetent, and in others it's we are recruiting players too far away, and now it's all about the record? You've covered the bases well here. Good god, how do Frost and company manage to tie their shoes in the mornings?
Hey have you heard we lost TWO in state recruits this year? Also every 4 star recruit we get is transferring out. (4 out of 18 of them under frost) lol.

We have had top 25 recruiting classes what? The last five years in a row if I’m not mistaken.... meanwhile...Wisconsin and Iowa...even Minnesota has FAR lower rated classes but their product on the field has consistently produced. Stability, consistency, development, effort and experience have all hurt us. We have to get back to a consistent, solid product on the field and with the wreck Frost was handed this is a LONG term process.....and this year has not helped so far. We need to be patient...I sense this program is moving forward and I too “feel good” when I see a Top 25 class or we get a win on a guy like Fidone. But then I see a stupid false start penalty at exactly the wrong moment...or a Husker lose his cool and get penalized at exactly the wrong moment or a clock management decision that makes me want to scream, I just shake my head and wonder. I want to see better, basic fundamental football. We have had some flashes of what our talent can do...but overall....our brand of football has been inconsistent and sloppy as hell for far too long. Our situation somewhat reminds me of Texas when they were in their terrible rut. Year after year they had literally top 15 recruiting classes and yet their teams basically sucked. They seem to have broken out of that and we will too but whether it’s at the three-year mark, or six year mark I just don’t know. I do know this, consistency takes time. A LOT of time! I think recruiting is hugely important but I think what is more important is developing what we have and recruiting the type of player we want with the potential for our system....number of stars be darned...or where they come from for that matter....

Last edited:

Excited to hear how this game turns out. There will definitely be a lot of talent on each side of the ball and a lot for husker coaches and fans to be paying attention to.

We do need to be getting as much of the local talented players as possible. Feels like more of the local kids are ones we would consider to be potential difference makers and that is probably why manu feel the heightened urgency. Hopefully that trend of great talent continues.

Also, how odd is it that we are talking about missing out on local Skill Position players. For the longest time, it felt like the only guys we were seeing highly ranked locally were in the front seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back