• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7 Off Season Topics

cobfather

Recruit
5 Year Member
1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? Since I watch more Big 10 games now, I found myself cheering for Northwestern

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? Alabama - out of jealousy!

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Tim Brando.

4. Favorite football analyst for college football - Todd Blackledge. I also like Rod Gilmore. He seems to get that Fresno state v. San Jose state type of game, but I like him.

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? although there are 9 conference games, I would love to see an all Power 5 non conference slate like Arizona, Texas Tech and Kentucky. Tougher than usual schedule, but all teams we could beat.

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? give Bill Byrne a lifetime contract.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? osborne retiring. I'm not sure his political career or athletic director career was anything stellar or what he hoped for. He may have had a few more championships left in him if he had stayed.

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? USF, because they're my home town team

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? Miami, always and forever, followed very closely by Texas

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Fowler

4. Favorite football analyst for college football - Brock Huard

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? Miami, Colorado, Texas

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? Do not hire Steve Pederson

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Callahan refusing to can Cosgrove

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? Anyone playing Texas

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most?
Texas

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Keith Jackson, no one to date has ever come close to comparing. Homer honorable mention- Lyell Bremser

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska?
Oklahoma, Florida State, Washington

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? give Dr Tom Osborne a lifetime contract.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Osborne not mentoring a bright innovative young offensive minded coach to succeed him and carry on his offensive philosophy.

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? Oregon, to support some co-workers.

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? Texas. Enough said.

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Keith Jackson, and it isn't close.

4. Favorite football analyst for college football - Bob Griese. He and Keith were a great pairing. I can even forgive him homering for Michigan in 97.

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? One top rated team and 2 mid-level.

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? Osborne not retiring when he did. He could have kept things humming for several more years.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Pelini's persona. He had us back to winning, and winning a lot. If he could have kept his mouth shut we'd still be winning 9 or 10 games a year.

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most?

Coastal Carolina. Thier option offense is a spiritual successor to Osborne’s.

Wisconsin

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football

Brando

4. Favorite football analyst for college football

Huard

3 cupcakes

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be?

not fire solich

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....?

Solich not making Turner the OC/play caller in 98

1. Iowa State ... I find myself thinking if they can have decent success the why not NU? Also lots of family cheer for them.

2. Wisconsin ... dislike the Badgers a lot. Also enjoy Texas, Alabama, Clemson, tOSU and Norte Dame losing.

3. Keith Jackson ... all-time. Whoa Nellie. Tim Brando currently.

4. Matt Millen

5. A former B8/B12 opponent each year.

6. Not allow TO to making coaching succession decisions.

7. Keeping Cosgrove

Last edited:
1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most?

SDSU, Go Aztecs!

Because they are always in the playoffs and championship, Alabama by shear numbers.

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football

Brent Mus.....No wait, Beth Mowins.

4. Favorite football analyst for college football

Kenny Bell

1) Rotating MW team, 2)Kansas, 3)OU

Do not hire SP

Each has a couple, hard to pick. I guess TO retiring. He could have easily gone another 5 and at least 1 more NC.

C

Outside the B1G, Oklahoma

Texas

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football -
The only names I can remember are Bremser, Pavelka, and Sharpe. On a national level, Keith Jackson

4. Favorite football analyst for college football -
Again, I have trouble remembering names, but I thought Adrian Fiala did a good job.

1. Rotating former Big 8 members; 2. Rotating PAC 12, MAC, and MWC members; 3. Rotating SEC, AAC, and ACC members

Run, instead of pass on a 2-point conversion

Solich not updating his coaching staff (especially recruiting coordinator) soon enough

OU, OkSU, and most of the Big 8 teams. I also rooted for UAB to come back after their program got cut.

Texa$$ hands down. I also included OhSU in that "elite hubris group" before they stuck up for us last year.

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - I like Brando, but I guess I don't have a current fave. All time, Lyell Bremser. (Honorable mention Keith Jackson)

4. Favorite football analyst for college football -
Spencer Tillman. Locally, Matt Davison. (Honorable mention: Joel Klatt)

One big name team (Top 10 if possible), one former Big 8 team, one patsy.

Establish a "Board of Directors" for football, made up of past players, coaches, etc. -- so that SP and SE would have never been hired.

OK, this is obscure, but I'm guessing the "biggest mistake" probably happened before my time, so:
Bill "Baby-Faced @&$#ol*" Glassford alienating his players. He was pretty good with the X's & O's but was the opposite of a players' coach.

Last edited:
1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? Air Force

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? Wisconsin

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Keith Jackson

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? South Dakota and USAF

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? Hire Jim Tressel until SF was ready.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Callahan accepting the job

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? The ones with former Huskers coaching - Ohio, Liberty, etc.

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? I don't hate Bama, but ready for them to shuffle back towards the crowd. There are several garbage universities like Miami that I never get tired of hearing about their struggles.

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football? I was a Kent Pavelka fan.

4. Favorite football analyst for college football? I'll take Gary Sadlemyer to go with him.

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? I miss Pacific. Having a couple cupcakes, paired with one medium-to-upper tier school with some geographical/historical connection to Nebraska would be nice.

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? It really goes up to Harvey Perlman, who hired & enabled both Steve Pederson & Shawn Eichorst; and generally had the academic attitude of jealously & contempt for the influence of athletics. Osborne was able to counterbalance HP while he was AD, but left to his own devices, Harvey darn near sabotaged the entire athletic department.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Callahan & Riley were both bad hires who made huge mistakes, but were both hired by bad AD's specifically to make those mistakes. So I'm gonna go with Bo, & his lack of personal control. He was right about a lot of his beefs (like Perlman & the administration in general), but generally handled things like a teenager instead of a leader - having an offsite meeting with the team after his firing where he just ranted and yelled about the university was an encapsulation of how he selfishly whined & further contributed to the division & culture problems at NU.

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? South Florida & Notre Dame

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? Bama - Annoying ass neighbor who acts like they didnt have their down years too.

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Fowler

4. Favorite football analyst for college football - Charles Davis

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? UNLV, so I could watch at Allegiant stadium, Arizona, A florida team to help with recruiting

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? Pick someone other than Frankie to replace osborne. He was in over his head.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Callahan not embracing the culture

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? All the Service Academies

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? Colorado in my teens/twenties and later on Texa$$

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Keith Jackson and Don Criqui. If they were announcing a Nebraska game…it was an important game. I also loved Kent Pavelka because it brings back so many memories listening to games on the radio during my youth…Touchdown Tommie Fraziaaar (Frazier). :thumbsup:

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? Cupcake, Big 12 School, Florida or California School

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? Convince Coach Osborne to continue coaching another 5-10 years.

7. Biggest mistake past head coach made was....? Callahan not adjusting his system to the talent on the field until he had the recruits to fully run his system. Also, Callahan not willing to make changes with his defensive coordinator.

Last edited:
1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for .
Wisc

Michicken

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Kieth Jackson

4. Favorite football analyst for college football - Here at HM

5. What would your ideal non conference schedule look like for Nebraska? Mississippi State, Oregon, Auburn

6. If Nebraska could go back in time and do one thing, what would it be? Use the damn FB

Doesn’t matter, Look forward and Learn from any mistake

1. Other than Nebraska, what college football team have you found yourself rooting for the most? More than any other sport except maybe college basketball, I think that college football is centered on rooting for or against head coaches. I root for Huskers who coach elsewhere, especially Frank (Ohio), Turner Gill (Buffalo then Liberty), and I even had a special interest in Coastal Carolina due to Joe Moglia. For non-Husker coaches, I've always been a fan of Gus Malzahn because he is both an honorable man and an offensive innovator, so it looks like I'll be rooting for UCF again, which continues from when Frost was there.

2. Which team do you find yourself cheering against the most? I'm probably more sinister than most in this category as I hold a special hatred in my heart for USC, Texas, Notre Dame, and Alabama, so ... I want all of them to win just enough to hold onto less-than-stellar coaches. If each wins about 8-9 games per year, but loses to key rivals, I'm cool with that, because true fans know that that is painful; likewise, if they're suffering through a 6-6 slog, well, hey!, sounds like a great year for USC to rise up and thrash Notre Dame (or vice versa) so that they hold on to their coach for another year. I want each school to be good enough to get undeserved credit based on their reputation, and THEN get throttled by Nebraska in a key nonconference game or bowl game.

When it comes to hatred and revenge, one mustn't be rash. I play the long game.

3. Favorite play by play announcer for college football - Keith Jackson was the best ever. Gus Johnson is by far the most fun now.

4. Favorite football analyst for college football - Many folks don't remember, but the best pairing in college football history was in the mid-80s when Keith Jackson and Tim Brandt were paired together. I've heard that they didn't get along, which explains why it didn't last, but creative friction might have been an advantage there. Tony Romo is so good that I wish that he'd do college football, but I just don't have a favorite in this category. Urban Meyer was phenomenal at what he did for Fox in the studio, fwiw. I kind of want to see him crash and burn in the NFL so that he gets back to doing that.

Perception matters, so it's infinitely better to beat a bad P5 team than it is to beat an underrated MAC team, so I'd like to establish a new "rivalry" game every year with our season opener against Kansas. If they won't agree, then pencil in either Oregon State or Vanderbilt to open the season. Old rivalries matter, so the second game should be Kansas (if they won't agree to playing us for the opener), Kansas State, or Iowa State (after Matt Campbell leaves). The third game should be Oklahoma just because God intended for Nebraska to play Oklahoma every year, and many problems in life can be traced back to our going against God's will in this manner.

I wish that Osborne had run a FB Trap look for the 2-point conversion based off of the Option/RPO play that had just led to Jeff Smith's TD against Miami in the '84 Orange Bowl. In fairness to Osborne, he had mere seconds to make the call, and it took me nearly 20 years to decide that that would have been the ideal call.

Besides that, I wish that Nebraska had never hired Harvey Perlman.

Knowing what we know now, I think that Osborne should have found room on the roster to offer Barry Sanders the scholarship that he craved when he came to visit in '86. Instead of the nice career that he had, I think that playing behind Nebraska's O-line might have given Barry the opportunity to be more ... special. ;)

Honorable mention goes to Danny Nee for telling Osborne and Donovan McNabb to go fornicate themselves when Osborne and McNabb approached him with the idea of McNabb playing both football and basketball. In hindsight, Nee probably could have use McNabb, and he certainly wouldn't have hurt the football program.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back