• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

6 wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must have been hard for Moos to say that, because I'm sure he hopes and expects more, but there is absolutely no good reason for him to say any more than that. If there are only 7 wins or 8 wins, Moos needs to be able to state that Frost is doing a fantastic job, to prevent negative recruiting. This just sets that up. Moos said the right thing here.

Everyone knows what the expectations actually are, at least in the long term. Given those, I'm amazed and thankful we found someone who would take the head coaching job. ;) Given that we did and that person has a lot of promise, I'm glad our AD has his back.

Last edited:

Everything that you said has to do with those in supervisory roles directly over the people whose performance matters: that's NOT us. FROST needs to have high expectations of his players, and that needs to be communicated to them constantly in positive, measureable, achievable ways, but that has ZERO to do with what the fans should "expect."

Take your law enforcement background and think of it this way: While it's great and admirable that YOU had high expectations for those under you, would it have helped your cause if the people in your community expected you to be perfect? If they thought that you had no reason for ever making a mistake, would that help your cause? Any unsolved crime is on your head. Anybody found innocent in court is on your head. Hey, they should have high expectations, right?

You're conflating expectations from two different groups of people, and even in the example you used, that still would be bad.
Many people in the community do expect perfection from law enforcement today! Of course that's not possible but when a LEO makes a mistake there is usually hell to pay. Striving for perfection should always be the goal imo and simply accepting less usually brings less imo. That's what MR did imo and we see where that got Nebraska football. I said in my prior post fans expectations have ZERO impact on what the team ultimately achieves. I'm not conflating what Frost expects from the team as opposed to what the fans expect.

To sum this up if 6 wins is acceptable for some fans that's fine. It's not an acceptable standard for me personally and that's not going to change. I believe TO spoke of a standard when BC was fired years back?

Last season with the exception of the Michigan game Nebraska generally played well and didn't get boat raced. That was a good start and I wasn't overly disappointed at the results. This season I believe we have a pretty talented team and match up with any team in our division. I'm expecting 8 or 9 wins and will be disappointed unless there are some demonstrable reasons why it didn't happen.

Last season there were a couple of games we lost which could be atributed to some poor coaching decisions imo. It was also a learning curve for coach Frost who is still learning. Mistakes are part of learning but if you continually make the SAME mistakes you've learned nothing.

Obviously we're not going to agree on this subject but that's life............

Last edited:
Very simple.. I just said personally I will not be pleased with a 6 win season, end of story. If that works for other people that's fine! I've always set lofty goals and high standards for myself and those that worked for me. As a LEO and in my military career I've always believed low expectations usually generate low or poor results. Expect the best from myself and those I'm charged with leading generally yields better results. That's been been my experience in life.

As for the past couple of decades I've expected better results then what the program has delivered. I'm also a product of the 70's 80's and 90's when it comes to Husker football and therefore a 6 win season will ALWAYS and FOREVER not be acceptable to me. When we fail (we've done that a lot) recently then I hope for change such as we just got with the hiring of coach Frost.

We have ZERO impact what this team will ultimately accomplish this season but I believe we have a pretty high ceiling. Won't be long and we'll be able to see exactly what's been accomplished in the off season. I'm predicting a 8 or 9 win regular season. Anything less I'll be disappointed but always hopeful once again when the next season rolls around.........
Thank you for saying this. Your statement is my sentiment exactly when predicting wins. Set high standards knowing that I won't fall off an emotional cliff if those high standards aren't met.

When it comes to predicting Husker wins/losses for the upcoming year there seems to be three categories of fans.
1. Husker fans who predict a high win total then identify and learn from the results knowing that you have a large window of disappointment if your prediction doesn't come true;
2. Husker fans who predict low win total then identify and learn from the results knowing that you have a small window of disappointment if your prediction doesn't come true;
3. Husker fans that have sold out emotionally on their prediction and attack anyone who predicts too high or too low in their view. Secretly these fans are always going to be disappointed if we aren't undefeated national champions but find solace and strength in being more right than the other two categories of fans.

I was one of the few on this site who would admit what a mountain Frost and co. had to climb when they arrived. I got bombed for saying he would not win 8-10 games and play in thee Conference Championship his first year. He inherited a mess. I do, however, have much higher expectations this year. I doubt we will win them all. My hope is a winning season record and a decent bowl victory. That would be a great accomplishment, IMO.
I do not believe I bombed you since going into last year I was saying. Year one is not about wins and losses rather seeing improvement every game.

I prefer.my ADs to say we won't allow this program to slide into mediocrity.

Well - the record is 8-16 over the last two years. So, I think we should look at it as a CLIMB to mediocrity. Personally, I agree that the goal is 6 wins. My only clarification is that I'd like to be there before the end of October and build from there!

My how you have fallen to mediocrity pal.
I have fallen to mediocrity? We just went 4-8, including a loss to TROY, and also lost our top RB and WR from last year, along with multiple starters on the OL... but ok.

Many people in the community do expect perfection from law enforcement today! Of course that's not possible but when a LEO makes a mistake there is usually hell to pay. Striving for perfection should always be the goal imo and simply accepting less usually brings less imo. That's what MR did imo and we see where that got Nebraska football. I said in my prior post fans expectations have ZERO impact on what the team ultimately achieves. I'm not conflating what Frost expects from the team as opposed to what the fans expect.

To sum this up if 6 wins is acceptable for some fans that's fine. It's not an acceptable standard for me personally and that's not going to change. I believe TO spoke of a standard when BC was fired years back?

Last season with the exception of the Michigan game Nebraska generally played well and didn't get boat raced. That was a good start and I wasn't overly disappointed at the results. This season I believe we have a pretty talented team and match up with any team in our division. I'm expecting 8 or 9 wins and will be disappointed unless there are some demonstrable reasons why it didn't happen.

Last season there were a couple of games we lost which could be atributed to some poor coaching decisions imo. It was also a learning curve for coach Frost who is still learning. Mistakes are part of learning but if you continually make the SAME mistakes you've learned nothing.

Obviously we're not going to agree on this subject but that's life............
Good post. You hit the nail on the head with MR, "wanting" to win but not striving for perfection. Until 2017, I NEVER looked at a schedule and said "we're going to lose this game". I "predict" 8 or 9 wins this year, but I EXPECT to win them all. Every loss is heartbreaking though I've learned (somewhat) that it's not the end of the world when we lose.

I'm also TRYING to learn not to count wins before the clock hits 0:00. Got in trouble with that last year. I think that's where we get the minimum expectations of 6 wins. I expect to win them all, but that's assuming AM stays healthy, the O & D lines show significant improvement, the weather cooperates, etc...

Someone please tell Moos that he fired Mike Riley..6 wins?
The last 2 years we have only accumulated 8 wins. And it was like all of the teams we lost to were top 25 programs.

It's a bit of an overreaction to a single quote. But it's the offseason and we need something to talk about. 6 wins is more than doable with this roster, the experience coming back, and the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back