• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

5th choice can work out fine

Knight

Red Shirt
20 Year Member
For all those concerned that we aren't "hitting" with higher profile coaching names, don't be concerned. You either aim high with the chance of having to move on or you aim lower and never know. So I think the approach is right.

Look at NC State. Last year Gottfried was at least the fifth coach they offered the job too. Players on the team had never heard of him. One recently quoted saying " he was an announcer on ESPNU and we don't get that on cable". But look now. The players love him, he is quickly turning the program into a believing in him, and they are in the sweet 16 this year.

So be patient. And when the hire inevitably disappoints many, just give it a chance. I am sure Tom and others are doing due dilligence. Remember his philosophy with fb recruits. Find the best fit not the highest rated player. And it worked out fine.

I think we are beyond the 5th choice at this point.

I can count five, and thats just whats been in the newspapers, who knows how many have actually been contacted.

and for those thinking John Groce or Shaka Smart, forget it.

For all those concerned that we aren't "hitting" with higher profile coaching names, don't be concerned. You either aim high with the chance of having to move on or you aim lower and never know. So I think the approach is right.

Look at NC State. Last year Gottfried was at least the fifth coach they offered the job too. Players on the team had never heard of him. One recently quoted saying " he was an announcer on ESPNU and we don't get that on cable". But look now. The players love him, he is quickly turning the program into a believing in him, and they are in the sweet 16 this year.

So be patient. And when the hire inevitably disappoints many, just give it a chance. I am sure Tom and others are doing due dilligence. Remember his philosophy with fb recruits. Find the best fit not the highest rated player. And it worked out fine.

While I agree that NU should aim high, and I think they have tried, NU has a HUGE perception/name recognition problem for basketball. I understand your analogy and hope it turns out all rosy, but NC State, and schools like it, have one important thing NU doesn't have. They've been good basketball schools before. Coaches will take a chance on a school like that and sometimes succeed. NU basketball, I would compare to Kansas State in football before Snyder showed up. NU needs a Bill Snyder basketball coach. That's going to be tough to find. Those kinds of coaches only come around every so often.

I think we are beyond the 5th choice at this point.

I can count five, and thats just whats been in the newspapers, who knows how many have actually been contacted.

and for those thinking John Groce or Shaka Smart, forget it.

We aren't anywhere near five offers, according to reports. Ive only seen reports of one offer, to Marshall. Others have been feelers, maybe even interivews. I was referring to verified offers.

I am starting to think of this coaching search like the movie Major League:
Charlie Donovan: How would you like to manage the Indians this year?
Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know...
Charlie Donovan: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.
Lou Brown: Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Q: What's worse than being a candidate for head coach at a terrible basketball school?
A: Not being the leading candidate at said school.

There is, really, no way to spin this positively. Nothing resembling an offer should have been made until there was obvious interest/passion. Now, every candidate will feel like he was not the first choice.

I really hope Nebraska doesn't blow this huge opportunity.

Your pi$$ing and moaning over NU basketball is tiring , have any other schtick you can use?? really?? get over yourself.

Don't read my posts then, id-yut

your pi$$ing and moaning over my posts is tiring, have any other schtick you can use?? really?? get over yourself.

#1 as we all know, what you read in the papers most of the time is at least partially or maybe even completely hearsay. We will not know what really happened for years.;)

Did NC State really get down to their 5th reported offer? I know Shaka was one of them (#1, I believe). Not sure of the other three before Gottfried.

It's still a heckuva lot easier to hire a quality coach at NC State than Nebraska.

Hell, at this point I would be happy with Tony Siske, coach of the Class B state champion Scottsbluff Bearcats, who took them to their first state Championship since 1955.(And they won beating Gesele.) But I honestly have to ask, where do we turn when he also turns Dr. TO down?!??!??

Last edited:

It's hard to admit how far in the tank Nebrasketball actually is...
.. and it has sunk to this level on Dr Tom's watch. He needs to hit a home run.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back