• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

500 mile radius keeps getting tougher

Mentally Red

Got Huskers on my mind
5 Year Member
I totally agree with the concept of recruiting within the 500 mile radius. But man, it’s gotten harder! Missouri is top ten, KSU always ranked and even KU ranked now. Then there is Coach Prime at CU and Iowa and Wisconsin to the East. Even Iowa State, Illinois and Minnesota have become respectable. We used to pluck a lot of great players from those states.

I have a lot of faith in MR when it comes to recruiting, but it isn’t getting any easier. They desperately need to start winning more games if they are going to compete in the regional recruiting game.

Last edited:

I totally agree with the concept of recruiting within the 500 mile radius. But man, it’s gotten harder! Missouri is top ten, KSU always ranked and even KU ranked now. Then there is Coach Prime at CU and Iowa and Wisconsin to the East. Even Iowa State, Illinois and Minnesota have become respectable. We used to pluck a lot of great players from those states.

I have a lot of faith in MR when it comes to recruiting, but it isn’t getting any easier. They desperately need to start winning more games if they are going to compete in the regional recruiting game.
First you have Missouri and minny, Illinois can't recruit its own state, minny has trouble and mizzou does fine but can't take them all.
Now, tier two big twelve? Not the same, competition, area, just not the same.
While it may be harder, imo its only because its more complicated.

First you have Missouri and minny, Illinois can't recruit its own state, minny has trouble and mizzou does fine but can't take them all.
Now, tier two big twelve? Not the same, competition, area, just not the same.
While it may be harder, imo its only because its more complicated.
I would add that I truly believe that "Prime's" act is going to get old quick. He gets rid of more players every year then he keeps. Why would you as a parent be interested in sending your kid to a place that does not respect the players?

It will get much, much harder as NIL money increases. The cash will speak louder than regional affiliations. Home will be much less where the heart and mom and dad are, and much more about making some cash at 18 for playing ball.

It will get much, much harder as NIL money increases. The cash will speak louder than regional affiliations. Home will be much less where the heart and mom and dad are, and much more about making some cash at 18 for playing ball.
I think that depends on the kid. If a kid is trying to help the family who has always been without. That will be very important. The opposite end of the spectrum would be kids like Raiola. His goal is not quick money. His goal is to be with coaches who will get him to the next level. He has had money his whole life. The kids in between those two spectrum edges will depend on the kid.

The way this staff works the recruiting front, I'm not concerned. I've never seen anything like it.

We never gotten every high ranking kid in the 500 mile radius. We're going to 'lose' kids to most of the schools you listed because of family relationships, familiarity with their local schools, etc. but Rhule & Co will get their fair share. It's really hard to flip a kid who grew up outside of Columbia as a Tigers fan. That's not a failure in my book, but we do need to recognize the 'wins' when we are able to take another state's talent. The staff also started the right way. Make sure you're locking down the kids you want in state. Carter. Kaelin. Both pretty likely going someplace else under the last staff, both in the incoming class because of who this group is and how they work. As far as Sanders, I don't think he's going to be at CU long enough to change his recruiting template, which right now is primarily transfers. What, he had seven in this years HS class and none of them are from inside his 500 mile radius much less ours. He's ignored the region from the get go.

To your last paragraph, completely agree, other than I'd remove the word 'desperately' from the sentence. Just progress this year and next, etc. and there really isn't any desperation, except maybe from the fans.

I think that depends on the kid. If a kid is trying to help the family who has always been without. That will be very important. The opposite end of the spectrum would be kids like Raiola. His goal is not quick money. His goal is to be with coaches who will get him to the next level. He has had money his whole life. The kids in between those two spectrum edges will depend on the kid.
I agree in theory. But Raiola is a unicorn. He has resources. His family has resources. He has ties to the school. His payoff is in 3-4 years. Most kids/families are not going to turn down the cash. And it will come. Coaches will “shop” for position needs, and the boosters will either be able to fund the player or not. HCMR basically said this a few months ago when he candidly said a good QB would “cost” $1 million. This is where we are.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back