• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

5 candidates to replace a possibility fired TM...

Ok, I think we all need to just breath a little when talking about coaches salaries. First, we aren’t paying some paltry amount. Miles is making 2.2ish with some perks and potential perks based on performance. As a comparison, here is a look at some of the folks near the top of the food chain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...hest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-14774331

I know we all like to think there’s no way a ‘real top coach’ would come to Nebraska, but what are we thinking? Coach K? Coach Calipari? Coach Self? No, they aren’t coming, and they aren’t going to Michigan or OSU either. Those guys have found a good place, and are paid well. Of the link I posted, at least 10 are underperforming, and at least 1 was fired. So for just a moment, consider 8 are in their dream jobs, 10 are struggling, which leaves about 10 of the top earners to choose from if your only requirement is we hire a top name coach. So...

-is Frank Martin leaving South Carolina? It’s only about $500k more than Miles, so do we really think our issue was money?

-can we lure Dana Altman from Oregon? He is right at $500k more, and took his teams to an Elite 8 and Final 4, but some say he’s not a fit because he’s 60. Seriously? Does Zion Williamson worry Coach K isn’t doing the demo on their drills because he’s over 60? Let’s not let building a Creighton program into a perennial power over 16 years, and making the Ducks a PAC power cloud our judgment, let’s focus on the irrelevant.

Just one guy’s opinion, but good players want to play for a smart coach, especially one that garners respect from others. Idiot players worry about a coach having ‘credibility’, or wearing the right clothes.

The focus needs to be; basketball acumen, ability to form the right relationships, and desire to create, not maintain or extend, create.

Last edited:

Ok, I think we all need to just breath a little when talking about coaches salaries. First, we aren’t paying some paltry amount. Miles is making 2.2ish with some perks and potential perks based on performance. As a comparison, here is a look at some of the folks near the top of the food chain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...hest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-14774331

I know we all like to think there’s no way a ‘real top coach’ would come to Nebraska, but what are we thinking? Coach K? Coach Calipari? Coach Self? No, they aren’t coming, and they aren’t going to Michigan or OSU either. Those guys have found a good place, and are paid well. Of the link I posted, at least 10 are underperforming, and at least 1 was fired. So for just a moment, consider 8 are in their dream jobs, 10 are struggling, which leaves about 10 of the top earners to choose from if your only requirement is we hire a top name coach. So...

-is Frank Martin leaving South Carolina? It’s only about $500k more than Miles, so do we really think our issue was money?

-can we lure Dana Altman from Oregon? He is right at $500k more, and took his teams to an Elite 8 and Final 4, but some say he’s not a fit because he’s 60. Seriously? Does Zion Williamson worry Coach K isn’t doing the demo on their drills because he’s over 60? Let’s not let building a Creighton program into a perennial power over 16 years, and making the Ducks a PAC power cloud our judgment, let’s focus on the irrelevant.

Just one guy’s opinion, but good players want to play for a smart coach, especially one that garners respect from others. Idiot players worry about a coach having ‘credibility’, or wearing the right clothes.

The focus needs to be; basketball acumen, ability to form the right relationships, and desire to create, not maintain or extend, create.
Amen!

I would say the focus needs to be on winning more games.

Just one guy’s opinion, but good players want to play for a smart coach, especially one that garners respect from others.

I agree with this Lars. Players do still want to win ... the majority of them will never play professionally, and most of those players aren't considering a program like Nebraska, so find a @#*% coach who can assess talent (including basketball IQ), teach and direct efficient and productive offense and defense, and who can develop his players.

Pretty easy, right? ;)

I agree with this Lars. Players do still want to win ... the majority of them will never play professionally, and most of those players aren't considering a program like Nebraska, so find a @#*% coach who can assess talent (including basketball IQ), teach and direct efficient and productive offense and defense, and who can develop his players.

Pretty easy, right? ;)

So easy a
caveman-smashing-laptop-smiley-emoticon.png
could do it.

A great coach won't be coming to nu for any money. He will have to become great while at nu. That's how it works.

Name the last great coach that left one job for another. It is rare. Very rare.
Bill Self, Saban, Chris Petersen, Lon Kruger, Chris Beard. No doubt it’s less frequent, but it does happen.

Self and Petersen left for very good, better jobs. That doesn't apply to NU basketball, unfortunately
While we all know we don't have the tradition, ignoring that, would you put coaching at Nebraska, our facilities, playing in the B1G, above coaching at Wichita State? How about Nevada-Reno? If a coach needs something ready made, we aren't it, but there are plenty of building blocks in place if a coach has skills in building a strong foundation in prior programs.

While we all know we don't have the tradition, ignoring that, would you put coaching at Nebraska, our facilities, playing in the B1G, above coaching at Wichita State? How about Nevada-Reno? If a coach needs something ready made, we aren't it, but there are plenty of building blocks in place if a coach has skills in building a strong foundation in prior programs.
I guess I should acknowledge that "great" coach is a little subjective. And certainly different from great HIRE.

mussleman or Marshall would be great hires IMO. Great coaches? Not yet. Both would be tough pulls. Marshall still probably has a long leash at Wichita...could retire with a statue...and could do better if he decided to leave. But yes...the call should be made for sure. If you think there's no love lost between NU and Creighton now...lol.

Put Altman and Hoiberg in the great hire category too imo. Altman is interesting. If he came to NU and got nu in a sweet 16 in relative short order he might start to fit into that "great" category.

No, Wichita State is a better basketball job than Nebraska at this point.

No, Wichita State is a better basketball job than Nebraska at this point.
Depends on how you define that. Wichita state is a better team. But they fall short of nebraska in facilities, resources, conference affiliation, the school itself, ability to pay big $, arena, etc. In other words, the infastructure comparison isn't even close. Nu just need the right coach. It's already a better place to recruit to.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back