• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

5-0 if not for special teams

HUSKERINWYO

Recruit
10 Year Member
This team is getting better except for special teams. They have directly lead to our three losses and it has to stop. Our O-line has its issues as well but seems to get it together after a while but not our special teams. Zero excuse for this. Is Frank Beamer available for special teams Coach?

It's massively apparent that special teams is costing us wins. Say what you want about the OL, but Martinez is playing well. Their primary job is to protect him and if they aren't playing up to snuff, he seems to be making enough plays to overcome it.

Defense is elite. We look amazing on that side of the ball.

If not for botched kicks, bad punts and sloppy returns, we easily beat Illinois, Oklahoma and Michigan State. With wins over #3 and #20, we'd probably be ranked somewhere around #20-25 right now.

Let that sink in. SPT has cost us a 5-0 start, a national ranking, and with a likely win over Northwestern, a bowl game already locked up by 6 games in.

It's massively apparent that special teams is costing us wins. Say what you want about the OL, but Martinez is playing well. Their primary job is to protect him and if they aren't playing up to snuff, he seems to be making enough plays to overcome it.

If not for botched kicks, bad punts and sloppy returns, we easily beat Illinois, Oklahoma and Michigan State. With wins over #3 and #20, we'd probably be ranked somewhere around #20-25 right now.

Let that sink in. SPT has cost us a 5-0 start, a national ranking, and with a likely win over Northwestern, a bowl game already locked up by 6 games in.
What’s frustrating about the o-line is they make plays where they’re bull rushed back into the QB, or completely wiff on a block, and then turn around and have back to back straight plays where they blow the defender back 3+ yards, and then another where AM has all the time
in the world. So that leads me to believe it’s mental, which frustrates me greatly.

What’s frustrating about special teams is that in 4 years, we’ve never had a great unit from top
To bottom. Just mind blowing.

This team is getting better except for special teams. They have directly lead to our three losses and it has to stop. Our O-line has its issues as well but seems to get it together after a while but not our special teams. Zero excuse for this. Is Frank Beamer available for special teams Coach?

The offense is most definitely not getting better, either. It has regressed . . . was better when Walters was OC and Austin wasn't "run game coordinator". And I was no fan of Walters. I have no idea what this offense is supposed to be, but it looks like a disjointed mess and is still not remotely carrying its own weight.

Defense is the only phase of the game that has shown the growth you would expect in year four and they have actually overachieved, IMHO.

The offense is most definitely not getting better, either. It has regressed . . . was better when Walters was OC and Austin wasn't "run game coordinator". And I was no fan of Walters. I have no idea what this offense is supposed to be, but it looks like a disjointed mess and is still not remotely carrying its own weight.

Defense is the only phase of the game that has shown the growth you would expect in year four and they have actually overachieved, IMHO.
Lubick and his O cronies :Thumbsdown:
Chinander and his D lieutenants :thumbsup:

5-0 and NU is sitting in the top 10 right now, not 20-25. No way that low.

I think we would be 4-1 with good special teams play. Oklahoma missed a field goal also. We can’t say if we just made our field goals we would have won.

What’s frustrating about the o-line is they make plays where they’re bull rushed back into the QB, or completely wiff on a block, and then turn around and have back to back straight plays where they blow the defender back 3+ yards, and then another where AM has all the time
in the world. So that leads me to believe it’s mental, which frustrates me greatly.

What’s frustrating about special teams is that in 4 years, we’ve never had a great unit from top
To bottom. Just mind blowing.
Honestly, not even adequate special teams, top to bottom.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back