• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* Top247 DE Tiaoalii Savea

Different player but this would lessen the gut punch of losing K. Green. Though we need many more before we challenge for anything of worth. Then again, I think beating Iowa is a worthwhile goal for NU at the current time.........so there's that.

Different player but this would lessen the gut punch of losing K. Green. Though we need many more before we challenge for anything of worth. Then again, I think beating Iowa is a worthwhile goal for NU at the current time.........so there's that.
I think Gbayor lessened the gut punch ..... Savea would be another exclamation point on a fantastic class ..... so far.

No away around it, losing Keyshawn Greene is a gut punch. But all things being equal, IMPO it's more important to start seeing the staff pulling in kids like Tiaoalii Savea.

I think the coaches are doing a good job of building up the LB room. I trust they'll get that position solidified in another class or two. Even after losing guys like Jaiden Francois, Henry Gray, Cam'ron Jones and CJ Smith, I think everyone is still comfortable with where the secondary is going.

Really, for me, the only spot I've been critical of is the d-line. The o-line is on its way to being in the same breath with any in the conference. Matt Lubick has killed it at WR, while Held and Verduzco continue to get their guys.

But if you are to truly turn around your program, you have to get the d-line to mirror the o-line. You need to be adding Ty Robinson's and Nash Hutmacher's every class. You can't bookend a guy like Hutmacher with short-term juco guys, or obvious projects like Marquis Black. Sure, guys like Black are nice additions, but they have to be outliers. Black would be an exciting addition if you had two other top HS guys like the staff planned on like Jamar Sekona, Tuli Tuipulotu, Nusi Malani, Alex Harrison or Tanoa Togiai.

Getting guys like Tiaoalii Savea has to be an annual thing.

No away around it, losing Keyshawn Greene is a gut punch. But all things being equal, IMPO it's more important to start seeing the staff pulling in kids like Tiaoalii Savea.

I think the coaches are doing a good job of building up the LB room. I trust they'll get that position solidified in another class or two. Even after losing guys like Jaiden Francois, Henry Gray, Cam'ron Jones and CJ Smith, I think everyone is still comfortable with where the secondary is going.

Really, for me, the only spot I've been critical of is the d-line. The o-line is on its way to being in the same breath with any in the conference. Matt Lubick has killed it at WR, while Held and Verduzco continue to get their guys.

But if you are to truly turn around your program, you have to get the d-line to mirror the o-line. You need to be adding Ty Robinson's and Nash Hutmacher's every class. You can't bookend a guy like Hutmacher with short-term juco guys, or obvious projects like Marquis Black. Sure, guys like Black are nice additions, but they have to be outliers. Black would be an exciting addition if you had two other top HS guys like the staff planned on like Jamar Sekona, Tuli Tuipulotu, Nusi Malani, Alex Harrison or Tanoa Togiai.

I feel like all those recruit names could be made up and most of us wouldn't know any different :Biggrin:

I think you’re spot on. My only additional comment is that we need to sign a true stud pass rusher. I think all the other pieces are in place and on track, but you have to be able to get after the QB in this game. Maybe that guy is on the roster now, or in this 2021 class. But it’s not obvious yet. I hope Payton sticks, as he may develop into that guy. But we need more of those body types with the speed and athleticism to pressure the QB consistently.

I think you’re spot on. My only additional comment is that we need to sign a true stud pass rusher. I think all the other pieces are in place and on track, but you have to be able to get after the QB in this game. Maybe that guy is on the roster now, or in this 2021 class. But it’s not obvious yet. I hope Payton sticks, as he may develop into that guy. But we need more of those body types with the speed and athleticism to pressure the QB consistently.

Definitely. And I think those spots will come from OLBs. Unless you're recruiting/developing a future 1st round pick, you'll be lucky to have a DE who gets much more than the 6-8 sacks that Khalil Davis was getting for you. And that's really good production from a 3-4 end.

Even if Ty Robinson turns out to be who you're expecting him to be, you can't "expect" double digit sacks out of him. Not a lot of 3-4 d-linemen get those kind of numbers.

That's why it's imperative that you find a way to keep a guy like Payton. He's got the highest pass rush ceiling of all the guys you've brought in since Randy Gregory. I like the potential of guys like Jimari Butler and Niko Cooper, they have that length and natural explosion you're looking for. But like you said, you gotta keep adding to that pool of options. You look at schools like Wisconsin and they churn new guys out every year. You have to get to that level.

CB to Nebraska from Wiltfong today........so there is that.....

giphy.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back