• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star WR Demariyon Houston is N

This would help as far as getting more full-body workouts, but it's the nature of lifts like the bench-press that cause the problem, not just that they're doing it too much. Again, this is by far my weakest area as a coach, so throw out anything that I'm saying that conflicts with whatever @ShortSideOption says because he clearly knows his stuff when it comes to S&C.

The problem isn't just that they're doing too many/too much bench, it's that they're not doing the reciprocal strength work to build up the opposing muscles and counter-acting the strain on the ligaments, cartilage, and smaller muscles. Have you seen the jammer? It's a stand-up push-pull machine that has one arm pushing while the other is pulling so that there is resistance both ways. (Fwiw, I'm just repeating what Duval said on Saturday morning.) If there isn't the pulling component, the stress created by the muscles building up in only one aspect creates a strain (No Diaco jokes, please!) on the tissues and surfaces where the stronger muscle is not pulling.

This part is me talking, so it's probably wrong, but the way that I visualized it and explained it to other coaches who didn't hear the talk is that it's like you're overloading one side of a teeter-totter by overworking one muscle while ignoring the other side. The difference in the analogy, though, is that an overweighted teeter-totter would just stay stationary, whereas with the muscles, the firing of the developed muscle will tear something somewhere, eventually, if it is countered.

Now you can wait for someone else to correct what I said.
Super familiar with both Zach and the Jammer. We used the entire lineup while I was at Nebraska. I do think traditional S&C gets it wrong quite a bit when using mainly barbell exercises. Super easy to further the imbalances if you're pushing a barbell on the bench press or squatting/deadlifting because a weakness in one area can be overcompensated by a stronger area. We did, and I still do, a lot of single arm/single leg exercises. The best explanation I've heard of this was by a former Assistant of ours Chad Beckman, who would ask you if your body was symmetrical or asymmetrical. If your left side isn't exactly like your right side, why would you train them as such? Really hit home and made you understand that while the core movements and barbells weren't bad, there were auxiliary movements and other things that we should be doing as well to insure total body strength and more importantly, injury prevention.

I just don't know that it's reasonable to ask high school coaches to get their CSCS, or gain the knowledge given the time constraint a lot of them have and the lack of pay in a lot of instances.

I just don't know that it's reasonable to ask high school coaches to get their CSCS, or gain the knowledge given the time constraint a lot of them have and the lack of pay in a lot of instances.
To be clear, he didn't say that or ask for that. He was asking them to think about how they set up their program. Like I've said, this is clearly a week area for me personally as a coach, but I completely understood what he was getting at.

To be clear, he didn't say that or ask for that. He was asking them to think about how they set up their program. Like I've said, this is clearly a week area for me personally as a coach, but I completely understood what he was getting at.
Right, and I apologize, I wasn't trying to misquote ya. I love Zach and his entire family, I've long thought he was the man for the job even back when MR was hired and Boyd had all but told him that the job was his.

I just know it's super tough for HS coaches to program something in the short amount of time they're given each week during the period, etc.

I learned the lesson of counter muscle injuries when I used to run a lot. I had/have big calves. I used to get stress fractures from all the running I did. Until I had someone tell me I needed to do some exercises to strengthen the muscles on the front of the leg over the shin. Once I did that and make sure I stretched front and back muscles after running. No more shin splints.
This is the post that I can relate to here - until I learned a lift for my shins, my calves caused shin-splints. I learned a type of leg lift for the front thigh muscles (quads?) to balance my hamstrings and make my knees track correctly. Running messed me up, and no one with a clue was available to help. I think people are saying that Duval is thinking about this, and addressing it at some level. Not ideal if kids are getting hurt, but maybe on the way to resolving some cases before they happen.

This is me summarizing what I think I'm reading here. Would like to think that the coaches are on top of things, and it sounds like they are to some degree.

Right, and I apologize, I wasn't trying to misquote ya. I love Zach and his entire family, I've long thought he was the man for the job even back when MR was hired and Boyd had all but told him that the job was his.

I just know it's super tough for HS coaches to program something in the short amount of time they're given each week during the period, etc.
That’s a really tough job. The Husker Power program that was designed and used by high schools across the state in the 90s was really good for a HS coach.

That’s a really tough job. The Husker Power program that was designed and used by high schools across the state in the 90s was really good for a HS coach.
We were very fortunate in HS to have a coach move in to be our oline coach and S&C coach who had just left the Seattle Seahawks. We went 1-9 the year he got there, 7-5 the season after he had a full season, and 10-2 the following. You’re starting to see more big time programs invest in them, and I would say it’s probably only going to improve in pay as time goes on.

https://pro-football-history.com/coach/1799/rod-springer-bio

This is what pretty much every coach in every small school program like mine would love to have. I think that there are a lot of coaches like me who worry as much about screwing a kid up as we do about getting the team stronger.

We were very fortunate in HS to have a coach move in to be our oline coach and S&C coach who had just left the Seattle Seahawks. We went 1-9 the year he got there, 7-5 the season after he had a full season, and 10-2 the following. You’re starting to see more big time programs invest in them, and I would say it’s probably only going to improve in pay as time goes on.

https://pro-football-history.com/coach/1799/rod-springer-bio
If that starts to happen, it's going to hammer the poorer school districts' football programs. There are already expenses like Hudl that a lot of schools are all but forced by need to pay for, and now that's going up. Some schools still won't cover that expense, so the coaches have to figure out how to get alumni to do it, or else the coaches pool funds to pay for it. Schools that have been successful tend to have no trouble getting funding, but the schools that have struggled to build a program just fall further behind. I agree that a S&C coach would make a huge difference, but it's just going to cement the statuses of the haves from the have-nots, in my opinion.

This is what pretty much every coach in every small school program like mine would love to have. I think that there are a lot of coaches like me who worry as much about screwing a kid up as we do about getting the team stronger.
We used the husker power program at Southeast. It was all print and once introduced, we followed it ourselves with sheets and tracking.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back