• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4-Star QB Luke McCaffrey is N (from Valor Christian, CO)

Where would you put him on your preference list? I personally liked Johnson and Plumlee more. This kids a very good looking prospect with great bloodlines, don't get me wrong, just wondering what you thought.
I was actually curious your take on that, because I thought the exact same thing...

My thoughts are there are certainly guys we were sitting good with that would have a higher ceiling in almost every instance. But we have one of the most unorthodox QB coaches in the country. Some of the things he coaches and talks about are basically taught as complete no-no's by other coaches. Throwing late over the middle, throwing late over the middle across your body, falling back, throwing one footed, all those things he talks to. Then you see our guys actually repping doing those things in practice, and you start to see why Milton at UCF had success throwing some odd balls to get them to the receiver "by any means necessary". You then look at McCaffrey's film, and he's doing a lot of the things we coach. So you can then say you don't have to change anything on how you QB, and I can even enhance those for you and you'll be Mckenzie Milton in no time. So from a "fit" perspective, i'm not sure it gets much better. But could someone with a higher ceiling be taught these things and end up being a better QB for us? I don't know.

For me the bottom line is i'm trying to decide if this four star was the best we could get at the position. Sounds like a problem most programs would die to have.

I was actually curious your take on that, because I thought the exact same thing...

My thoughts are there are certainly guys we were sitting good with that would have a higher ceiling in almost every instance. But we have one of the most unorthodox QB coaches in the country. Some of the things he coaches and talks about are basically taught as complete no-no's by other coaches. Throwing late over the middle, throwing late over the middle across your body, falling back, throwing one footed, all those things he talks to. Then you see our guys actually repping doing those things in practice, and you start to see why Milton at UCF had success throwing some odd balls to get them to the receiver "by any means necessary". You then look at McCaffrey's film, and he's doing a lot of the things we coach. So you can then say you don't have to change anything on how you QB, and I can even enhance those for you and you'll be Mckenzie Milton in no time. So from a "fit" perspective, i'm not sure it gets much better. But could someone with a higher ceiling be taught these things and end up being a better QB for us? I don't know.

For me the bottom line is i'm trying to decide if this four star was the best we could get at the position. Sounds like a problem most programs would die to have.

Yup

Exciting news. I think it's a great sign that someone like this signed with Nebraska: talented group of kids, very football and business savvy parents. You could hold it up as a sign for other parents to consider UNL foobtall.

ps. I put McCaffrey Rocky Mountain Mustard on Nebraska ground beef last night... pretty sure this is my doing!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back