• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star LB Wynden Ho'ouhli is N

You think Henrich stays inside?
I think the "quick read" guys are supposed to play inside, where their top speed won't matter as much. The outside guys have to be either big run-stopper types, really fast coverage types, or both (and no matter what be able to pass rush). I don't know much, but I think Heinrich has a higher ceiling inside -- grab a starting spot and keep it for several years, maybe get some all-conference recognition for it. I have no idea what happens with Reimer: great instincts but smaller and gets injured often.

He could but good roster management would suggest he move outside. It’s a numbers game and we appear to need him outside more than inside, for 2021 and beyond.
They really need the spring to figure out LB. Ruud wants to play 3 guys minimum if not 3, Henrich is definitely our third. But we can’t get an OLB to save our life recruiting, and Henrich arguably played the best there (except Domann obviously). Payne was a real pleasant surprise to me, I think I know what Nelson is, Tannor improves tremendously as well, but we are not in a good spot at OLB when Domann leaves. I like what we are blueprinting with Wright and Bretz, it just takes time.

Very intriguing. We need a spring for this position group to figure things out.

I think the "quick read" guys are supposed to play inside, where their top speed won't matter as much. The outside guys have to be either big run-stopper types, really fast coverage types, or both (and no matter what be able to pass rush). I don't know much, but I think Heinrich has a higher ceiling inside -- grab a starting spot and keep it for several years, maybe get some all-conference recognition for it. I have no idea what happens with Reimer: great instincts but smaller and gets injured often.
Really good post. I just know Henrich played well at OLB and we can’t recruit that position to save our life. But we recruit so many ILBs it’s crazy. He’s got the best frame to do what they want outside from all our ILBs.

They really need the spring to figure out LB. Ruud wants to play 3 guys minimum if not 3, Henrich is definitely our third. But we can’t get an OLB to save our life recruiting, and Henrich arguably played the best there (except Domann obviously). Payne was a real pleasant surprise to me, I think I know what Nelson is, Tannor improves tremendously as well, but we are not in a good spot at OLB when Domann leaves. I like what we are blueprinting with Wright and Bretz, it just takes time.

Very intriguing. We need a spring for this position group to figure things out.
That sounds like roster management, leaving out Isaac Gifford and Niko Cooper who were getting some time at the end of the year. Would be great if they could finally fill the holes in the LB positions (just in time to have holes at safety and cornerback).

Really good post. I just know Henrich played well at OLB and we can’t recruit that position to save our life. But we recruit so many ILBs it’s crazy. He’s got the best frame to do what they want outside from all our ILBs.
To me, it seemed Heinrich floorished more after the move back to the inside late in the year. Maybe I'm wrong with that assessment, and maybe he played better because he was in his comfort zone, but he certainly appeared more comfortable on the inside. I really liked what I saw out of him after him not playing so well earlier in the year.

I also feel the kid was given a tough situation as they kept moving him back and forth, so they weren't able to develop him as much as they wanted. As you said, let the spring sort out this dilemna. But dammit...give the kid a position and let him stay there. He is too talented to be fiddled with.

That sounds like roster management, leaving out Isaac Gifford and Niko Cooper who were getting some time at the end of the year. Would be great if they could finally fill the holes in the LB positions (just in time to have holes at safety and cornerback).
Did I miss something? Cooper and Gifford played zero snaps at LB against Rutgers and Iowa.

To me, it seemed Heinrich floorished more after the move back to the inside late in the year. Maybe I'm wrong with that assessment, and maybe he played better because he was in his comfort zone, but he certainly appeared more comfortable on the inside. I really liked what I saw out of him after him not playing so well earlier in the year.

I also feel the kid was given a tough situation as they kept moving him back and forth, so they weren't able to develop him as much as they wanted. As you said, let the spring sort out this dilemna. But dammit...give the kid a position and let him stay there. He is too talented to be fiddled with.
I’d agree with all of that. You do a kid no favors to reach his ceiling doing that. I guess for me it comes down to, when Domann leaves do you want your second best LB (Henrich) to play ILB or OLB? That’s why I think spring is so important. They gotta figure out if they have serviceable guys at OLB to keep Henrich inside.

Did I miss something? Cooper and Gifford played zero snaps at LB against Rutgers and Iowa.
Really? I was sure I had to look up a number and got Cooper during Rutgers, and Gifford was playing special teams I thought. Maybe I'm way off... will check.

EDIT: Gifford had a tackle against Rutgers and Iowa, Cooper had one against Rutgers. But I think your point is that they are only playing special teams, which may well be the case. I guess I'm used to guys who start showing up on special teams being the guys who are close to playing "real snaps" -- that's not a safe assumption anymore. Anyways, I thought those guys were coming on, I may be incorrect.

Last edited:

Really? I was sure I had to look up a number and got Cooper during Rutgers, and Gifford was playing special teams I thought. Maybe I'm way off... will check.

EDIT: Gifford had a tackle against Rutgers and Iowa, Cooper had one against Rutgers. But I think your point is that they are only playing special teams, which may well be the case. I guess I'm used to guys who start showing up on special teams being the guys who are close to playing "real snaps" -- that's not a safe assumption anymore. Anyways, I thought those guys were coming on, I may be incorrect.
Ya I believe they both played special teams. Gifford actually played a little at safety from time to time.

You mention Reimers injuries. I wonder if he would be better outside? He has the speed to cover in the pass game. And he can come off the edge like JoJo. Maybe play him opposite of JoJo in 2021 and then he can take over for JoJo in 2022?

I don’t know. I’m just spit balling here.

You mention Reimers injuries. I wonder if he would be better outside? He has the speed to cover in the pass game. And he can come off the edge like JoJo. Maybe play him opposite of JoJo in 2021 and then he can take over for JoJo in 2022?

I don’t know. I’m just spit balling here.
I think @HuSkaBob mare a good point with Henrich and Reimer “reading quickly” and that being a real good attribute for ILB. OLB is easy, set the edge and turn it back inside.

Since JoJo and Nelson are coming back, Heinrich will play in the middle with Reimer. Snodgrass has been backing them up. Unless he's better than the guys there now, he'll have some time to learn the system. Hope he's good enough to break into the rotation.
Honas? Has he made a decision to return?

I think @HuSkaBob mare a good point with Henrich and Reimer “reading quickly” and that being a real good attribute for ILB. OLB is easy, set the edge and turn it back inside.
Reimer has incredible instincts. He’s one of those guys who just has a nose for the ball. It make sense to keep him inside. I guess the only question is, can he take the physical pounding inside given his smaller size for an ILB? It’s probably the risk you take though.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back