• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star JUCO RB Dedrick Mills is N; Update: Will Be On Campus Wednesday 22 May

Fingers crossed.
fingersCrossed.gif

Looks like he has graduated however, based on this article he does not have the required 2.5 GPA in order to transfer thus is back at the Community College taking a couple of classes in order to get his GPA up

The GPA didn't keep him from graduating...just gotta nail these finals.

This is very concerning imo... It also makes me wonder what happened from the recruitment and acceptance at GT, which is thought to be a tough academic school - to getting kicked off for failing drug tests and now struggling to get a 2.5 at a CC in order to transfer.
I am pulling for the kid, but that is a heck of a mountain to climb....and while he may be good at football, there seems to be some potential baggage.
Fingers crossed
:Huskerflag:

It sounds to me like the common situation where a kid figures out a little late that all of his grades matter. He may be doing well on his grades now, but if his grades at GT stunk then he may have a big hill to climb in order to get his overall GPA back up to a 2.5. I hope that he can pull this off. We really are thin at RB and need some talent like him to be available.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the common situation where a kid figures out a little late that all of his grades matter. He may be doing well on his grades now, but if his grades at GT stunk then he may have a big hill to climb in order to get his overall GPA back up to a 2.5. I hope that he can pull this off. We really are thin at RB and need some talent like him to be available.
I'm guessing he's retaking a few classes where he had a D or C, instead of taking different classes altogether. If he can retake a class (or three) and bring the grade from a D/C to a B, that's going to boost his GPA more than taking a new class and getting a B.

I'm guessing he's retaking a few classes where he had a D or C, instead of taking different classes altogether. If he can retake a class (or three) and bring the grade from a D/C to a B, that's going to boost his GPA more than taking a new class and getting a B.

I know he can typically retake a class and replace the grade, but I don't know how that all works when retaking a class from a different school from the one you originally got the grade from. It may be that he is stuck with the GT grades unless he retakes them through GT, which he isn't doing. Also, I know he was kick off the team for the failed drug test, but did he finish out the semester? If he didn't then he may have some failing grades to make up for. Either way it sounds like he has learned some lessons and has been trying to get his life in order. I hope he is able to work through the consequences of his past issues and make it to NU.

I understand it requires a 2.5 gpa to enroll at UNL. What gpa did he need to qualify to play at the juco ?
Certainly the coaches could see he had D-1 talent so should we (blindly) assume they had his best interest at heart and were upfront with him that his grades while at the juco needed to improve, and improve dramatically?

I understand it requires a 2.5 gpa to enroll at UNL. What gpa did he need to qualify to play at the juco ?
Certainly the coaches could see he had D-1 talent so should we (blindly) assume they had his best interest at heart and were upfront with him that his grades while at the juco needed to improve, and improve dramatically?

It looks like the admission policies at Garden City is pretty wide open. You just need to be in good academic standing as a transfer. If your GPA is below 1.5 then you are admitted on probation but still admitted.
https://www.gcccks.edu/admission/policies/
https://www.gcccks.edu/admission/studenttypes/transfer/

I'm sure he knew full well that he had grade work to do. How much depended on where he started at academically. It sounded like Sims and the previous staff was working with him and had a plan on getting him eligible.

I’ve never heard of anyone not being accepted to a JUCO due to grades. As long as you have a high school degree you’re good.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back