• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star JUCO RB Dedrick Mills is N; Update: Will Be On Campus Wednesday 22 May

I really hope Mills gets here for the start of summer, but is it possible to graduate before taking finals? The sequence in the tweet seems out of order, but maybe I read it incorrectly.
I have never heard of a situation where you graduate before taking finals. I have worked as an adjunct professor for over a decade, and none of my graduating students are allowed to participate in commencement until I have acknowledged that they have met all requirements, including completing the final exam.

Could it be that he is taking a correspondence course from Highland in order to graduate?
The entire situation just has quite a few things that make wonder what's going on. Perhaps, there is a correspondence course, but it would be super easy to just add that to an article as in: "One course Mills has to pass is an online course that he is taking through Highland Community College." I hoping something has been lost in translation and the OP just interpreted the article incorrectly...as a parent and former athlete, I wouldn't want college coach from a school I don't attend discussing what's going on with my personal situation.

It's all just confusing.

I have never heard of a situation where you graduate before taking finals. I have worked as an adjunct professor for over a decade, and none of my graduating students are allowed to participate in commencement until I have acknowledged that they have met all requirements, including completing the final exam.
How could he have graduated Friday if finals are this week?
I thought the same thing when I read this a few minutes ago before coming to this thread. I never had a final after graduation. Anyone else?
This kid was waiting on grades to be eligible. Could explain a lot from that tweet.
I've seen a similar situation before and am totally speculating on what I have seen done before. The finals are most likely not the ones that were scheduled for the regular spring semester classes. It sounds like he is doing extra class work. If he was allowed to walk with the class in graduation, it most likely means that his grades are good enough in those classes that he will pass the classes as long as he takes the finals. I've seen student-athletes who weren't allowed to walk because the finals determined whether the classes would actually be passed or not.

I've seen a similar situation before and am totally speculating on what I have seen done before. The finals are most likely not the ones that were scheduled for the regular spring semester classes. It sounds like he is doing extra class work. If he was allowed to walk with the class in graduation, it most likely means that his grades are good enough in those classes that he will pass the classes as long as he takes the finals. I've seen student-athletes who weren't allowed to walk because the finals determined whether the classes would actually be passed or not.

That makes sense

Looks like he has graduated however, based on this article he does not have the required 2.5 GPA in order to transfer thus is back at the Community College taking a couple of classes in order to get his GPA up

Last edited:

Looks like he has graduated however, based on this article he does not have the required 2.5 GPA in order to transfer thus is back at the Community College taking a couple of classes in order to get his GPA up

Good story - and cool to hear that Yoshi Hardrick called Coach Sims to tell him that he just took his last final and is set to graduate from Nebraska. We are going miss that Coach Sims connection...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back