• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star (in-State) WR Zavier Betts N!

Yep, his school had no math book AND no homework. I only saw how he was doing after an "exit ticket" was brought home at which point we would spend time going over the ones he got wrong so I knew he was understanding it.

Both of his teachers these past two years each said that they weren't always certain what they were asking their students to do. To me, that is a challenge that definitely needs to change.

The reality that Betts is in could become much more prevalent a few years down the road if the mathematics foundation for these kids isn't built first.
I absolutely agree. Things will get worse before they get better.

Yep, his school had no math book AND no homework. I only saw how he was doing after an "exit ticket" was brought home at which point we would spend time going over the ones he got wrong so I knew he was understanding it.

Both of his teachers these past two years each said that they weren't always certain what they were asking their students to do. To me, that is a challenge that definitely needs to change.

The reality that Betts is in could become much more prevalent a few years down the road if the mathematics foundation for these kids isn't built first.
Same thing for my kids who are now a freshman and a senior. When my daughter was in 3rd grade she was struggling with math. When we went to her conferences they had her do a sample proplem for something simple like 3 times 4. She ended up filling up an entire page and got the wrong answer. I argued with her teacher that what they’re teaching is basically worthless if a kid can’t come up with the right answer. She told me that today’s corporate America wants thinkers and they were teaching kids different strategies to find the answer rather then facts. i asked her what could is all this thinking if they can’t come up with the correct answer?? I got crickets on that question. We then started the flash cards at home with her and later with my son when he got a little older. The daughter ended up with high B’s and A’s in subsequent math classes and got a 31 on the math portion of the ACT. I don’t blame the teachers as much as the districts and the government, the teachers are getting this crap dumped on them and are trying to keep their jobs.

Yes RR, you are correct. I am a little surprised that there seems to be such little hope for him to be declared eligible since he has another year to meet the qualifying standards. Either the stories are being exaggerated, or he has dug a very deep hole.

I am also a little amused that so many people think that an ACT/SAT tutor can turn things around. I have tutored dozens of students who are preparing for the exam, primarily for the Math portion of the test. When I first meet with a student, I always ask the same question: "What is 7 times 9?" You would be shocked at how many students I work with break out in a cold sweat and immediately start looking for a calculator. At that point, I tell the parent that we all are wasting our time on exam tutoring. I also say that I will work with the child. but I will have to go back to 3rd and 4th grade level math and work my way through Algebra II to get them ready for the exam. If they don't know basic multiplication facts, they probably are weak with fractions, percentages, basic Algebra, etc.

You might be thinking, "How can a student continue to be passed year after year without learning anything?' That's a fair question. As a former teacher and school administrator I can say that there are basically two answers to that question. First, some teachers are just incompetent and pass everybody. The more likely answer, however, is that many administrators will fire a teacher that fails more than 20-25% of their students. That averages out to about 5-7 students per class. Most teachers have at least that many students in their lower level classes who do absolutely nothing. Many of those will fail unless they have a great deal of natural ability. However, the rest of the students will probably pass if the teacher wants to stay employed. Yes, it is sad.
As a former Army Recruiter, I can't begin to tell you how many high school graduates could not come close to passing GED which roughly equates to a 31st percentile on the ASVAB. If a kid was close, usually practicing cross multiplication for word problems and multiplying and dividing fractions would get them over the hump, or even give them a big boost. It blows my mind how many HS grad kids, to include those that came in with college degrees did not have enough mathematical knowledge to pass GED criteria.
Sometimes we would ask how to spell chaos just to see what we would be dealing with.
I also substituted in Arkansas and Oklahoma and they struggled with completely different things.
Teachers need to quit bitching about standardized testing and teach the standard.
That isn't too take responsibility away from parents/family, as far too often kids in kindergarten have never been read to and can't count. It is truly sad.
America is living a damn lie if they think our education system is worth a crap. If we want to make America Great period, we need to get down and dirty fixing education and having 100% accountabilty, to include families.
Enough tangent, I just get so pissed the f off when kids get left behind and they think they are dumb etc. and their potential is getting cut short.
I LOVE the commitment that the University of Nebraska has put in to the education piece over the years. Countless examples.
How many prop 48 and JUCOs went on to success? How many academic all-americans across all sports.
How many football players gave become doctors in various fields?
That is a testament to the Huskers and part of the reason I love em!
#GBR
Hope this young man becomes another success by overcoming adversity and contributing to the greatness of NU and Nebraskans!

Same thing for my kids who are now a freshman and a senior. When my daughter was in 3rd grade she was struggling with math. When we went to her conferences they had her do a sample proplem for something simple like 3 times 4. She ended up filling up an entire page and got the wrong answer. I argued with her teacher that what they’re teaching is basically worthless if a kid can’t come up with the right answer. She told me that today’s corporate America wants thinkers and they were teaching kids different strategies to find the answer rather then facts. i asked her what could is all this thinking if they can’t come up with the correct answer?? I got crickets on that question. We then started the flash cards at home with her and later with my son when he got a little older. The daughter ended up with high B’s and A’s in subsequent math classes and got a 31 on the math portion of the ACT. I don’t blame the teachers as much as the districts and the government, the teachers are getting this crap dumped on them and are trying to keep their jobs.
As an Army Recruiter having spent enormous amounts of time for work, and volunteering with youth, I can say first hand that there are a ton of teachers that have cashed it in. Also many who I gave the practice ASVAB and could not hit the GED rough equivalent 31st percentile.

Districts in many areas cannot find teachers since they have added math and science certifications because college kids don't want to teach that or can't pass.

Memorizing the multiplication chart to 12 is never a bad thing but some of my daughter's teachers thought they had better ideas. She struggled until we just made her memorize every night.

But many schools say memorization is bad. It isn't motivating. Well you can't ride a bike until you have strength, coordination, and balance. You have to walk to gain those things before you ride a bike and tear it up having fun.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back