• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star DT Nash Hutmacher Is N (Top 247)

Nash’s high school team has been a bottom feeder for at least 30 years. A lot of coaching turnover. I think they have good athletes but not a lot of coaching knowledge to help them. I think he is very raw football wise. It wouldn’t surprise me if he plays 4 years or transfers to a small school in a year just to see the field. One thing that does concern me after watching him play a couple times is he may have slow feet.

Nash’s high school team has been a bottom feeder for at least 30 years. A lot of coaching turnover. I think they have good athletes but not a lot of coaching knowledge to help them. I think he is very raw football wise. It wouldn’t surprise me if he plays 4 years or transfers to a small school in a year just to see the field. One thing that does concern me after watching him play a couple times is he may have slow feet.
My guess is that NUs coaching staff has a pretty good handle on his speed and agility. From watching a few of his wrestling matches he seems to have pretty good footwork IMO.

My guess is that NUs coaching staff has a pretty good handle on his speed and agility. From watching a few of his wrestling matches he seems to have pretty good footwork IMO.
I would agree. DL is not about 40 times. It is about getting around the guy in front of you. Plus people can be taught how to move their feet and hands. I am pretty sure no one will outwork the guy. For the record @Corn fed pretty sure if football did not work out he would drop the weight and move to Wrestling.

Wow. Tough crowd. I didn’t say he was going to transfer. I said it wouldn’t surprise me if he played for 4 year which means he was a group player or he tranferred. That’s what being raw means. We don’t know how he will turn out. I’ve watched him play twice in person and about all his games last year on video. All the games are steamed Chamberlain Cubs Live.

@Corn fed: 'Tough Crowd.' -- yep. I was initially going to welcome you to HM, then I saw you have been a member longer than I have!!!

Hard to gauge your true sentiments with so few posts, and 1/2 just on this page. ;) Don't think even the experts will argue much about the term raw based upon competition, coaching or technique.

Can you elaborate when & where you saw NH play in person? Assume you are from SD or have close ties ... and, welcome!

Last edited:
@Corn fed: 'Tough Crowd.' -- yep. I was initially going to welcome you to HM, then I saw you have been a member longer than I have!!!

Hard to gauge your true sentiments with so few posts, and 1/2 just on this page. ;) Don't think even the experts will argue much about the term raw based upon competition, coaching or technique.

Can you elaborate when & where you saw NH play in person? Assume you are from SD or have close ties ... and, welcome!
I live about an hour away from Chamberlain. Chamberlain is a little bit of a rival of my hometown but rarely give any decent teams much of a problem. I get to see several high school games a year and if I’m not at a game, I watch by live stream. I’ve watched him play live in chamberlain and in Winner. He man handles most opposing lineman and has a real good motor chasing down runners from behind. He needs to work on his footwork to shed and get around blocks though. He relies on his strength. The well coached teams and kids closer to his size have been able to lessen his effectiveness. He really needs more knowledgeable coaching. Chamberlain just doesn’t have the coaching stability and hasn’t for quite some time. He is a really good kid and will work his butt off. We share some mutual acquaintances so I know he is training constantly for wrestling.

I live about an hour away from Chamberlain. Chamberlain is a little bit of a rival of my hometown but rarely give any decent teams much of a problem. I get to see several high school games a year and if I’m not at a game, I watch by live stream. I’ve watched him play live in chamberlain and in Winner. He man handles most opposing lineman and has a real good motor chasing down runners from behind. He needs to work on his footwork to shed and get around blocks though. He relies on his strength. The well coached teams and kids closer to his size have been able to lessen his effectiveness. He really needs more knowledgeable coaching. Chamberlain just doesn’t have the coaching stability and hasn’t for quite some time. He is a really good kid and will work his butt off. We share some mutual acquaintances so I know he is training constantly for wrestling.

Are you west of the Missouri in Gregory or Tripp Counties?? Heading that way at end of month to visit family near Bonesteel & Dallas, among other stops.

I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I'd add that I haven't seen any teams actually run at him since he was a freshman. I haven't seen any O-lineman handle him 1-on-1. I absolutely agree that Chamberlain has historically underperformed with lots of coaching turnover, but they have had some decent coaches recently, though I can't speak to his D-line position coach specifically. Part of why he hasn't dominated teams is because he plays in the middle, and he has so little support around him. If you want to beat Chamberlain, have your 3 interior linemen block Hutmacher, and then run or pass to the outside: there isn't much there. One other thing with the coaching is that he's been at a small school while playing both ways, so there just isn't time to go into the level of technique that he'd have at any school with a full-time D-line coach where all he's working on is D-line technique. I'm not aware of him attending a lot of summer camps either because he's always wrestling, and you basically have a human wrecking machine who has not really had the time or opportunity to learn much technique. It makes it harder to evaluate him in that he's pretty much always a 2-gap player, meaning he's supposed to stand up the middle of the line (at least 2, often 3 blockers), so he doesn't really have either the training or the opportunity to show the ability to get much penetration.

I very much disagree about him having slow feet. I'm not sure what you were watching, but he has phenomenal/athletic feet for a lineman, let alone a 300+ lb lineman.

I'm hopeful that Chamberlain will be good enough to make the playoffs this year. I'd love to see them make it to the second round with a low seed so someone like Sioux Falls Christian or Thomas More--power football teams who haven't played him--would have to decide how to block him, and whether or not they could run at him. I'd say that it's a reasonable possibility that that happens, depending on who they'd draw for that 1st round game.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I'd add that I haven't seen any teams actually run at him since he was a freshman. I haven't seen any O-lineman handle him 1-on-1. I absolutely agree that Chamberlain has historically underperformed with lots of coaching turnover, but they have had some decent coaches recently, though I can't speak to his D-line position coach specifically. Part of why he hasn't dominated teams is because he plays in the middle, and he has so little support around him. If you want to beat Chamberlain, have your 3 interior linemen block Hutmacher, and then run or pass to the outside: there isn't much there. One other thing with the coaching is that he's been at a small school while playing both ways, so there just isn't time to go into the level of technique that he'd have at any school with a full-time D-line coach where all he's working on is D-line technique. I'm not aware of him attending a lot of summer camps either because he's always wrestling, and you basically have a human wrecking machine who has not really had the time or opportunity to learn much technique. It makes it harder to evaluate him in that he's pretty much always a 2-gap player, meaning he's supposed to stand up the middle of the line (at least 2, often 3 blockers), so he doesn't really have either the training or the opportunity to show the ability to get much penetration.

I very much disagree about him having slow feet. I'm not sure what you were watching, but he has phenomenal/athletic feet for a lineman, let alone a 300+ lb lineman.

I'm hopeful that Chamberlain will be good enough to make the playoffs this year. I'd love to see them make it to the second round with a low seed so someone like Sioux Falls Christian or Thomas More--power football teams who haven't played him--would have to decide how to block him, and whether or not they could run at him. I'd say that it's a reasonable possibility that that happens, depending on who they'd draw for that 1st round game.
So you both have better information due to your proximity to where he lives then the rest of us. Do you see him enrolling early? He’s got nothing left to prove at the state level in wrestling or track. I did watch all of his matches in freestyle and greco at Fargo. I could see him wanting to come back and give Fargo one last go. His loss in freestyle was no fluke. Nash went in for a good shot and got blocked, hooked, thrown and pinned. His greco loss is what would bother me if I was him. His opponent got the lead then basically spent 70 seconds engaging and running. That loss was his 15th or 16th match that week and by his Dad’s own admission Nash was tired.

Do you see him enrolling early?
No, he won't, and he's said so. He wants to win another state championship in wrestling, which will (presumably) be his last wrestling hurrah. He has the opportunity to do some things that nobody has ever done before: 4 state titles as a heavyweight, 4 years undefeated as a heavyweight, etc. I'd expect him to be enrolled in Lincoln in late May to start summer conditioning. I don't know about Fargo because training for that would interfere with his summer football work.

No, he won't, and he's said so. He wants to win another state championship in wrestling, which will (presumably) be his last wrestling hurrah. He has the opportunity to do some things that nobody has ever done before: 4 state titles as a heavyweight, 4 years undefeated as a heavyweight, etc. I'd expect him to be enrolled in Lincoln in late May to start summer conditioning. I don't know about Fargo because training for that would interfere with his summer football work.
Yup, he'd also have to keep his weight down to the Hwt. limit

If he enrolls in May then Fargo would be a no. As soon as high school season is over he can start packing on weight. For Fargo you 1st have to quality then you can go. They weigh in before each round so no cutting to make weight, weighing in and rehydrateing and eating. It’s a grueling tournament to qualify for and compete at. There are several “major national” high school wrestling tournaments a year but Fargo is different. It’s the closest thing to a National Championship in high school and youth wrestling there is.

If he enrolls in May then Fargo would be a no. As soon as high school season is over he can start packing on weight. For Fargo you 1st have to quality then you can go. They weigh in before each round so no cutting to make weight, weighing in and rehydrateing and eating. It’s a grueling tournament to qualify for and compete at. There are several “major national” high school wrestling tournaments a year but Fargo is different. It’s the closest thing to a National Championship in high school and youth wrestling there is.
I haven't heard anything, but I assume that the natural compromise that he would make is to wrestle in the spring, but to start doing S&C (his dad is an amateur guru) to get to game weight for football as soon as the last time he has to check his weight for the SD high school season. If he does that, he'll be a muscular 315-325 by graduation day in mid-May, and if he goes directly to Lincoln, he'll be pushing 330 lb of Duval-approved body mass by the start of fall camp. He would naturally weigh about 305, right now, if he wasn't always working to make weight for wrestling, and that's a relatively lean 305. He's just a walking mass of bone structure waiting to sculpt on more muscle.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back