• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star DT Nash Hutmacher Is N (Top 247)

That 1 match made Larry Owings a Jeopardy question. The USA could dominate wrestling world wide but youth, high school and collegiate wrestlers have to spend 1/2 their year focusing on Folkstyle wrestling.

It’s a screwed up system, and too bad.

Gable didn’t lose because he got caught in a bad move - just outwrestled in that match.
Gable showed up flat and got beat and he’d tell anyone that to this day. Wrestling IMO is the greatest sport there is. It’s one on one and there’s no one to blame but yourself if you lose. Yes there are people who will always cry about the refs, any wrestling coach worth a damn tells their wrestlers to approach the 1st whistle like they are already down 3-0 due to the refs.

Gable showed up flat and got beat and he’d tell anyone that to this day. Wrestling IMO is the greatest sport there is. It’s one on one and there’s no one to blame but yourself if you lose. Yes there are people who will always cry about the refs, any wrestling coach worth a damn tells their wrestlers to approach the 1st whistle like they are already down 3-0 due to the refs.
In all my years being involved with wrestling I only saw one ref truly make a real difference in the match. Not to say that there have not been bad calls but It usually only made the difference of a point or two. State tourney 1981. The early rounds they had like 8 or 12 mats on the floor of the Bob. The end ones were right up on the wall. My friend got caught and turned to his back. He was ahead at the time. he was starting to roll to his stomach and the other guy literally climbed the wall with his feet to increase the weight and pressure. on my friend so he could not turn back to his stomach. The ref was so focused on the shoulders he never looked up and saw the feet three feet up on the wall.

If I was that kids coach I would have thrown the damn towel roll so hard at that ref it would have knocked him over.

Wrong match to come out flat in. Either way, I just wanted to point out Owings didn’t catch Gable. He just plain beat him. Wrestling is as much psychological as it is physical and, at high levels, you don’t win when you forget to bring one or the other.

In all my years being involved with wrestling I only saw one ref truly make a real difference in the match. Not to say that there have not been bad calls but It usually only made the difference of a point or two. State tourney 1981. The early rounds they had like 8 or 12 mats on the floor of the Bob. The end ones were right up on the wall. My friend got caught and turned to his back. He was ahead at the time. he was starting to roll to his stomach and the other guy literally climbed the wall with his feet to increase the weight and pressure. on my friend so he could not turn back to his stomach. The ref was so focused on the shoulders he never looked up and saw the feet three feet up on the wall.
the officiating gets better the higher the level. Our coach still always told us that same line. He even dropped that line continually on the Paulson twins who went to Iowa State and both became All Americans and one of them a National Champ. Massey, our high school coach who now runs the largest youth club in SWI, continued to coach those guys in Freestyle all the way to World’s and the Olympic trials.

I would argue that track and field is a little better than wrestling. Here is the start there is the finish, no refs either you win or you lose. That being said I love wrestling as well and your point is valid. I don't go to college wrestling but I do go to High School, I have yet to hear a parent blame a ref, does it happen sure, but I haven't heard it.

he surely didnt exprect to lose in the first round.... kudos to him for doubling down on his determination, and sweeping the rest of his matches..... he didnt quit, he stuck with it.... that tells us something about this young man..... that wont be the last "loss" he has in his life, love his effort and attitude.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back