• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* DT Logan Jones from Iowa

I get less twisted about kids who are from Iowa who go on to do something good at Iowa than kids from Nebraska who go to Iowa or elsewhere and become draft picks. That twist is difficult to recover from.

I think height is a real issue. But sometimes that means grades but I wouldn’t assume that as he still has 3 semesters to get it corrected. Just something to think about. I believe teams like Penn State had been to Lewis Central and he doesn’t have an offer from them either.

Now, I’m not saying we shouldn’t offer, I probably would but don’t get paid 5 million a year. But seems like there’s more at play than just us looking at a four star who wanted to come here we didn’t offer.
You’re probably on to something with the height argument. It’s definitely not a grades issue, he’s on the honor roll. A ton of big programs stopped by LC last spring but they were still after Max Duggan. They’re all starting to swing through again looking at Logan but from what I hear he’s firm with his Iowa commitment. For me missing out on a chance at a SWI kid is almost as bad as missing out on a Omaha kid. We’re in the Nebraska media market, 60 miles from campus. Eastern Iowa might as well be a different state.

You’re probably on to something with the height argument. It’s definitely not a grades issue, he’s on the honor roll. A ton of big programs stopped by LC last spring but they were still after Max Duggan. They’re all starting to swing through again looking at Logan but from what I hear he’s firm with his Iowa commitment. For me missing out on a chance at a SWI kid is almost as bad as missing out on a Omaha kid. We’re in the Nebraska media market, 60 miles from campus. Eastern Iowa might as well be a different state.
I'm with you that i'm most likely offering him. For all the talk about "holding offers for the 2020 class" that there was (that I don't think we did), if I was going to do that I would have gave this kid an offer over Banks on the DL considering BB is a developmental guy that will need a year or two. Logan is also a ocal kid with more offers to play the DL than Banks. Lewis Central is absolutely our backyard. Frost may be able to play this right with the "we wanted to get a DL coach first then have him offer you" but as you said it may be too little too late.

I don't know enough about the situation to comment too much on it. If it's a kid from Omaha people are losing their poop right now. Since he's 5 miles east no one is really talking about it.

I agree with most of your premise in this thread that we should treat Western Iowa as an extension of Nebraska for recruiting, but it seems too early in the recruiting cycle for a kid, especially a Husker fan, to be offended about not having an offer yet. Come to junior day and earn one in front of the coaches.
That’s also a legit post. My thing is if this kid is in Omaha and Iowa offers before us, we are pretty pissed at the staff. But February of his junior year is real early, especially if our staff is trying to project height.

Bottom line for me is if it’s a kid you end up wanting, I don’t care if Minnesota or Iowa St offer before you. But if Iowa offers before you on a kid you want and you are closer in proximity to, that’s an issue. So far it appears we are going a different direction so tough for me to be mad at the staff if it’s not someone they feel they want.

Last edited:
6'3" jr might be a bit of an overstatement on this all being a height issue. Hard to not think that a kid who is 6'3 as a junior in high school doesn't stand a chance at 6'5".

Last edited:
He seems small for a DT in a 3-4 system at 6'3" 255. By comparison, Nash Hutmacher is 6'5" 285 already. My guess is that played a part in not receiving an offer and I'm sure they feel like they're in a pretty good place with Nash already. I wouldn't rule out him getting an offer down the road especially given proximity but this may just be a case of not being the ideal fit.

This sounds like the Drew Ott conversation. I haven't seen the kid play either, but we get so caught up in height and weight. If he can play, he can play. Would you take Bruce Chubick over Brady Heiman? Brady Heiman is 6'11", Chubick was maybe 6'5". Trev Alberts was kind of small as well and turned out pretty good

That’s also a legit post. My thing is if this kid is in Omaha and Iowa offers before us, we are pretty pissed at the staff. But February of his junior year is real early, especially if our staff is trying to project height.

Bottom line for me is if it’s a kid you end up wanting, I don’t care if Minnesota or Iowa St offer before you. But if Iowa offers before you on a kid you want and you are closer in proximity to, that’s an issue. So far it appears we are going a different direction so tough for me to be mad at the staff if it’s not someone they feel they want.

The reason for the angst: Harrison Phillips, the lineman from Lincoln that went to Wisky, Drew Ott, Bazatta. Granted they were not under Frost's watch, but they still inger in our memory of kids who should have been offered or offered earlier.

This sounds like the Drew Ott conversation. I haven't seen the kid play either, but we get so caught up in height and weight. If he can play, he can play. Would you take Bruce Chubick over Brady Heiman? Brady Heiman is 6'11", Chubick was maybe 6'5". Trev Alberts was kind of small as well and turned out pretty good

Not saying it's the right call was just trying to apply reason to their decision.

I think we are all saying the same thing overall. Its a bitter ill to swallow if you didn't even put in the effort to recruit him. Even if hes not the best fit.... he is close enough to spit, you better be right, or you will hear about it. And to be fair, Frost is going to make some mistakes here and there, it can't be helped. but this, at least on the surface, seems a bit glaring.

I think we are all saying the same thing overall. Its a bitter ill to swallow if you didn't even put in the effort to recruit him. Even if hes not the best fit.... he is close enough to spit, you better be right, or you will hear about it. And to be fair, Frost is going to make some mistakes here and there, it can't be helped. but this, at least on the surface, seems a bit glaring.

Would you take Bruce Chubick over Brady Heiman? Brady Heiman is 6'11", Chubick was maybe 6'5".
After much deliberation in consideration of your query, I have arrived at my decision....

I'm taking Eric Piatkowski!...

eric%2008.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back