• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 3-star DE Tate Wildeman is N (Iowa Legacy Recruit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

One thing I like is that if they get him on campus and he moves well enough he could play the "Cat" OLB position. If they think he'd make a better End, he shouldn't have any problem bulking up 40 lbs with that frame over a couple years.

THey are talking about him playing as a down linemen on 1st and 2nd down and OLB on 3rd down. Not many are versatile that way

With only 4-5 spots allocated for the OLB/DE position this class, I'm a bit surprised by the staff accepting his commitment this early. I think this was a Diaco decision with the family history, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

He's a fine looking prospect, just not as good as several guys the Huskers are looking. JMPO.

I had the same thought.

I hope people don't think I dislike Wildeman as a prospect. I don't. With the spirit of the NFL Draft coming this week, I will compare my reasoning to that...

Nebraska taking Wildeman before they know if they have realistic chances at Culpepper and Bynum is like taking a 3rd round talent with your 2nd round pick.

Heck, I'll compare it to a more likely scenario in this situation. Wildeman was likely higher on their board than mine. Just like the NFL Draft will show us this Thursday, teams have different rankings for different players. I simply (probably) have a higher grade on Bynum and Culpepper than Wildeman and the coaches do not.
I have seen very few posters on this site that do not respect your opinions about recruiting or rating of players. Count me among those. I seek out your posts because I know I will get unbiased info on anything you share with us here.

The only point that I want to make about your comments (and I am not knowledgeable enough about recruiting overall to make an intelligent assessment of the kid) is simply that this thread is the kid's commitment thread. It is usually a congratulatory thread that has positive comments from all of us who are really excited about his joining OUR team. I don't think I have seen a post in any one of our commits so far that points out players that would be better for NU and that the coaches may have made a mistake in this kids recruitment. There is a time and a place for those comments but this is the wrong place for it, JMPO.

Incidentally, congratulations Tate! Glad to have you aboard and I hope you have a great career here at NU!

Last edited:

With only 4-5 spots allocated for the OLB/DE position this class, I'm a bit surprised by the staff accepting his commitment this early. I think this was a Diaco decision with the family history, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

He's a fine looking prospect, just not as good as several guys the Huskers are looking. JMPO.
Okay, so the question is whether we trust the coaches (Parella) to be able to evaluate a player to whom they offer a scholarship.

I hope people don't think I dislike Wildeman as a prospect. I don't. With the spirit of the NFL Draft coming this week, I will compare my reasoning to that...

Nebraska taking Wildeman before they know if they have realistic chances at Culpepper and Bynum is like taking a 3rd round talent with your 2nd round pick.

Heck, I'll compare it to a more likely scenario in this situation. Wildeman was likely higher on their board than mine. Just like the NFL Draft will show us this Thursday, teams have different rankings for different players. I simply (probably) have a higher grade on Bynum and Culpepper than Wildeman and the coaches do not.

There's no place for reasoned discussion on this board. OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!

I have seen very few posters on this site that do not respect your opinions about recruiting or rating of players. Count me among those. I seek out your posts because I know I will get unbiased info on anything you share with us here.

The only point that I want to make about your comments (and I am not knowledgeable enough about recruiting overall to make an intelligent assessment of the kid) is simply that this thread is the kid's commitment thread. It is usually a congratulatory thread that has positive comments from all of us who are really excited about his joining OUR team. I don't think I have seen a post in any one of our commits so far that points out players that would be better for NU and that the coaches may have made a mistake in this kids recruitment. There is a time and a place for those comments but this is the wrong place for it, JMPO.

Incidentally, congratulations Tate! Glad to have you aboard and I hope you have a great career here at NU!

While I see where you're coming from, I actually appreciated the post by @N2FL. I think the congratulations posters' provide for new signees is awesome and I encourage it, but what good is 5 pages of the same thing? He was very respectful in the way he worded it, and wasn't just throwing his hands in the air upset over a us signing a 3-star guy early. In fact, I would argue his post was more about the highly-rated talent we are in on and our coaches strategy, more than it was of Tate and his ability. We are in on some big fish and only a couple spots.

Yes, recruits may read these boards and we should always be conscious of that, but that's not the board's purpose.

I agree there is a time and a place, but it felt timely and well-crafted for this time and place.

I too welcome Tate and trust the evaluations of our coaches. A good work ethic and football instincts/IQ can go a long way. Welcome aboard, kid.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back