• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

282 out of 295 Div 1 Pass Blocking

juju

The future starts now.
5 Year Member

A few very eye opening stats. Run blocking would have been much worse without 2AM escapability which is borderline elite. We didn't have a 500 yard running backm

Can you imagine if we had Gebbia or POB behind the lines the last few years?

We can't do beanpole QBs and we can't do non mobile QBs. Gebbia would have got broke in half in the B1G.

Raiola is going to have his work cut out for him. Hope Teddy P. comes back healthy and maybe TC or Ezra Miller or someone else can become serviceable at RT.

Offering 6'2" 170 QBs is kind of a head scratcher for me.

I don't care who you put in at QB, when you are 282 out of 295 they are going to be running for their life. 2AM and his escapability were probably best case scenario. Who in D1 could have done much better behind that line? They likely would have taken more sacks and had similar interceptions or worse.

2AM saved our butts so many times running for first downs Just making something out of nothing.

I will never understand people bagging on 2AM when he rarely had a "clean" pocket for more than 1.75 seconds. Proof is in the pass block grades. Austin should have been fired with Walter's early on. Tough decision when he was a former player, but when a dog can't hunt, time to get another.

A good GA could make a big difference helping Raiola.

A few very eye opening stats. Run blocking would have been much worse without 2AM escapability which is borderline elite. We didn't have a 500 yard running backm

We can't do beanpole QBs and we can't do non mobile QBs. Gebbia would have got broke in half in the B1G.

Raiola is going to have his work cut out for him. Hope Teddy P. comes back healthy and maybe TC or Ezra Miller or someone else can become serviceable at RT.

I don't care who you put in at QB, when you are 282 out of 295 they are going to be running for their life. 2AM and his escapability were probably best case scenario. Who in D1 could have done much better behind that line? They likely would have taken more sacks and had similar interceptions or worse.

2AM saved our butts so many times running for first downs Just making something out of nothing.

I will never understand people bagging on 2AM when he rarely had a "clean" pocket for more than 1.75 seconds. Proof is in the pass block grades. Austin should have been fired with Walter's early on. Tough decision when he was a former player, but when a dog can't hunt, time to get another.

I'm gong to both agree and disagree. I agree, our pass blocking was not good. At all. It was AWFUL. AM absolutely made plays with his feet and dodged rushers better than any Husker QB I can remember. It was an elite skill and it often saved the offense's bacon. I still maintain, warts and all, that AM is our best QB in the past decade and KSU got a baller.

However, I'm going to going to disagree with the assessment as to what we need in a QB. Yes, POB or Gebbia wouldn't have been able make guys miss like AM, but they may have been better at progressing through reads and getting the ball out quickly/on time. AM's best skill throwing the ball was deep down the middle. He wasn't good at quick, timing routes, and he couldn't throw a swing pass to save his life; the ball was either under thrown or thrown behind the guy (how many times did it end up as a backward pass?). This killed any hope we'd have at running a screen/check down game. After struggling with it for three season we finally dropped it from the O this year - AM couldn't do it. Perhaps a QB better able to execute these short, timing throws (getting the ball out in 1.5 seconds) would have been more beneficial than a guy capable of avoiding the rush?

As for the guy they just offered - he's a HS Jr, 16 or 17 years old. Yes, he's physically immature now, but I guarantee he won't be that skinny by the time he hits a college campus. He may never be a tank, but a 6'3, 210 pound guy can absolutely succeeded.

Last edited:
Nowhere to go but up, one would hope. Hoping between Raiola, Whipple and some new faces that there are changes to scheme and personnel that lead to improved line play. Whatever it was Austin and Lubick were doing wasn't working at all.

It was like the chicken and egg theory. The line caused some of the qb issues, and the qb caused some of the line issues. And play calls put both at a disadvantage at times. That is why getting this team back on track is a tough job. It can't be pinned on just one thing!

Start ripping off some decent yds in the ground game and it would SLOW DOWN a D's pass rush. If CT (probable starter) is a quick study with an accurate arm it will really help our O-line in many different areas of blocking imo. Since AM is gone I'm not going to defend nor attack his QB skills anymore. Hope he has a great season at KSU and hope our starting QB has a better one.

Just another Person trying to sell how hate am was. It’s ok he’s gone for the better if you ask me. But now you don’t have to worry about someone blaming your daddy am.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back