• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

27 points (total) in the last three games

So, only at Nebraska do the recruiting rankings miss? I don’t buy that either. It’s virtually impossible for all of Nebraska’s players to not be as good as advertised. Coaching has to come in somewhere.
Just saw an article that Nebraska is dead last in the Big 10 with NFL draft picks in the past 3 years. Both of those were 5th and 6th rounders. We have a talent deficiency... and it is a big time deficiency.

imo......We have recruits coming out of high school that other "Blue bloods" covet.
We get a few......and 4 years later they are non draftable.
Other blue bloods get their high school teammates.....and 4 years later they are 1st and 2nd rounders.

Seems to be imo..a developmental problem?

Just saw an article that Nebraska is dead last in the Big 10 with NFL draft picks in the past 3 years. Both of those were 5th and 6th rounders. We have a talent deficiency... and it is a big time deficiency.
Or we have a serious development problem. If Nebraska got Alabama's players would we still put them into the NFL at the same rate? To me that is the million dollar question. You can fix talent with recruiting-how do you fix development? Good coaching and time.

Or we have a serious development problem. If Nebraska got Alabama's players would we still put them into the NFL at the same rate? To me that is the million dollar question. You can fix talent with recruiting-how do you fix development? Good coaching and time.
Good coaching certainly helps... but talent is still the #1 ingredient. I know Nebraska will rarely, if ever, have a top 5 recruiting class. However, we need to figure out how to get a handful of elite players here soon or we're stuck where we are for many years to come.

Good coaching certainly helps... but talent is still the #1 ingredient. I know Nebraska will rarely, if ever, have a top 5 recruiting class. However, we need to figure out how to get a handful of elite players here soon or we're stuck where we are for many years to come.

Year (Rank) = 4 star recruits
2019 (#18) = 8 [Henrich, Ty Robinson, Benhart, W. Robinson, McCaffrey, Noa Pola-Gates, Darrion Daniels –transfer, Green]

They're coming. Patience is necessary.

Year (Rank) = 4 star recruits
2019 (#18) = 8 [Henrich, Ty Robinson, Benhart, W. Robinson, McCaffrey, Noa Pola-Gates, Darrion Daniels –transfer, Green]

They're coming. Patience is necessary.
I'd like to see them start playing some of these guys. I think they've waited a little too long on a few of them, but sounds like they are preserving red shirts. I guess my theory is that if you have talent, play it... don't wait for it. Who knows what might happen in the next 4 years.

Not sure who is going to score when the plan is to run Washington up the middle, Robinson goes out of the game, and JD mysteriously decides to stop running to the end zone and reverses course. And on the plays we nearly scored, we had terrible penalties.

Vedral played pretty well, I thought, considering it was his first start on the road and in bad weather. But every time he got the offense down to threaten, he either got sacked or there were bad penalties that brought back big plays or killed drives. Doesn't help when your defense basically spots the other team 21 points by the time the 3rd qtr is 2 minutes old and then their D can tee off.
I've been mystified why Frost runs little or slight built guys up the middle. Washington and Robinson. I'd think that would be Mills territory.

I've been mystified why Frost runs little or slight built guys up the middle. Washington and Robinson. I'd think that would be Mills territory.

If you always run outside with Washington and Robinson and always run inside with Mills you make the opposing defensive coordinator's job easier. All they have to do look at who the back is and they can eliminate part of the guess work.

Robinson runs between the tackles well (he is small, but he can be effective).

Washington should never carry the ball between the tackles. I don't understand that at all. He's a one trick pony at this point.

If you always run outside with Washington and Robinson and always run inside with Mills you make the opposing defensive coordinator's job easier. All they have to do look at who the back is and they can eliminate part of the guess work.
Or it makes your play-action all the more better. I've always sold a tendency for the other guy to 'see' knowing full well what I'm hoping to do when he makes his adjustment. Football is a check match, so you can anticipate moves. Are we doing that? Right now, not so much. The defensive side of the ball is getting leaned on way too much. We've had half a season to get the offense some momentum and so far we've seen just the opposite out of the defense. Hopefully the break gives them time to regroup mentally and physically.

Washington should never carry the ball between the tackles. I don't understand that at all. He's a one trick pony at this point.
Totally agree with your sentiment. NU can’t play in the B1G with their best players so slight of frame. MW, Wandale and Spielman have all been dinged up with just a 1/2 season completed. NU paid the price with Wandale’s injury as I mentioned as a likelihood last week. Change of pace or picking your spots on matchups with the speedsters is great. Bell cows, not so much.

Last edited:

I'd like to see him used like Burkhead where he can get lost in the traffic hiding behind a flow of pulling linemen. Dallas used to run Emmitt, who we all remember as a powerful guy but in reality was also short, behind a wall of people in a sort of Counter Trey style. Normally in Counter Trey the tailback starts his way to the backside in an effort to allow the backside guard-tackle duo to pull as lead blockers to the playside, then the tailback follows. The fullback would cut off anyone trying to follow the pulling tackle. Dallas instead left that tackle and pulled both guards. Like Counter Trey, the Dallas Buck was tailback and fullback move to the backside to allow the pulling guards a chance to get out in front, then the fullback led the tailback to the playside. The wall of blockers helps the short tailback get lost in traffic. You can also do it similarly with a toss play behind pulling lineman, only the tailback has to look for a cutback lane if he overruns the linemen, because it lags a little behind him most of the time. We've also used a naked bootleg action to set up a flanker sweep back across the grain of the bootleg to get those smaller guys loose in space. You have to be creative when QBs have difficulty throwing the ball to them.
CornhuskerinWI said:
That decisive run early season by Washington was brilliant. But ever since he's been hesitant to get to the sideline. The guy could get loose on the sideline if he'd just commit. But now that he is dancing most of the time, it's hard to say he's a one-trick pony. He isn't really finding success unless he reverses course altogether. I fear in time teams will anticipate his cutback and crack him a good one as he hesitates. That could get him hurt. But if he could be decisive again getting to that sideline, it opens up a whole can of worms for a defense. It is something the offense can build misdirection off of and all sorts of offshoots.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back