• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

247 Sports Ranks the Top 25 College Football Jobs (Nebraska made the cut)

Um no, you can't get them for free. You don't have to pay at all.

You're making it sound like you don't like paying the market price for things so you're mad the market is paying Frost market value.
I get what you’re saying. No I don’t like paying what we pay. I don’t like the cost of anything though. I’m turning in to get off my lawn guy.

Yeah but if Scott Frost can’t make it here will never get a coach worth a damn. Sarcasm
Lol this 100%. So tired of hearing folks say that. The reason we haven’t done well is leadership hasn’t made good choices on hires…period. I’m not being really hard on them, just stating a fact. It’s tough to hire the “right” person. Anytime I hire a person it’s a crap shoot best case scenario. Anyone that says different just isn’t being honest.

Lol I'm NOT trying to be communist in my thinking. Go ahead and get 5 million. If universities are stupid enough to pay it, go for it.
In most cases, they're not stupid for paying it. They're actually pretty smart to pay it. It pales in comparison to the profitable revenues they bring in because they pay their coach that much. Even Frost, making 5 mill/year, while producing losing records, is making UNL a boatload of money.

In most cases, they're not stupid for paying it. They're actually pretty smart to pay it. It pales in comparison to the profitable revenues they bring in because they pay their coach that much. Even Frost, making 5 mill/year, while producing losing records, is making UNL a boatload of money.

I'm not speaking about Frost at all. I love the guy. It was just a moment of clarity on the backwardness of the world in general.

I once asked my teacher when I was very young why pop musicians make sooooo much money compared to classical musicians and why do people like it so much? His response was, "idk, why do people eat McDonald's?" LOL

Interesting, not bad, but I see what I think is recency bias...

Is Clemson really a better job than Texas? Texas A&M? Is LSU better than those two? I think it arguable that Clemson is better than LSU; yet I think it might be (lead dog in home state vs. only dog in home state; ACC vs SEC have their trade offs, too).

That LSU wandered in the wilderness for decades is testament that it is a very good job. Clemson has had generally good years but was not anywhere near top dog for a vast many; yeah a good job, but as good as LSU? And is LSU really a better job than those two Texas schools?

Clemson is where it is because of Swinney... Will mama call Swinney home? Would he go?

Last edited:
Interesting, not bad, but I see what I think is recency bias...

Is Clemson really a better job than Texas? Texas A&M? Is LSU better than those two? I think it arguable that Clemson is better than LSU; yet I think it might be (lead dog in home state vs. only dog in home state; ACC vs SEC have their trade offs, too).

That LSU wandered in the wilderness for decades is testament that it is a very good job. Clemson has had generally good years but was not anywhere near top dog for a vast many; yeah a good job, but as good as LSU? And is LSU really a better job than those two Texas schools?

Clemson is where it is because of Swinney... Will mama call Swinney home? Would he go?
TN has very little going for it IMO. The coaching search is always taken over by the fans/boosters and it's public. They pay well which is key and I'm sure their facilities are nice as well.

NC? I just don't see it.

OSU should be #1. Alabama is a great coaching spot but after Saban leaves (if Swinney doesn't take it) they will likely wander aimlessly again. Two big schools in the state vying for the same talent.

I'm getting slightly tired of these articles for at least a couple reasons.

1. 5 million is a ridiculous fortune that no football coach ever should get.

2. 5 million is a ridiculous fortune that any football coach should be grateful to get.

3. There are ALWAYS younger, unknown, enthusiastic brilliant coaches that are always going to be around.

4. No matter how well you coach, always someone can coach better.

It's crazy to me that we lament a 5 freaking million dollar job as some despicable thing that no "great" football coach would ever stoop down to. What a joke. There is absolutely not one reason to think coaching at nebraska isn't a great job. We always act like football requires some kind of genius IQ. Ummm... it is football. And great leaders and players can be found. It's a big country. Lots of people. This isn't rocket science. Oh, wait. Rocket scientists don't get paid 5 million a year. Football takes itself WAYYY too seriously. I'll be the first to admit that I am one. Lol
The money from the ticket sales, seat licenses, and TV contracts is there. People are willing to pay, so the conference/school keeps charging. The money has to go somewhere, so it goes to ridiculous coach contracts, ridiculous administration contracts, and ridiculous facilities.

This is why I have no issue with paying players.

My personal top 5 (I know you all are begging for it)

#1. OSU - the state's clear top dog in a good recruiting region. Passionate fans. Administration able to keep the boosters/fans in line. As long as Gene Smith is there they will be #1.
#2. Bama - Great tradition, great recruiting area, passionate fans that will do anything for the team. When they have a strong coach they are #1. Without that strong coach the boosters/fans run amok and sabotage the program
#3 Texas - Best state for recruiting in the country, clear #1 in that state. With fan/booster support money and facilities is never an option. Should be #1 - but for some reason they've never had sustained greatness. Why? Hubris?
#4. USC - the clear top dog in the union's most populous state, conference they should dominate. Would be #1 if not for a somewhat disinterested fan base.
#5. Oklahoma - Tradition, passionate fans that don't seem to negatively impact the program the way they do in most of the SEC. A tradition of having great coaches - Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops, and now Riley. They face more challenges in recruiting than the others, holding them down.

Next group (in no order)

Georgia
LSU
Florida and Florida State (the Miami fan base makes USC look rabid, holding them down)
Clemson
Penn State
Michigan

My personal top 5 (I know you all are begging for it)

#1. OSU - the state's clear top dog in a good recruiting region. Passionate fans. Administration able to keep the boosters/fans in line. As long as Gene Smith is there they will be #1.
#2. Bama - Great tradition, great recruiting area, passionate fans that will do anything for the team. When they have a strong coach they are #1. Without that strong coach the boosters/fans run amok and sabotage the program
#3 Texas - Best state for recruiting in the country, clear #1 in that state. With fan/booster support money and facilities is never an option. Should be #1 - but for some reason they've never had sustained greatness. Why? Hubris?
#4. USC - the clear top dog in the union's most populous state, conference they should dominate. Would be #1 if not for a somewhat disinterested fan base.
#5. Oklahoma - Tradition, passionate fans that don't seem to negatively impact the program the way they do in most of the SEC. A tradition of having great coaches - Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops, and now Riley. They face more challenges in recruiting than the others, holding them down.

Next group (in no order)

Georgia
LSU
Florida and Florida State (the Miami fan base makes USC look rabid, holding them down)
Clemson
Penn State
Michigan
Not sure I’d put USC in top five. Private school. Pacific time zone…. Competition from pro-football for attention (again). And primarily there are vastly better things to do in SoCal on autumn afternoons. I recall staying over on a business trip in Manhattan Beach. We went to a bar for lunch and a UCLA game was on the TV and I thought oh yeah, it’s Saturday. I’m not sure if I’d even watch the Huskers (although I did do so in Santa Barbara, once).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back