• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

247 Sports Ranks the Top 25 College Football Jobs (Nebraska made the cut)

Not sure I’d put USC in top five. Private school. Pacific time zone…. Competition from pro-football for attention (again). And primarily there are vastly better things to do in SoCal on autumn afternoons. I recall staying over on a business trip in Manhattan Beach. We went to a bar for lunch and a UCLA game was on the TV and I thought oh yeah, it’s Saturday. I’m not sure if I’d even watch the Huskers (although I did do so in Santa Barbara, once).

I lived in Philadelphia for 12 years. I was much more likely to see a Big 12 game on TV than the Pac10/12.

When it comes to college sports, the West Coast may as well be its own country. It's just too far removed from the bulk of the U.S. population, which functions in either the Central or East time zones.

I also lived in Southern California for 3-4 years. It's just not a rabid sports region (as you say, too many other forms of entertainment). There's lots of people and lots of money -- thus sports exist. But the majority of fan bases only care if they are winning. Otherwise, there's better options to spend time. USC wouldn't even be considered if not for the 4-5 years under Pete Carroll which brought them national attention that they hadn't seen since the 70s/early-80s.

Not sure I’d put USC in top five. Private school. Pacific time zone…. Competition from pro-football for attention (again). And primarily there are vastly better things to do in SoCal on autumn afternoons. I recall staying over on a business trip in Manhattan Beach. We went to a bar for lunch and a UCLA game was on the TV and I thought oh yeah, it’s Saturday. I’m not sure if I’d even watch the Huskers (although I did do so in Santa Barbara, once).
I'll agree with everything you say, but I'm going to keep them in the top 5. Although their fan base is extremely "fair-weather", they still never hurt for money, they just privately funded $315 mill in stadium upgrades. If they were getting dusted in facilities or coaches compensation like Miami, I'd knock them down. But for me, I'd rather coach at USC with all those advantages than at Oklahoma where I'm recruiting against Texas, A&M, & LSU, all why hoping my boosters aren't breaking the rules.

I lived in Philadelphia for 12 years. I was much more likely to see a Big 12 game on TV than the Pac10/12.

When it comes to college sports, the West Coast may as well be its own country. It's just too far removed from the bulk of the U.S. population, which functions in either the Central or East time zones.

I also lived in Southern California for 3-4 years. It's just not a rabid sports region (as you say, too many other forms of entertainment). There's lots of people and lots of money -- thus sports exist. But the majority of fan bases only care if they are winning. Otherwise, there's better options to spend time. USC wouldn't even be considered if not for the 4-5 years under Pete Carroll which brought them national attention that they hadn't seen since the 70s/early-80s.
But the Fullerton Husker sports bar in '95 was HOPPIN'!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back