• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

22 Magnum

My first gun I got for Christmas, a bolt action tube feed Marlin Magnum. Great little gun! The quality has gone down after they were bought out, but the older models are amazing guns, and the magnum shot next to a regular .22 sounds like a cannon comparatively. Nice find!

Update. My work is certainly B- at best. First pic is approx representation of gun appearance. Second is refinished. Sanded down, 3 coats of finish oil. Re-blued barrel. New 3x9 scope. Screenshot 2022-06-29 115403.png289039139_403120048438722_2243643361083841686_n.jpg

Last edited:

I have a .22 magnum single shot Ruger hand gun. Bought it in 1988.

Smoothest gun I have ever shot.

Really like it.

Reactions: RMR
Just picked up an older (1985) Marlin .22 Mag rifle. Wife's aging patient had it in a closet and wanted it gone. Came with a cheaper 3x9 Bushnell scope. Could use some TLC. Love the mini magazine feed and got it dialed in at 50yds. Now the hunt for ammo.......... Fun plinker.
I like the .22 Mag, I also have a 17 HMR and feel it is a step above...

You did a great job on that stock!

Reactions: RMR
I'm in the market for a .22 magnum pistol. I'd like something with a threaded barrel for a suppressor, and I'd like it to be optics ready. I'd assumed that the Kel Tec PMR 30 would be the best option (possibly only option), but it sells for nearly $500, which is a bit steep. Now Heritage Arms has come out with their Tactical Cowboy revolver, which can be picked up for under $200 if you look around.

I'm open to any other suggestions, but I'm not aware of any other 22 WMR auto pistols.

I'm in the market for a .22 magnum pistol. I'd like something with a threaded barrel for a suppressor, and I'd like it to be optics ready. I'd assumed that the Kel Tec PMR 30 would be the best option (possibly only option), but it sells for nearly $500, which is a bit steep. Now Heritage Arms has come out with their Tactical Cowboy revolver, which can be picked up for under $200 if you look around.

I'm open to any other suggestions, but I'm not aware of any other 22 WMR auto pistols.
Why the 22 mag as a choice for your pistol? Just curious. If you wanted a small caliber there is the .32 and even the .38. Might be easier to find, but can't say for sure these days.

22 Magnum is a pretty good cartridge, ballistically. It has much greater penetration than a 22 LR, and it's much cheaper than the centerfire alternatives. It also helps that the ammo is pretty much ubiquitous, even during the 2020 ammo shortages.

If you want to kill something with a 22 LR, the 22 Mag will do it better. I know people who use it for PC even. People who fear recoil can handle the 22 Mag, yet it still has decent penetration.

22 Magnum is a pretty good cartridge, ballistically. It has much greater penetration than a 22 LR, and it's much cheaper than the centerfire alternatives. It also helps that the ammo is pretty much ubiquitous, even during the 2020 ammo shortages.

If you want to kill something with a 22 LR, the 22 Mag will do it better. I know people who use it for PC even. People who fear recoil can handle the 22 Mag, yet it still has decent penetration.

Oh the Out of Context possibilities...... :)

Just picked up an older (1985) Marlin .22 Mag rifle. Wife's aging patient had it in a closet and wanted it gone. Came with a cheaper 3x9 Bushnell scope. Could use some TLC. Love the mini magazine feed and got it dialed in at 50yds. Now the hunt for ammo.......... Fun plinker.
My father passed on to my brother a .22 that was designed as a training platform for the M-14 in weight and operation. Impressive looking hardware with an anticlimactic result.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back