• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2023 Season Expectations

I expect big improvements this coming weekend. Because in 2 weeks we are playing with the big dogs of the NCAA

I’m an MLB guy not a college baseball guy. I do follow the team a little and watch when I can. I haven’t been all that impressed with Bolt. I am not impressed with some of the skills, specifically hit tools, of many the players he has recruited. I also don’t like some of the pitchers he has recruited, seems to be too focused on upside. It’s not MiLB where you have different levels kids can work out kinks while developing. It’s okay to have some of those guys, but you need kids to come in and be productive college players quickly. Not in three years. There’s no time to teach inaccurate pitchers to throw strikes. There’s no mound time here for players to work through it.

Given that Bolt has had a Big 10 championship already, I’m willing to give him some more time. Last time I checked that’s more than our other major men’s teams are doing. So what if it was with Erstad’s players? I watch his teams with many of the same players sputter around like a bunch of wounded ducks. I’ll have more of an opinion on Bolt after this season. However, color me unimpressed the last year or so.

I’m an MLB guy not a college baseball guy. I do follow the team a little and watch when I can. I haven’t been all that impressed with Bolt. I am not impressed with some of the skills, specifically hit tools, of many the players he has recruited. I also don’t like some of the pitchers he has recruited, seems to be too focused on upside. It’s not MiLB where you have different levels kids can work out kinks while developing. It’s okay to have some of those guys, but you need kids to come in and be productive college players quickly. Not in three years. There’s no time to teach inaccurate pitchers to throw strikes. There’s no mound time here for players to work through it.

So you barely pay attention, but are able to break down hitting, pitching & recruiting. I'm all for people sharing their opinions, and welcome more of it, but this place is quickly turning in to FB type posts.

Sorry for harshness.

So you barely pay attention, but are able to break down hitting, pitching & recruiting. I'm all for people sharing their opinions, and welcome more of it, but this place is quickly turning in to FB type posts.

Sorry for harshness.
That’s fair. I probably don’t watch Nebraska or college nearly as much that you do. Like I said, I’m a huge MLB guy. I probably watch around 300 MLB games a year. I played baseball for many years and I have coached a lot of ball as well. I have been around the game enough to offer some fairly good insight. But, to your point, I only watch a handful of Nebraska games a year. My comments are based on what I have seen in that snapshot and based on some of the players he’s recruited that I have watched play over the years.

I very well might be wrong, but I wouldn’t discount everything I’ve said just yet. Hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

That’s fair. I probably don’t watch Nebraska or college nearly as much that you do. Like I said, I’m a huge MLB guy. I probably watch around 300 MLB games a year. I played baseball for many years and I have coached a lot of ball as well. I have been around the game enough to offer some fairly good insight. But, to your point, I only watch a handful of Nebraska games a year. My comments are based on what I have seen in that snapshot and based on some of the players he’s recruited that I have watched play over the years.

I very well might be wrong, but I wouldn’t discount everything I’ve said just yet. Hope I’m wrong.
And your 8 favorites to play this year MLB final best.

And your 8 favorites to play this year MLB final best.
I would really have to wait to see who makes the opening day rosters. I can tell you my likely future bets to win the World Series are the Astros and Padres. I make a lot of future MLB bets before season, but those are the only clubs I really like the value on in terms of winning the WS.

Perhaps the most interesting story line I’m watching is Baltimore. They got some absolute young studs coming up. It will be fun to watch them, especially after the trade deadline. Starting next year, I think they will have a 4 year window where they can really do something. They will need to spend on some pitching when the time comes. They remind me a lot of a decade ago when Kansas City hit on a bunch of draft picks and were bringing them through its system.

I would really have to wait to see who makes the opening day rosters. I can tell you my likely future bets to win the World Series are the Astros and Padres. I make a lot of future MLB bets before season, but those are the only clubs I really like the value on in terms of winning the WS.

Perhaps the most interesting story line I’m watching is Baltimore. They got some absolute young studs coming up. It will be fun to watch them, especially after the trade deadline. Starting next year, I think they will have a 4 year window where they can really do something. They will need to spend on some pitching when the time comes. They remind me a lot of a decade ago when Kansas City hit on a bunch of draft picks and were bringing them through its system.
I can't wait for the season to start. Kinda sick of NBA.

I never had much confidence in Bolt, even when he was a player. I thought he was soft, not tough enough to be a team leader.
IMO, from watching Bolt as a player, he was one of the toughest. His uniform was routinely the dirtiest on the team. As a matter of fact, after a game with Creighton where Bolt lead the team to victory, my son and I asked him, and only him, for an autograph on a ball, which he graciously signed. These last 4 games didn't end like we all wanted, but I for one am solidly behind Bolt. Baseball is all about momentum, let's see what the future holds.

Anyone care to adjust their thoughts for the season after the sweep? I'm encouraged, but cautiously optimistic going forward. Think we have better bats this year, but pitching is still an unknown for now. We'll learn more against good competition in MN. GBR!

I wa
Anyone care to adjust their thoughts for the season after the sweep? I'm encouraged, but cautiously optimistic going forward. Think we have better bats this year, but pitching is still an unknown for now. We'll learn more against good competition in MN. GBR!
I was quite down after that opening weekend. Looked like another soft team.

They clearly rallied this weekend and now I’m cautiously optimistic.

The bats are clearly better. Pitching is still suspect, but we did see a couple new arms this weekend and they did well. If Shay and Perry can get things figured out, we’ll be ok.

I’m heading to the games this week. Expect to hear some cheering.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back