• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2023 Kansas QB Avery Johnson/2023 Iowa QB JJ Kohl

Will be interesting to watch this kid's recruitment. I believe he is visiting Oregon this weekend and is also high on Ole Miss. We will have to see what kind of year Casey and Whip can muster up! Kid needs to put some weight on which I am sure he will over his Senior year.

Will be interesting to watch this kid's recruitment. I believe he is visiting Oregon this weekend and is also high on Ole Miss. We will have to see what kind of year Casey and Whip can muster up! Kid needs to put some weight on which I am sure he will over his Senior year.
He looks like he's one of the few in our country that needs to eat more, not less. But genetics can be quite an adversary. Kid has boatloads of talent, though.

Make no mistake, Nebraska has put the full-court press on Maize (Kan.) 2023 quarterback Avery Johnson
Head coach Scott Frost is expected to be in Wichita to see Johnson on Friday. If that's the case, it will be the third time the Husker staff has seen him in 15 days - the most possible stops you can make to see a prospect in January
This is a very similar approach the Huskers had with tight end recruit Thomas Fidone in January of 2020.

NU was late to the party on Johnson, but between Bill Busch, Mark Whipple and now Frost's expected visit, they appear to be caught up.
Johnson's father Mark told me earlier this week they also plan to visit Lincoln on the first weekend in March. They would've come up this weekend, but they already made plans to visit Arkansas.
Right now, the major players appear to be NU, Arkansas, K-State and Tennessee, but the Razorbacks and Wildcats are perceived to be the teams out front.

Last edited:
I think we are late to the party with this one. Appears he likes the idea of staying close to home. However I think our QB room is a little stacked right now with unproven guys. DONU may not need a QB in 23

JJ Kohl 4 * out of Iowa is a QB to keep an eye on

Would love to get this kid, but I would also have to think that Ferentz has been all over him for quite awhile, Gonna be hard to pull him outa Iowa. An Iowa QB right now has reasonable expectations of competing for the West Div title, and going 8-4, and to a descent bowl game...... things we are striving for...... we surely need some local difference makers like Kohl

JJ Kohl 4 * out of Iowa is a QB to keep an eye on
Agree!

Recall his dad is Kohl's Kicking Camp and kicked for Iowa State. His dad also has a relationship with Riola from time at the Bears so that probably helps the dialogue with the Husker program. Since he got the 4th star, he's been getting lots more visits and offers. The list is getting long with some good programs. I think Iowa State had the early edge. I don't think Iowa is really there as Brian Ferentz (OC) doesn't have a good reputation. And players that have transferred out of Iowa, comment on lack of visibility with Kirk Ferentz. I think Nebraska has been closing the gap as JJ Kohl has attended many Huskers camps/days in the last year. I think Whipple and Frost visits helped. JJ Kohl had some good players around him last year that probably helped make him look good. (Not a slam, as JJ is a really good player). It will be fun to see how he develops this year as a leader and athlete.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back