• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2023 Big Ten Baseball Tournament Discussion Thread

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
Going to be a lot more interest in this than last year. ;)

I think it's more wide open than typical. No clear best team, imo. No doubt some would argue in favor of Maryland. I kinda think Iowa might surprise (maybe shouldn't be considered a surprise). In the last six weeks, Iowa hasn't lost a series. And the Hawkeyes first round opponent is a floundering fish. Michigan comes in having lost 4 straight games (worst in the Big Ten).

Seriously, I do think it's more wide-open than typical. I can't say a hot Nebraska team that stays hot couldn't surprise. We've seen flashes this season -- just not enough when we most needed them. I think there's equal chance they flop against Rutgers in their first game. Anyone's guess. I'm interested to see.

Notes: Rutgers had the second-best team ERA in the Big Ten this season. 27th in the nation. Iowa was tops in the Big Ten and 17th in the nation. Wake Forest is #1 nationally -- by a wide margin.

Maryland is clearly the top hitting team after the regular season. Nebraska is right in the mix for second best. Nebraska and Michigan State are neck-and-neck in the national team batting average rankings (#35 MSU #36 NU).

1684655355822.png

Last edited:
Which offensive team shows up? When they are free swinging and sitting in a zone, they seem to play loose. When they take a lot of first pitch strikes, they tense up. You get 3 strikes so make them count. Sit dead-red on a zone and let it fly. If you miss, you still have 2 strikes to work with. Obviously, when they execute the small ball that really helps as well. Early in the year they could not bunt to save their backsides. Throw strikes and let the defense do their job. Bryce needs to cure the yips on his throws. Maybe as someone else mentioned, DH him and put a solid guy at short? I will not watch, but read the recaps. When I watch, they do not play so well, lol.

Which offensive team shows up? When they are free swinging and sitting in a zone, they seem to play loose. When they take a lot of first pitch strikes, they tense up. You get 3 strikes so make them count. Sit dead-red on a zone and let it fly. If you miss, you still have 2 strikes to work with. Obviously, when they execute the small ball that really helps as well. Early in the year they could not bunt to save their backsides. Throw strikes and let the defense do their job. Bryce needs to cure the yips on his throws. Maybe as someone else mentioned, DH him and put a solid guy at short? I will not watch, but read the recaps. When I watch, they do not play so well, lol.
So actually it is your fault! :Taunt: :Catfight::Popcorn:

Last edited:
The Big Ten Tournament runs Tuesday through Sunday in Omaha.

Here's what weather to expect this week.

Looks fairly quiet and straightforward.

Upper-70s to lower-80s for highs will be common Tuesday through Friday. Could warm up to the mid-80s on the weekend.

No rain chances. :)

@Sandhills Husker

It would be nice to see Nebraska go deep so the B1G could get a feeling of the support the other conferences get during the CWS.
Did you mean, the support the other conferences do  not get? If not, i'm not sure what you mean. Let me know, please. :)

[/QUOTE]
I was referring to crowd size. Watched the replay of Michigan/Rutgers last year. Maybe 300 people there. Even poor games at cws get half full stadium. If Nebraska goes deep we can expect large crowds. I get your point though. :)

Last edited:
I was referring to crowd size. Watched the replay of Michigan/Rutgers last year. Maybe 300 people there. Even poor games at cws get half full stadium. If Nebraska goes deep we can expect large crowds. I get your point though. :)
I have always bragged about how well husker fans attend
no one can touch us :Hooray: :Hooray: :Hooray:

Last edited:
When I left the house the baseball game was not on TV. Is there rain in some of the areas in the big ten

Never mind. Just came on a little late, it seems. Go, Spartans!! :Popcorn:

Last edited:

It would be nice to see Nebraska go deep so the B1G could get a feeling of the support the other conferences get during the CWS.
BTW, everyone knows Huskers fill the stands!! A couple years ago, when they had the post season playoffs in Minnesota, it was shameful!! They used the Twins or Vikings field ( not sure which one). What a joke!! It looked like a softball crowd for a game in a local park!! Totally embarrassing. At that time, they knew Omaha would do better, even if we did not play, yet they went ahead and made asses of themselves!! They, definitely could have made thousands and thousands of bucks more!! :Dighole:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back