• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Spring Practice Thread; Wednesday 6 April Coaches Joseph, Fisher & 3-4 Players &

If that’s the case, get his ass on the field somewhere else. Smothers is a helluva athlete, and imo, with some imagination, could get him some action. Athletes like him need to be contributing somehow. Slot, double backfield back, run a direct off set snap, then throw out of it (6 points), run some wildcat. Seems to me he is more than willing to do whatever he can to help the team. Use him.
Exactly!

Well, I hope things work out in a positive manner for NU and for him. However, it is disturbing to me that the coaching staff cannot seem to recruit and develop a QB and a backup QB to meet their needs. Relying on a portal system to attempt to find an instant "savior" at that position is nothing more than an educated crapshoot. We have seen the result for the past four years in Frost's decision to go with Martinez, come hell or high water. Other teams seem to develop talented players, why can't we? And, this is not exclusive to the QB position.
There's a new sheriff in town in charge of QB's. I don't know what the implication is for Whip in developing backups, but he's talked quite a bit about needing two guys ready to play because of the potential for injury to #1. The coaches responsible for developing QB depth in the past are gone (except Frost). And Frost has said several times that he'll be deferring to Whip on most things offensive.

With the way QBs moved in the portal ( ie USC & OU) it's not a Nebraska thing

Yup playing an athlete/RB at quarterback is always a crap shoot too
Yup, as Mickey said the other day, it's the way things are now. No sense fighting it or complaining about it or resisting it. The coaches who develop winning programs are going be those who embrace the portal as creating free agency among players, and using it to the teams advantage. Different times, but it doesn't have to be "worse times." We may even see some benefits this year, and we are just getting started utilizing the portal to any measurable degree. I think Scott working with Bill Snyder early in his career saw how he used JC transfers to his advantage to get more mature players in positions of need.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back