• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Recruiting Numbers Game & Other Updates; Part 6: Potential Silver Lining To NU's Small Class Numbers in 2022

You're right. We'll see....and likely not for three or four years.

So I may have missed the Omaha conversations of the past, but Omaha is no the Omaha of years past.

Yes, we should get first dibs on D1 kids in Omaha. No, we don't have the pull we did in years past and that's not entirely due to post Osborne Nebraska football's relative anonymity. When I lived in Nebraska in the early '70's, Omaha wasn't the melting pot from elsewhere it is now. Most kids wanted to go to NU, because they grew up there and...well....it was the state school AND really good. Now it's a mix of people from all over with ties to other parts of the country. That doesn't mean we dismiss an Omaha Burke kid because he only played two years there and his dad is a Boston College grad, but we don't get many automatics anymore. It's going to take winning football AND work by the staff to get back to most kids from Nebraska picking the Huskers first. Both of those things have to happen and regardless of how hard the staff has or hasn't worked, the winning pice hasn't been there.

Win this fall and things will start the slow climb back to what it was.
I think Omaha is a key to future success. It produces really good football players now and it's easier for them to come visit. We need to nail down the top talent in our area. You're right that winning this year makes that an easier task.

So I may have missed the Omaha conversations of the past, but Omaha is no the Omaha of years past.

Yes, we should get first dibs on D1 kids in Omaha. No, we don't have the pull we did in years past and that's not entirely due to post Osborne Nebraska football's relative anonymity. When I lived in Nebraska in the early '70's, Omaha wasn't the melting pot from elsewhere it is now. Most kids wanted to go to NU, because they grew up there and...well....it was the state school AND really good. Now it's a mix of people from all over with ties to other parts of the country. That doesn't mean we dismiss an Omaha Burke kid because he only played two years there and his dad is a Boston College grad, but we don't get many automatics anymore. It's going to take winning football AND work by the staff to get back to most kids from Nebraska picking the Huskers first. Both of those things have to happen and regardless of how hard the staff has or hasn't worked, the winning pice hasn't been there.

Nailed it

I never knew you were into recruiting until recently ;)

Or maybe I've missed something all these years?

Hope you will stick around in the future good or bad.....
You and I started PM'ing each other in 2017 about recruiting. That carried on for the next four years. That's how we started to get to know each other. None of that really matters though. What matters is that we start 5-1 and turn this recruiting class around.

Last edited:
I think Omaha is a key to future success. It produces really good football players now and it's easier for them to come visit. We need to nail down the top talent in our area. You're right that winning this year makes that an easier task.

Don't disagree that NU should be in the mix with most kids coming out of Omaha and that from a recruiting standpoint, we're talking lowest of the low hanging fruit. I've said this before in other conversations in other threads, winning will help but it didn't help even Osborne keep them all and that was recruiting a different Omaha. Some kids will go elsewhere no matter how much we win or how much time this or any other staff were to spend recruiting them. Do any of the kids who've signed elsewhere stay if last years record was 5-3 instead of 3-5? I don't know.

I like what they've got in the boat to date for '22 and I think they'll get what they need. Win and the '23 class will be easier to fill with the kids they're interested in.

This needs pointing out. Basil made a post directly related to the 2022 Husker recruiting class, but it wasn't a "yay things are great post." Two others respond and try to make it personal with Basil. Only Basil is warned. Is there a rule somewhere that only sunshine pumping is allowed? There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about recruiting and discussing it in a thread dedicated to this recruiting class seems a reasonable place to have that conversation.

Sorry for making a Christmas Vacation reference. In the future, I will refrain from trying to inject some humor in the conversation. Carry on.

Don't disagree that NU should be in the mix with most kids coming out of Omaha and that from a recruiting standpoint, we're talking lowest of the low hanging fruit. I've said this before in other conversations in other threads, winning will help but it didn't help even Osborne keep them all and that was recruiting a different Omaha. Some kids will go elsewhere no matter how much we win or how much time this or any other staff were to spend recruiting them. Do any of the kids who've signed elsewhere stay if last years record was 5-3 instead of 3-5? I don't know.

I like what they've got in the boat to date for '22 and I think they'll get what they need. Win and the '23 class will be easier to fill with the kids they're interested in.
We're never going to keep them all and I don't think most expect that, but you can't lose all of them. I like what we got out of the metro area last class, but 2022 hurts.

They said they were never coming to NU? Where was this documented? I don't recall ever seeing that. I know it was never a given and NU was going to have to work for it.
There was at least one kid who said from jump that he wanted to leave the state. He specifically said he wanted to see what else was out there. I specifically commented at the time that he might be the most likely to transfer back. The grass is not always greener.

We're never going to keep them all and I don't think most expect that, but you can't lose all of them. I like what we got out of the metro area last class, but 2022 hurts.

Maybe.

If we had a kid we wanted who was neutral on all his schools to start with and lands somewhere else, that hurts. I think we might be putting too much weight in the visual of going O’fer Omaha versus the reality of the impact.

This was a really good year for talent in Omaha and unfortunately we whiffed on most of it. I don't think anyone is debating that with the lower class size we might have our ranking drop some but due to Covid I think most class sizes are going to be a bit lower. The problem to date is that we are dead last in the conference and 9th in star rankings with zero 4 stars. It's pretty hard to sugar coat where we are and I don't hear alot of buzz or momentum being created. You would think with some of the big boys having the same issues with numbers and the huge number of kids in the portal that unless there were alot less 4 or 5 star talent this year, some of that might slide down Nebraska's way. It hasn't happened and the poor start to the SF era has to be viewed as the biggest reason. As usual, I hope I'm wrong and hope what I anticipate being a good season can peak some interest in time for the early signing date.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back