• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Recruiting Numbers Game & Other Updates; Part 6: Potential Silver Lining To NU's Small Class Numbers in 2022

Whiffing on one years excellent class in Omaha is bad enough but when you consider we lost a legacy kid to Iowa and another kid to Oregon the year before it stings even more. Then the best athlete playing QB in the state goes to a lower division and wont even consider us when we called late in the process because we ignored him early and his chances of going to the NFL are probably better at the FCS school he is going to. When you add all of this together it is a huge problem and it needs to get fixed very quickly.

There was at least one kid who said from jump that he wanted to leave the state. He specifically said he wanted to see what else was out there. I specifically commented at the time that he might be the most likely to transfer back. The grass is not always greener.
1 out of 4.

Whiffing on one years excellent class in Omaha is bad enough but when you consider we lost a legacy kid to Iowa and another kid to Oregon the year before it stings even more. Then the best athlete playing QB in the state goes to a lower division and wont even consider us when we called late in the process because we ignored him early and his chances of going to the NFL are probably better at the FCS school he is going to. When you add all of this together it is a huge problem and it needs to get fixed very quickly.
The part of the equation that continually gets missed here is the kid.
This class isnt done, and we dont know its outcome, other than its going to be freakishly small.
I'll take 4 out if state kids that want to be here than 4 instaters who dont, bottom line, and this isnt some snake oil, magic dust type of svengali act for those Omaha kids, they play the ultimate part in their decision making, now its up to the staff for them to regret their decisions

This was a really good year for talent in Omaha and unfortunately we whiffed on most of it. I don't think anyone is debating that with the lower class size we might have our ranking drop some but due to Covid I think most class sizes are going to be a bit lower. The problem to date is that we are dead last in the conference and 9th in star rankings with zero 4 stars. It's pretty hard to sugar coat where we are and I don't hear alot of buzz or momentum being created. You would think with some of the big boys having the same issues with numbers and the huge number of kids in the portal that unless there were alot less 4 or 5 star talent this year, some of that might slide down Nebraska's way. It hasn't happened and the poor start to the SF era has to be viewed as the biggest reason. As usual, I hope I'm wrong and hope what I anticipate being a good season can peak some interest in time for the early signing date.

We look at recruiting differently then.

Sure, stars are great. Buzz is great. Give me a solid class of kids who want to be in the program and I’ll take that over a higher star and conference recruiting ranking.

Maybe.

If we had a kid we wanted who was neutral on all his schools to start with and lands somewhere else, that hurts. I think we might be putting too much weight in the visual of going O’fer Omaha versus the reality of the impact.
When we are watching Indiana and Missouri land kids we want it hurts. When we are watching them land kids we want while we also go 0'fer on the 4 highest rated kids in state that's a problem. We talk about the 500 mile radius and instate kids all the time until we don't land them. Then the conversation is kids with character. That's lame. We also blamed losing a lot of the last two classes to transfers on COVID and distance from home. Reconcile that for me.

Sure, stars are great. Buzz is great. Give me a solid class of kids who want to be in the program and I’ll take that over a higher star and conference recruiting ranking.
When we develop like Iowa then maybe I'll agree. We just spent the last 3 years crapping on the talent in the program when Frost got here. Can't have it both ways.

The part of the equation that continually gets missed here is the kid.
This class isnt done, and we dont know its outcome, other than its going to be freakishly small.
I'll take 4 out if state kids that want to be here than 4 instaters who dont, bottom line, and this isnt some snake oil, magic dust type of svengali act for those Omaha kids, they play the ultimate part in their decision making, now its up to the staff for them to regret their decisions

Exactly.

There is an incorrect assumption that most Nebraska kids should be heavy Nebraska leans and only mistakes or lack of love by the staff will keep them from signing. I’m sure that has happened and will happens again, but I don’t think it’s why we’re where we’re at in Omaha or our recruiting rankings.

When we are watching Indiana and Missouri land kids we want it hurts. When we are watching them land kids we want while we also go 0'fer on the 4 highest rated kids in state that's a problem. We talk about the 500 mile radius and instate kids all the time until we don't land them. Then the conversation is kids with character. That's lame. We also blamed losing a lot of the last two classes to transfers on COVID and distance from home. Reconcile that for me.

I’m all in on getting the kids we want and the kids that fit in that 500 mile circle. We do need to be good at that, but it’s not ‘It’ for me.

Covid was different. Not sure I can reconcile anything or that I blamed anything in Covid.

I’m all in on getting the kids we want and the kids that fit in that 500 mile circle. We do need to be good at that, but it’s not ‘It’ for me.

Covid was different. Not sure I can reconcile anything or that I blamed anything in Covid.
My point is we blamed distance for losing kids to the portal while downplaying not getting a single commit from Omaha in this class. Going o'fer Omaha can't keep happening. It's concerning that it did and hopefully the staff is trying hard to correct that.

My point is we blamed distance for losing kids to the portal while downplaying not getting a single commit from Omaha in this class. Going o'fer Omaha can't keep happening. It's concerning that it did and hopefully the staff is trying hard to correct that.

It can’t, unless we don’t have any kids we want there. I do want to make sure everyone is tracking that a four star in Omaha May not be a guaranteed fit.

This team could use some All Conference type playmakers and quite honestly we haven’t had those nor are we having much success putting kids into the league. I can get on board with your philosophy if this staff has proven success at developing talent like say a Nortwestern staff. Over time this is going to slow our recruiting momentum in my opinion. Right now it’s hard to describe this current class as anything other than disappointing.

Last edited:

This team could use some All Conference type playmakers and quite honestly we haven’t had those nor are we having much success putting kids into the league. I can get on board with your philosophy if this staff has proven success at developing talent like say a Nortwestern staff. Over time this is going to slow our recruiting momentum in my opinion. Right now it’s hard to describe this current class as anything other than disappointing.
If those disappointments look like this, I'll take more of them

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back